Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
I'm 'So Ashamed'
May 23, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Russian Diplomat: I'm 'So Ashamed'
Boris Bondarev condemns invasion of Ukraine, then resigns
- That a diplomat in Geneva condemned Russia's invasion of Ukraine isn't a surprise. That the diplomat is from Russia most certainly is. Boris Bondarev, described by the
New York Times
as a mid-level diplomat who has worked for Russia's Foreign Ministry for two decades, publicly issued a...
Feb 28, 2022 6:43 PM CST
US Asks 12 Russian Diplomats to Leave
UN ambassador finds explanation inadequate
- US officials accused 12 Russian diplomats at the United Nations of "espionage activities" on Monday and asked them to leave the country. The US said the expulsions had been in the works for months, long before Russia invaded Ukraine, CNN reports. But Vassily Nebenzia, Russian ambassador to the UN,...
After Getting Visa Applications,
China Questions US Boycott
Dec 28, 2021 10:35 AM CST
After Getting Visa Applications, China Questions US Boycott
Biden administration says it's sending help for athletes and coaches, but not diplomats
- Given that the Biden administration earlier this month announced a diplomatic boycott of the Winter Olympics, China is asking why it's receiving visa applications for US government employees. That can be explained, the US answered: Those applications are for consular and security officers—not diplomats or high-ranking officials, the...
Embassy in Berlin
Nov 5, 2021 2:13 PM CDT
'Tragic Accident' Near Russian Embassy in Berlin Raises Eyebrows
Body of 35-year-old was found last month. Was he a diplomat or a spy?
- Last month, a man's body was discovered on the pavement outside the Russian Embassy in Berlin. Now, more news on who the man was, though details are still murky.
reports that the deceased was a Russian diplomat, and that he'd apparently fallen from an upper floor....
She Came to US to Work for
a Diplomat. It Was a Nightmare
Oct 23, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
She Came to US to Work for a Diplomat. It Was a Nightmare
Inside one domestic worker's allegations
- It was a chance meeting at a gas station that can only be described as incredible: Sri Yatun had been living in Los Angeles where she worked as the housekeeper, cook, and nanny for an Indonesian consular official and her husband. What she had been promised when she left her...
Diplomats: Canada Is Hiding
'Havana Syndrome' Cases
Apr 29, 2021 11:23 AM CDT
Diplomats: Canada Is Hiding 'Havana Syndrome' Cases
They claim personnel are being sent to Havana without knowing the risks
- A group of Canadian diplomats says their government is hiding cases of "Havana Syndrome," the mysterious illness affecting Canadian and US personnel in Cuba. In a letter to Foreign Affairs Minister Marc Garneau, nine diplomats who reported strange symptoms say "at least three additional cases were identified...
Feds Doubted the Kidnapping
Story. They Shouldn't Have
Apr 25, 2021 7:16 AM CDT
Feds Doubted the Kidnapping Story. They Shouldn't Have
The truth of John Patterson's 1974 disappearance was much more grim
- John and Andra Patterson had been living in Hermosillo, Mexico, for just two months when the 31-year-old John, a new member of the United States Foreign Service, was kidnapped. It was March 22, 1974, and as Brendan I. Koerner writes in a lengthy piece for the
, he was the...
Diplomats Take 34 Hours—
and a Push—to Leave N. Korea
Feb 26, 2021 9:49 AM CST
Diplomats Take 34 Hours— and a Push—to Leave N. Korea
Amid restrictions, final leg required hand-pushed rail trolley
- A group of Russian diplomats and their families had to travel more than 34 hours just to get out of North Korea, a journey that ended on a hand-pushed cart. Most methods of international travel, including plane and train, have been blocked in North Korea due to the coronavirus pandemic....
China: We Didn't
Ask US Diplomats
to Take Anal
Feb 25, 2021 8:12 AM CST
China: We Didn't Ask US Diplomats to Take Anal COVID Tests
Whether it happened or not, it's not going to be happening from this point forward
- No worries, American diplomats in China: You can keep your pants on. Per a report Wednesday in Vice , the Chinese government vowed this week to stop performing anal swab COVID tests on diplomats from the States, after news on that supposed occurrence prompted a complaint from the US State Department...
Report Finds Culprit
Dec 6, 2020 5:44 AM CST
Report Finds Culprit Behind Mystery US Diplomat Illnesses
'Directed' microwave energy apparently sickened envoys in Havana and China
- A new report by a National Academy of Sciences committee has found that “directed” microwave radiation is the likely cause of illness among American diplomats in Cuba and China. The study commissioned by the State Department and released Saturday is the latest attempt to find a cause for the...
