Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Apr 1, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Russians Keep Red Cross From Mariupol
Thousands of refugees reach inland city anyway by car and bus
- The International Committee for the Red Cross said it was unable to carry out an operation to bring civilians out of the shattered and encircled city of Mariupol by bus on Friday, but Ukraine said thousands of refugees nevertheless made it to safety. The Red Cross said its team had...
American Red Cross Workers
Air Their Grievances
Dec 28, 2021 11:05 AM CST
American Red Cross Workers Air Their Grievances
Some tell the 'Guardian' the pay and appreciation are lacking
- American Red Cross workers aren't happy these days, at least according to a piece from the
that details their grievances. Chief among them: low pay, inadequate staffing, and a general lack of appreciation. The
report comes as the Coalition of American Red Cross Unions, which represents...
on Blood Supply
Jun 23, 2021 3:05 PM CDT
US Facing 'National Crisis' on Blood Supply
Red Cross is warning of 'severe blood shortage' around the nation
- "Every two seconds, someone in the US needs blood," per the American Red Cross. Now, however, "crucial patient care" is getting pushed off thanks to what the group says is a "severe blood shortage" nationwide, per the
New York Times
. In a release issued June 14,...
Honduras Struggles for Relief
After Ravaging by Hurricanes
Dec 14, 2020 5:40 PM CST
Honduras Struggles for Relief After Ravaging by Hurricanes
With thousands living in shelters, COVID-19 fears build
- Nearly a month after being hit by the second of two November hurricanes, Honduras is struggling with the widespread loss of homes, farms, businesses, schools, roads, and bridges. Many are without power and clean water. People are still being rescued by boat, NPR reports, and cities are swamped by mudslides...
Blood Donation Rules
Changed—Likely for Good
Apr 3, 2020 12:51 AM CDT
Blood Donation Rules Changed—Likely for Good
New policy for gay men expected to stay in place
- The US government Thursday eased restrictions on blood donations from gay men and other key groups because of a drop in the nation's blood supply triggered by the coronavirus outbreak. The Food and Drug Administration's new policy aims to allow tens of thousands more Americans to give blood,...
Red Cross Angered a Country
by Revealing Her Name
Apr 16, 2019 7:37 AM CDT
Red Cross Angered a Country by Revealing Her Name
New Zealand says it never gave permission to release name of nurse held by ISIS
- New Zealand's government did not approve the International Committee of the Red Cross' decision to release the name of a New Zealand nurse held captive by ISIS in Syria, the country's foreign minister said Tuesday. Foreign Minister Winston Peters said an ICRC official's claim to have acted...
Dutch Red Cross Admits
'Painful' WWII Truth
Nov 5, 2017 12:35 PM CST
Dutch Red Cross Admits 'Painful' WWII Truth
Investigation finds it largely abandoned Jews
- The Dutch branch of the Red Cross did "little or nothing" to help Jews persecuted by Nazi occupiers in the Netherlands during World War II or those transported to camps elsewhere in Europe, a historian said Wednesday. The conclusions come in
Questions of Life and Death: The Netherlands Red
Red Cross VP
Squirms in Interview
on How Donations
Aug 31, 2017 11:18 AM CDT
Red Cross VP Squirms in Interview on How Donations Are Distributed
I 'really don't' know, exec admits to NPR on Harvey relief efforts
- In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, many have criticized the American Red Cross, with Facebook and others even directing those who want to help to donate to a different charity . The criticism isn't new: As NPR notes, there have long been reports that ARC misstates how donor dollars are...
Want to Help After Harvey?
Don't Donate to the Red Cross
Aug 29, 2017 11:03 AM CDT
Want to Help After Harvey? Don't Donate to the Red Cross
Jonathan M. Katz argues that the organization is flawed
- Hurricane Harvey has devastated Texas, and it's natural to want to help. But don't try to help by donating money to the American Red Cross, journalist and author Jonathan M. Katz writes on Slate . The disaster relief organization may be iconic, but it's far from effective,...
Trump Going to Benefit That
Will Raise Cash for Refugees
Feb 3, 2017 5:50 PM CST
Trump Going to Benefit That Will Raise Cash for Refugees
International Red Cross to support refugees affected by Trump's order
- President Trump will attend Saturday's annual International Red Cross Ball at Mar-a-Lago, which is expected to raise nearly $1 million for the charity, the
Palm Beach Post
reports. Some of that money will, in the words of a Red Cross spokesperson, be used to "provide basic support" for...
