Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
They Thought It Was a Drill.
Then, 'People Were Running'
Feb 19, 2022 11:00 AM CST
They Thought It Was a Drill. Then, 'People Were Running'
Rescue is on for 12 missing after ferry catches fire off coast of Greece
- Rescue teams in Greece searched a burning ferry Saturday for 12 people believed to be missing after it caught fire in the Ionian Sea while en route to Italy, while passengers described a frightening evacuation from the ship. After working all night to try to extinguish the blaze that broke...
Divers to Return to Site of
Ferry That 852 People Died On
Sep 8, 2021 2:52 PM CDT
Divers to Return to Site of Ferry That 852 People Died On
The M/S Estonia went down in 1994
- A privately-funded expedition, commissioned by relatives of the victims of the M/S Estonia ferry that sank in the Baltic Sea nearly 27 years ago, will dive into the vessel’s wreckage this month. It's the latest attempt to gain more insight into one of Europe’s worst peacetime maritime...
South Korea's Biggest
Manhunt Ever Is Over
Jul 24, 2020 8:58 AM CDT
South Korea's Biggest Manhunt Ever Is Over
Yoo Hyuk-kee, wanted after 2014 sinking of Sewol ferry, was nabbed at home in New York
- He may not have been steering the ferry that sank six years ago in South Korean waters, but Yoo Hyuk-kee was nevertheless a wanted man. Now Yoo—also known as Keith Yoo—is in police custody in New York, accused with other family members of embezzling millions from the company...
Fated to a Watery Grave,
All They Could Do Was Hug
Feb 20, 2020 10:34 AM CST
Fated to a Watery Grave, All They Could Do Was Hug
Car that plunged into sea in Miami might not have been put in 'park'
- The bodies of two longtime friends were found embracing in the back seat of a car that sank Tuesday after plunging off a Miami Beach ferryboat in what's being described as a freak accident. Emma Afra, 63, had driven her Mercedes-Benz to the front of the first of four...
Miami Ferry Loses Car,
Killing 2 Women Inside
Feb 19, 2020 7:15 PM CST
Miami Ferry Loses Car, Killing 2 Women Inside
Authorities investigate how the vehicle went overboard on the 7-minute trip
- Two women were killed this week when the car they were sitting in fell off a ferry in Miami. The car sank to the bottom of the 50-foot channel, the
reports, where Miami-Dade Fire Rescue divers found their bodies. It's not clear how the Mercedes went into the...
3 Ferries Capsize,
With Multiple Casualties
Aug 3, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
3 Ferries Capsize, With Multiple Casualties
Boats overturn in bad weather in the Philippines; dozens rescued
- Multiple people died and dozens others were rescued when three ferry boats separately capsized in bad weather Saturday between two central Philippine island provinces, the coast guard said. Coast guard spokesman Armand Balilo said it's not immediately clear if there were passengers or crewmen missing after the inter-island ferries...
At Least 83 Dead
in Ferry Disaster
Mar 21, 2019 2:47 PM CDT
At Least 83 Dead in Ferry Disaster
Ferry overloaded with people celebrating sinks in Iraq
- A ferry overloaded with people celebrating the Kurdish new year and Mother's Day capsized in the Tigris River near the Iraqi city of Mosul on Thursday, killing at least 83 people, including families, officials said. Many of the dead were women and children who could be seen struggling to...
Surprise Found in Capsized
Ferry's Engine Room
Sep 22, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Surprise Found in Capsized Ferry's Engine Room
Seems one man locked himself in there
- A survivor has been found inside a capsized Tanzanian ferry two days after the disaster on Lake Victoria, an official said Saturday, while coffins arrived for at least 167 victims and counting, the AP reports. An engineer was found near the engine of the upturned vessel, Mwanza regional commissioner John...
44 Dead as
on Lake Victoria
Sep 20, 2018 5:34 PM CDT
44 Dead as Ferry Capsizes on Lake Victoria
Not clear how many were onboard
- At least 44 people died when after a passenger ferry capsized on Lake Victoria, a Tanzanian official said late Thursday, and the death toll was expected to rise when rescue efforts resumed at daybreak. Thirty-seven people were rescued after the sinking Thursday afternoon, Mwanza regional commissioner John Mongella told the...
166 Missing in Lake
After Ferry Disaster
Jun 20, 2018 12:05 AM CDT
166 Missing in Lake After Ferry Disaster
Overcrowded boat sank in Sumatra Monday night
- As distraught and angry relatives pleaded for a bigger search effort, Indonesian officials revealed that 166 people are missing from a ferry sinking early this week at a popular lake in Sumatra, a much higher number than previously believed. The boat, overcrowded with passengers and motorbikes, didn't have a...
