Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Small Mummy at Cornell
Wasn't What It Seemed
May 12, 2022 2:47 PM CDT
Small Mummy at Cornell Wasn't What It Seemed
Carol Anne Barsody uncovers misidentified ibis
- A football-sized mummy, thought to hold an ancient Egyptian hawk, actually holds "something sacred." When and how the remains ended up at Cornell University are unclear, and it's also unclear why the mummy was mislabeled as a hawk. But Carol Anne Barsody, a master's student in...
Mummy That Escaped
Others' Fate Gives Up Secrets
Dec 28, 2021 8:54 AM CST
Mummy That Escaped Others' Fate Gives Up Secrets
Amenhotep I was never unwrapped, unlike other pharaohs found in 19th, 20th centuries
- Amenhotep I ruled Egypt from 1525 to 1504 BC, and his mummy managed to escape the fate of many others: Though it was discovered in 1881, it was never unwrapped in modern times, with a press release saying it's the only royal mummy found in the 19th and 20th...
Mummy May Rewrite
the History of Mummies
in case you missed it
Oct 30, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Mummy May Rewrite the History of Mummies
Remains in Egypt may be oldest ever found by about 1,000 years
- A dignitary named Khuwy who lived about 4,400 years ago just might end up being one of the more famous mummies in history. Provided his story checks out. Archaeologists in Egypt say the remains discovered in 2019 could prove that Egyptians were carrying out sophisticated mummifications about 1,000...
Alleged Cult Leader
Dies, Followers Apparently
Can't Part With Her
May 5, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Alleged Cult Leader Dies, Followers Apparently Can't Part With Her
7 members of Love Has Won religious group kept mummified remains of Amy Carlson in home
- Police say a man returned to his rural Colorado home last week to find a mummified woman, who "appeared to be set up in some type of shrine." The face, with missing eyes, was caked in glittery makeup, and the body was wrapped in a sleeping bag and...
Scan Reveals Big Surprise:
a Pregnant Mummy
Apr 29, 2021 2:42 PM CDT
Scan Reveals Big Surprise: a Pregnant Mummy
It might be a first; researchers were expecting to find a male Egyptian priest
- When researchers from the Warsaw Mummy Project in Poland began examining an Egyptian mummy with X-ray scans, they expected to be looking at a male priest. Instead, the scans revealed the mummified person was actually a woman about 7 months pregnant, reports the
. It's more than a small...
Egypt Just Moved the
Remains of 22 Royal Mummies
Apr 4, 2021 5:31 AM CDT
Egypt Just Moved the Remains of 22 Royal Mummies
They'll go on display at the new National Museum of Egyptian Civilization
- They've been dead for centuries, but on Saturday they were on the move. NPR reports that 22 ancient Egyptian royal mummies were paraded from the nearly 120-year-old Egyptian Museum in Tahrir Square to the new National Museum of Egyptian Civilization. The Pharaohs' Golden Parade, as the spectacle was called,...
Pharaoh Who Risked His Life
'to Liberate Egypt' Died Horribly
Feb 17, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Pharaoh Who Risked His Life 'to Liberate Egypt' Died Horribly
Study suggests a bound Seqenenre Tao was attacked on all sides
- The death of Seqenenre Tao is said to have indirectly led to the reunification of ancient Egypt, which was divided during the pharaoh's lifetime in the 16th century BC. Only now do we know what exactly that death entailed. Researchers studying the mummy of the pharaoh, first discovered in...
What Did the 3K-Year-Old
Mummy Say? 'Eeuuughhh'
Jan 24, 2020 10:32 AM CST
What Did the 3K-Year-Old Mummy Say? 'Eeuuughhh'
Sound emerges from reconstructed vocal tract of ancient Egyptian priest Nesyamun
- "Every Egyptian hoped that after death their soul would be able to speak," says University of York Egyptologist Joann Fletcher—who just sort of made that happen, at least for one 3,000-year-old Egyptian. But the priest who served under Rameses XI didn't confess of a good...
From Egypt, Another
Kind of Mummy
Nov 23, 2019 4:40 PM CST
From Egypt, Another Kind of Mummy
Exhibition of animal mummies in Saqqara includes crocodiles, birds, and cats
- Egypt's Ministry of Antiquities on Saturday revealed details on recently discovered animal mummies, saying they include two lion cubs as well as several crocodiles, birds, and cats, the AP reports. Items from the new find were displayed at a makeshift exhibition at the famed Step Pyramid of Djoser in...
Has Been Found
Mar 6, 2019 1:09 PM CST
Crusader Knight's Stolen Head Has Been Found
Mummified head was found after Dublin police got a tip
- An 800-year-old Crusader knight has been reunited with his head. The mummy was decapitated and the head stolen from the crypt of Dublin's St. Michan's church over the weekend of Feb. 23-24, but Dublin police, acting on a tip, have now recovered the head. The church's archdeacon...