British Diplomat Praised
as 'Hero and Gentleman'
After China Rescue
Nov 16, 2020 2:55 PM CST
British Diplomat Praised as 'Hero and Gentleman' After China Rescue
61-year-old consul saved drowning woman
- Diplomatic relations between China and Britain are currently tense—but one British diplomat is being praised as a "friend of China" after a dramatic rescue. Steven Ellison, the 61-year-old British consul general in Chongqing, took off his shoes and dived into a fast-flowing river on Saturday to rescue a...
Ambassador's Mustache That
Irked a Nation Is No More
Jul 27, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Ambassador's Mustache That Irked a Nation Is No More
Harry Harris' facial hair was too harsh a reminder of Japanese colonialism for some
- To most Americans, Harry Harris' mustache likely wouldn't cause a second glance. But to South Koreans, the US ambassador's facial hair became a lightning rod —and over the weekend, he finally shaved it off. The envoy headed to a barbershop in Seoul on Saturday to go under...
: Trump Made
Big Ask of US
Jul 22, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
: Trump Made Big Ask of US Ambassador on British Open
Sources: President pressured Woody Johnson to ask UK government to bring event to Turnberry
- Robert Wood Johnson IV, the New York Jets owner and Trump donor with no diplomatic experience before being tapped as the US ambassador to Britain, was apparently just the person the president thought could handle a big job: Ask the British government if it could help get the British Open...
Dozens of US Diplomats Fell Ill.
Then, an 'Extraordinary Step'
Jul 2, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
Dozens of US Diplomats Fell Ill. Then, an 'Extraordinary Step'
Officials at embassy in Riyadh contacted Congress when State Department failed to respond: 'NYT'
- Diplomats in the midst of a coronavirus outbreak inside the US Embassy in Saudi Arabia went outside official channels to reach out to Congress last month, fearing their health was in jeopardy. Dozens had fallen ill following a birthday barbecue, and a Sudanese driver for the diplomats had died, the...
John Negroponte's Daughter
Charged in Fatal Stabbing
Feb 16, 2020 5:36 AM CST
John Negroponte's Daughter Charged in Fatal Stabbing
Daughter of former top US diplomat is held in death of Maryland man after apparent argument
- A woman arrested on suspicion of fatally stabbing an acquaintance during an argument in a Maryland home has been identified as the daughter of a former US ambassador, reports the AP . Sophia Negroponte, 27, has been charged with first-degree murder in the stabbing death of Yousuf Rasmussen, 24, of Bethesda,...
Who Killed Teen
Immunity to Flee
Oct 7, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
Cops: Woman Who Killed Teen Used Diplomatic Immunity to Flee
Woman said to be wife of US diplomat had told UK police she had no plans to leave country
- She told UK police she wasn't planning on leaving the country after a car crash in which a teen was killed. Now, the parents of Harry Dunn are pleading with the wife of a US diplomat to return to England so they can "get some peace" after cops...
UK Ambassador to US Blasts
Trump in Leaked Memos
Jul 7, 2019 6:13 AM CDT
UK Ambassador to US Blasts Trump in Leaked Memos
Kim Darroch advised his own government that White House is 'inept,' 'dysfunctional'
- "Inept," "uniquely dysfunctional," and headed for a "crash and burn" might be terms you're used to seeing tossed around Facebook arguments and reality shows, but that is how the ambassador from America's closest ally is describing the president of the United States in...
Official Seethes Over Daughter
'Snatched Off the Streets'
Feb 20, 2019 6:00 PM CST
Official Seethes Over Daughter 'Snatched Off the Streets'
Seems North Korea repatriated Jo Song Gil's daughter from Italy
- "Those responsible for this will pay." A seething Italian official made that claim amid reports North Korea had snatched back the daughter of a diplomat who may have defected to the West, Reuters reports. Talk of the possible defection surfaced after Jo Song Gil, North Korea's acting...
After 14th Illness, Canada
Pulls Staff From Cuba Embassy
Jan 31, 2019 3:17 AM CST
After 14th Illness, Canada Pulls Staff From Cuba Embassy
Cuba calls move 'incomprehensible'
- Canada announced Wednesday it is removing up to half of the Canadians at its embassy in Cuba after another diplomat fell mysteriously ill. Canada has confirmed 14 cases of unexplained health problems since early 2017. Twenty-six workers at the US embassy in Cuba have also been affected, suffering a range...
US Diplomat Got
Dogs for Protection.
Then They Vomited Blood
in case you missed it
Nov 24, 2018 9:00 AM CST
US Diplomat Got Dogs for Protection. Then They Vomited Blood
Mother of sickened diplomat in China speaks out
- Of all the US diplomats in Cuba and China who have mysteriously fallen ill since late 2016, only one has been publicly named: Catherine Werner. She's also the only person who served in China and has been "medically confirmed" to have experienced what 26 Americans did in Havana,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.