Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
2020 Olympic Games
Stories 1 - 20 |
Both Beat the World Record,
but Only One Could Win Gold
Aug 4, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Both Beat the World Record, but Only One Could Win Gold
Sydney McLaughlin of the US wins Olympics' 400-meter hurdles event
- Sydney McLaughlin broke the world record. Dalilah Muhammad broke it, too. Only one of the world's best hurdlers could win the Olympic gold medal—and McLaughlin came out ahead in the latest installment of the best rivalry in track, the AP reports. The 21-year-old out of East Orange, NJ,...
US Medalist Raven Saunders
Does Protest Gesture at Podium
Aug 2, 2021 1:44 AM CDT
US Medalist Raven Saunders Does Protest Gesture at Podium
The 'X' arms likely violated Olympic rules, according to reports
- After Raven Saunders won a silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics on Sunday, the US shot-putter raised her arms in an 'X' above her head at the podium following the medal ceremony. The 25-year-old told the AP the X symbolizes "the intersection of where all people who are...
Ledecky Finally Tastes Gold
Jul 28, 2021 12:23 AM CDT
Ledecky Finally Tastes Gold
Hours after failing to medal, US swimmer claims first-ever gold in women's 1500
- When Katie Ledecky finally saw that familiar number next to her name, the emotions flooded to the surface at the Tokyo Aquatics Centre. She tumbled over the lane rope to give her runner-up teammate a hug. She let out an uncharacteristic scream toward the American cheering section in the mostly...
Alaska Has an
in an Unexpected Sport
Jul 27, 2021 12:41 AM CDT
Alaska Has an Olympic Champion in an Unexpected Sport
Lydia Jacoby pulls off stunning swimming upset
- Alaska is renowned for its majestic natural beauty. The snowy peaks. The glistening glaciers. The sparkling fjords. An Arctic paradise, for sure. Swimming? That’s never been much of a thing in the 49th US state. Until now. Seventeen-year-old Lydia Jacoby pulled off a stunning victory in the women’s...
Ends Floor Routine
With BLM Tribute
Jul 26, 2021 2:51 AM CDT
Olympic Gymnast Ends Floor Routine With BLM Tribute
Luciana Alvarado of Costa Rica raised fist in the air, knelt
- The first-ever Costa Rican gymnast to qualify for the Olympics used the end of her floor routine Sunday to make a big statement. Luciana Alvarado, 18, took a knee with one arm behind her back and the other raised in the air with a fist, NBC Olympics reports. (Watch the...
She Broke Away
at Start of Race,
Figured She'd Be
Jul 26, 2021 1:51 AM CDT
She Broke Away at Start of Race, Figured She'd Be Caught—but Wasn't
Anna Kiesenhofer stuns Olympic cycling with her gold medal win
- As Dutch champion cyclist Annemiek van Vleuten crossed the finish line of the Olympic women's road race Sunday, she raised her arms in the air, assuming she'd come in first. Not so: Anna Kiesenhofer, an Austrian cyclist who wasn't on any pre-race list of contenders, had crossed...
False Start in
After Boat Gets in Way
Jul 26, 2021 1:29 AM CDT
False Start in Olympic Triathlon After Boat Gets in Way
Some competitors were stuck on dock as boat with cameras tried to reverse
- Let's try that again, triathlon. The Olympic men's triathlon needed a do-over Monday when a bizarre start sent dozens of competitors into the water only to have others stuck on the dock, helplessly blocked by a boat containing cameras that got in the way, the AP reports. The...
Here's Who Won First-Ever
Olympic Skateboarding Medals
Jul 26, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Here's Who Won First-Ever Olympic Skateboarding Medals
Japan sweeps golds, takes first in both men's and women's contests
- Thirteen-year-old Momiji Nishiya of Japan won the first Olympic skateboard competition for women on Monday, giving the host nation a sweep of golds in the street event after Yuto Horigome won the men’s competition, also the Olympics' first ever, the AP reports. Rayssa Leal, a Brazilian who is also...
US Fencer Keep Him
Out of Olympic Village
Jul 23, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
Allegations Against US Fencer Keep Him Out of Olympic Village
Alen Hadzic appealed the decision, lost
- An alternate on the US fencing team is in Tokyo with the rest of the team, but he had to fly separately and is not allowed to train or live in the Olympic Village due to accusations of sexual misconduct that three women have made against him. Alen Hadzic, 29,...
Olympics Opening Ceremony
Director Fired for 1998 Joke
Jul 22, 2021 1:17 AM CDT
Olympics Opening Ceremony Director Fired for 1998 Joke
Kentaro Kobayashi made a Holocaust joke during a comedy show
- The Tokyo Olympic organizing committee fired the director of the opening ceremony on Thursday because of a Holocaust joke he made during a comedy show in 1998, the AP reports. Organizing committee president Seiko Hashimoto said a day ahead of the opening ceremony that director Kentaro Kobayashi has been dismissed....