Hidden in Rock Chambers,
Egypt's First Big Find of 2019
Feb 2, 2019 8:30 AM CST
Hidden in Rock Chambers, Egypt's First Big Find of 2019
40 mummies, including 10 that were children, unearthed at Tuna El-Gebel necropolis in Minya
- Egypt says it just made what Ahram Online calls its "first antiquities discovery of 2019," and it's a big one: a number of ancient burial chambers containing some 40 mummies at the Tuna El-Gebel necropolis in the desert province of Minya, south of Cairo, the AP reports....
Reaction to Revolting
Let Us Drink It
Jul 23, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
Reaction to Revolting Sarcophagus Liquid? Let Us Drink It
Or so reads a petition with 17K signatures
- Where there's a will, there's a way? A 2,000-year-old black sarcophagus was opened last week and revealed the revolting : three skeletons, a vile red liquid, and a terrible smell. Now there's a Change.org petition going from people who are fighting for the right to drink...
FBI Solves the Mystery
of an Ancient Severed Head
In Case You Missed It
Apr 7, 2018 2:09 PM CDT
FBI Solves the Mystery of an Ancient Severed Head
In an Egyptian tomb belonging to Djehutynakht and his wife, there was just one head
- It has to rank among the less usual undertakings doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital had attempted: In 2009 they removed a molar from a severed Egyptian mummy's head via an endoscope with grasping forceps they inserted through the neck. The tooth was a hopeful clue in a nearly...
Research on 'Alien' Skeleton
Causes Outrage in Chile
Mar 29, 2018 3:45 AM CDT
Research on 'Alien' Skeleton Causes Outrage in Chile
Body of stillborn girl was dug up near church
- A tiny skeleton long rumored to be some kind of alien-human hybrid is actually the body of a stillborn baby girl , researchers say—and the finding has caused outrage in Chile, where the body was dug up near an abandoned Catholic church in 2003. Chilean scientists say it appears that...
Egyptian Coffin Is 'Dowdy,'
but the Inside Is 'Astonishing'
Mar 27, 2018 8:37 AM CDT
Egyptian Coffin Is 'Dowdy,' but the Inside Is 'Astonishing'
An Egyptian sarcophagus is found to contain mummified remains
- An archaeologist a continent away from Egypt made what he calls an "unbelievably astonishing" discovery: a 2,500-year-old coffin that had always been assumed to be empty actually wasn't. Australian scientists led by Dr. Jamie Fraser of the University of Sydney's Nicholson Museum tells the BBC the...
Truth About Mummified
'Alien' Skeleton Revealed
Mar 23, 2018 2:15 AM CDT
Truth About Mummified 'Alien' Skeleton Revealed
'Ata' was human girl with severe genetic mutations
- You can definitely see why the tiny mummified skeleton—found inside a leather pouch behind an abandoned church in Chile's Atacama Desert in 2003—had many claiming an alien had been discovered. The 6-inch skeleton—nearly 2 inches shorter than the shortest baby ever born—had a cone-shaped head,...
It Looks Like a Smudge.
But Its Significance Is Huge
Mar 1, 2018 11:25 AM CST
It Looks Like a Smudge. But Its Significance Is Huge
Mummy tattoos among the oldest ever found, say scientists
- The ancient Egyptian mummy has been a favorite attraction at the British Museum since it was discovered a century ago in Gebelein, but only keen-eyed passers-by would've wondered at the dark smudges on the male's upper arm. Turns out, they were worth noticing. Infrared scans have revealed them...
These Mummy Legs Likely
Belong to a Great Queen
Dec 2, 2016 5:00 AM CST
These Mummy Legs Likely Belong to a Great Queen
Researchers think they are the remains of Egypt's Nefertari
- Archaeologists say they've likely identified the mummified remains of "one of the truly great and important queens of Egypt," in the same league as Nefertiti and Cleopatra. Three portions of mummified legs found more than a century ago in the looted tomb of Queen Nefertari—wife of...
Preserved Fetus Is Likely
Youngest Egyptian Mummy
May 12, 2016 4:12 PM CDT
Preserved Fetus Is Likely Youngest Egyptian Mummy
It is believed to have been miscarried at less than 18 weeks
- A tiny coffin believed for a century to be holding the organs of some ancient Egyptian or other actually contains what is likely the youngest mummy ever discovered, Discovery reports. Archaeologists dug up the 17-inch coffin in Giza, Egypt, in 1907, and it was handed over to the Fitzwilliam Museum...
Still Startle in
Dec 13, 2015 6:59 AM CST
Bizarre Mummies Still Startle in Remote Zone
Villagers in Papua New Guinea used unusual smoking process
- "Their facial expressions were cut straight out of a Hollywood scream-fest," writes Ian Lloyd Neubauer, describing 14 smoked corpses found in an indentation under a cliff above the village of Angapenga in Papua New Guinea. The remains, he writes for the BBC , were "arranged on bamboo scaffolding...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Bodycam Footage Shows Akron Officers Opening Fire
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
Child Dies in Hot Car While Mother Is at Work
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.