After Ferry Sank,
Survivors Floated for
Week Without Water
Jan 29, 2018 9:24 AM CST
After Ferry Sank, Survivors Floated for Week Without Water
Search operation continues 500 miles west of Kiribati
- A search and rescue operation is heating up in the Pacific Ocean near Kiribati, where passengers from a missing ferry were discovered Sunday. The 56-foot MV Butiraoi ferry was carrying at least 50 people, and perhaps 100, when it departed on a two-day, 150-mile trip from Nonouti to the island...
3 Years After Disaster,
Ferry Rises From
Mar 23, 2017 12:40 AM CDT
3 Years After Disaster, Ferry Rises From Watery Grave
Relatives of the missing watched Sewol operation
- A 6,800-ton South Korean ferry emerged from the water on Thursday, nearly three years after it capsized and sank into violent seas off the country's southwestern coast. It was an emotional moment for the country that continues to search for closure to one of its deadliest disasters ever,...
Captain Who Jumped Ship
Arrested After Ferry Disaster
Jan 2, 2017 12:30 AM CST
Captain Who Jumped Ship Arrested After Ferry Disaster
23 dead, 17 missing after Indonesia fire
- Four crew members who survived the New Year's Day ferry disaster in Indonesia have been arrested, including the captain, who was allegedly the first to jump ship when the Zahro Express caught fire off the coast of Jakarta. "A captain who abandons ship first is no captain at...
23 Dead So Far
After Fiery Ferry
Horror Off Indonesia
Jan 1, 2017 9:00 AM CST
23 Dead So Far After Fiery Ferry Horror Off Indonesia
At least 17 are still missing, nearly 2 dozen injured after New Year's Day disaster
- At least 23 people were killed and 17 others were missing after a ferry caught fire Sunday off the coast of Indonesia's capital, officials said. The vessel was carrying more than 230 people from Jakarta's port of Muara Angke to Tidung, a resort island in the Kepulauan Seribu...
US Man Saves Lives in
Philippines Ferry Disaster
Jul 2, 2015 4:16 AM CDT
US Man Saves Lives in Philippines Ferry Disaster
36 dead, 19 missing after Ormoc sinking
- A ferry carrying 173 passengers capsized today as it left a central Philippines port in choppy waters, leaving at least 36 people dead and 19 others missing, coast guard officials say. They say at least 118 passengers of the M/B Kim Nirvana were rescued by nearby fishing boats and coast...
Captain in Ferry Disaster
Sentenced to Life in Prison
Apr 28, 2015 5:49 AM CDT
Captain in Ferry Disaster Sentenced to Life in Prison
Lee Joon-seok previously only got 36 years
- The South Korean ferry captain responsible for last year's disaster that killed more than 300 people, mostly schoolchildren, was given an increased sentence of life in prison today by an appellate court that convicted him of homicide. A district court in November had sentenced Lee Joon-seok to 36 years...
At Least 31 Dead as Bangladesh Ferry Sinks
Feb 22, 2015 7:41 AM CST
At Least 31 Dead as Bangladesh Ferry Sinks
Cargo vessel plowed into it
- A river ferry carrying about 100 passengers capsized in central Bangladesh today after being hit by a cargo vessel, killing at least 31 people, officials said. A rescue operation was under way, but it was not clear how many people were missing. The ferry was struck by the cargo vessel...
Italy: Nearly 100
in Ferry Disaster
Dec 31, 2014 2:21 PM CST
Italy: Nearly 100 Unaccounted for in Ferry Disaster
But records of passengers remain a confusing mess
- There are still 98 people unaccounted for in the Greek ferry disaster, according to an Italian prosecutor, but that number is really murky: As the AP reports, discrepancies in the ship's records and a chaotic rescue effort mean officials don't know whether these people ever boarded the Norman...
2 Sailors Killed
in Recovery of
Dec 30, 2014 7:45 AM CST
2 Sailors Killed in Recovery of Stricken Ferry
As distress call comes in from another ship in the region
- Two Albanian sailors are the latest casualties in the Greek ferry disaster , killed today when they were hit by a line during attempts to secure the still-smoldering Norman Atlantic. One man died instantly, reports the AP ; the other died as medics worked on him. Dutch firm Smit Salvage is overseeing...
Rescued Ferry Rider:
'We Experienced the Titanic'
Dec 29, 2014 9:13 AM CST
Rescued Ferry Rider: 'We Experienced the Titanic'
Passengers describe chaos, trampling; 7 now confirmed dead
- Simultaneously battling driving rain, gale-force winds , freezing temperatures, flames, and smoke, Italian and Greek rescuers have painstakingly plucked all of more than 400 passengers and crew from a blazing ferry in the Adriatic Sea, reports CNN . In the course of the daylong rescue, they came upon four more bodies from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
Report: Before Mass Shooting, 15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
Carlson Asked Unexpected Person for Favor for His Son
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.