Jul 19, 2021 1:33 AM CDT
Coco Gauff's Positive COVID Test Means No Olympics
It's not clear whether tennis star, 17, is vaccinated
- Teen tennis phenom Cori "Coco" Gauff will have to sit out the Tokyo Olympics after testing positive for COVID-19. Gauff, 17, said in a statement posted to Twitter on Sunday that she is "so disappointed." "It has always been a dream of mine to represent the...
Olympic Ban on
Caps for Black
in case you missed it
Jul 4, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Olympic Ban on Caps for Black Swimmers Leads to Backlash
Governing body for water sports has prohibited Soul Cap for hair that's 'volume blessed'
- Alice Dearing will be the first female Black swimmer to represent Great Britain at the Olympics in Tokyo, and she'd likely planned to wear her swim cap from Soul Cap, a brand she partnered with last year , during competition. Per the BBC , the Soul Cap brand is a larger...
Olympics Have Twice Forced
This Man From His Home
Jul 2, 2021 9:22 AM CDT
Olympics Have Twice Forced This Man From His Home
Kohei Jinno describes 'sad, lonely feeling' as start date approaches
- Kohei Jinno is among the minority in Japan who feel this summer's Olympic Games should go on. Otherwise, it would mean he was booted from his home of a half-century for nothing. The 87-year-old and his wife, Yasuko, were one of some 200 families forced out of a public...
Opts Out of
Jun 11, 2021 5:05 AM CDT
Swimmer Opts Out of Olympic Trials, Slams 'Perverts'
Australian swimmer says no more 'exploit[ing] young women and girls'
- "Let this be a lesson to all misogynistic perverts in sport and their boot lickers," said Australian swimmer Madeline "Maddie" Groves on Wednesday in her announcement that she would not be competing in her country's Olympic trials, which start Saturday. "You can no longer exploit...
Let the Games Go on
Jun 3, 2021 6:11 AM CDT
Olympics Chief: Let the Games Go on
'Biggest challenge will be how we can control and manage the flow of people'
- Are the Tokyo Olympics happening? Amid Japan's fourth wave of coronavirus cases and growing public resistance, a major newspaper has said the Games should be called off . Per Kyodo News , the country's top coronavirus adviser Shigeru Omi said Wednesday that the Games, if held, should be scaled down...
Major Japan Newspaper:
Tokyo Olympics Should
May 26, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
Major Japan Newspaper: Tokyo Olympics Should Be Canceled
'Asahi Shimbun' says the Games should not be held amid coronavirus pandemic
newspaper on Wednesday called for the Tokyo Olympics to be canceled with the games set to open in less than two months, the AP reports. It is the first of Japan’s major newspapers to make the move and joins some regional newspapers that have recently...
North Korea Decides
Olympics Are a No-Go
Apr 6, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
North Korea Decides Olympics Are a No-Go
Country cites coronavirus fears
- North Korea will not participate in the Tokyo Olympics this summer, citing coronavirus concerns. It's the first country to pull out of the games, the AP reports. The country's Sports Ministry said on Monday that its national Olympic Committee made the decision on March 25, wanting to "...
US Men's Soccer
Misses Olympics for
'Embarrassing' 3rd Time
Mar 29, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
US Men's Soccer Misses Olympics for 'Embarrassing' 3rd Time
That's the longest period without playing in the games in half a century
- For the third time in a row, US men's soccer missed qualifying for the Olympics. That's the program's longest period of time being kept from the Games in more than half a century, NBC Sports reports, and the first time it has missed three consecutive Games since...
Calls It Quits
Feb 12, 2021 12:36 AM CST
Tokyo Olympics President Calls It Quits
Yoshiro Mori resigns over sexist comments
- As expected , the president of the Tokyo Olympic organizing committee is stepping down. Yoshiro Mori officially announced his resignation Friday, the AP reports. The 83-year-old former Japanese prime minister had come under fire for sexist comments he made on Feb. 3, after which he initially refused to step down...
Feb 11, 2021 7:42 AM CST
Another Blow to Troubled Tokyo Olympics
Olympics chief Yoshiro Mori expected to resign over sexist remarks
- The chief of the postponed Tokyo Olympics is apparently feeling the pressure, because after refusing to resign for sexist comments he made on Feb. 3, he's now expected to call it quits. Former Japanese prime minister Yoshiro Mori, 83, is expected to resign during a Friday meeting of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Lindsay Lohan: He's My Husband Now
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
Another City Angry Over a Police Shooting
After Court Ruling, State Puts Limits on Concealed Guns
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.