'Always Remember Us': Aleppo
Residents Post Final Goodbyes
Dec 13, 2016 7:41 AM CST
'Always Remember Us': Aleppo Residents Post Final Goodbyes
Reports of more than 80 civilians shot on sight, 'complete meltdown of humanity'
- If conditions could get incrementally worse than "barely survivable," they just did in Aleppo, Syria. The human rights arm of the United Nations says that forces supporting the Syrian regime have been entering homes in eastern Aleppo and murdering residents, with one report coming in that 82 civilians...
46% of Americans Say
Torture Is Acceptable
Dec 5, 2016 5:37 PM CST
46% of Americans Say Torture Is Acceptable
Red Cross poll finds surprising results
- Torture: OK or not OK? According to a new Red Cross poll, 46% of Americans find it acceptable to torture enemy combatants, the
reports. The same poll found that 33% of Americans consider torture "a part of war." But, if you're surprised by those numbers, the...
Red Cross Swimming Safety
Poster Deemed 'Super Racist'
Jun 28, 2016 12:30 AM CDT
Red Cross Swimming Safety Poster Deemed 'Super Racist'
Organization has apologized
- The Red Cross is apologizing after one of its water safety posters was called out as racist. The poster, which was spotted at multiple Colorado public pools, shows swimmers engaging in "cool" and "not cool" behavior in order to illustrate what is and is not OK to do...
Red Cross Takes Flak
Over Big-Tobacco Money
Jan 8, 2015 4:15 PM CST
Red Cross Takes Flak Over Big-Tobacco Money
International parent group pressures US affiliate to stop taking the donations
- When a parent tells you to do something, it's advisable to take heed. But a Reuters exclusive shows that despite private pressure from the International Red Cross, the American Red Cross continues to accept donations from Big Tobacco. The IRC says that by taking in tobacco dollars, the ARC...
After Storm, Empty Red Cross
Trucks Drove Around for Show
Oct 29, 2014 1:48 PM CDT
After Storm, Empty Red Cross Trucks Drove Around for Show
ProPublica, NPR team up for investigative report
- ProPublica and NPR are out with a joint investigative piece about the American Red Cross, and it's not pretty. You won't get very far into it before encountering this nugget regarding relief efforts on the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Isaac in 2012:
"During Isaac, Red Cross
Russia Sends Controversial
Convoy Into Ukraine
Aug 22, 2014 7:53 AM CDT
Russia Sends Controversial Convoy Into Ukraine
Kiev calls it an 'invasion'
- Russia sent dozens of aid trucks into rebel-held eastern Ukraine today without Kiev's approval, saying its patience had worn out with the Ukrainian government's stalling tactics. Ukraine called the move a "direct invasion." The move sharply raised the stakes in eastern Ukraine, for any attack on...
Red Cross Calls
Jun 27, 2014 7:43 AM CDT
Red Cross Calls Sandy Spending 'Trade Secret'
Won't say how it spent the $300M it raised
- The Red Cross raised more than $300 million for Superstorm Sandy disaster relief, but it is refusing to say how it raised or spent the cash. After ProPublica filed a public records request for the information, the Red Cross hired a law firm to block the release of some documents....
Red Cross: At Least 1.2K
Dead in Philippines
Nov 9, 2013 8:01 AM CST
Red Cross: At Least 1.2K Dead in Philippines
Toll from Typhoon Haiyan rising quickly
- The devastation from Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines is becoming clearer: The Red Cross now estimates that 1,000 were killed in the coastal city of Tacloban alone, and another 200 in Samar province, reports CNN . The first images from the region show widespread damage. The typhoon, which might end...
7 Red Cross
Oct 13, 2013 3:46 PM CDT
7 Red Cross Workers Kidnapped in Syria
Team was trying to bring medical aid to dangerous rebel-controlled area
- Another high-profile kidnapping in Syria's civil war: Gunmen have abducted a team of seven workers from the International Committee of the Red Cross, after stopping their convoy early today in northern Syria, according to an ICRC spokesman. The abduction took place near the town of Saraqeb in Idlib province...
Koreas Agree to
1st Reunions Since 2010
Aug 18, 2013 6:33 AM CDT
Koreas Agree to 1st Reunions Since 2010
But Pyongyang wants a carrot
- North Korea today accepted a South Korean offer for talks on reuniting families separated by war, but proposed separate talks on resuming lucrative tours to a scenic North Korean mountain in an apparent effort to link the two discussions. Last week, the two Koreas agreed to work toward a resumption...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Cyclist Accused of Killing Fellow Rider Is at Large
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
Destructive Jumping Worms Are Now in California
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.