Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
China's Most Famous Mogul
Has a New Gig in Japan
May 1, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
China's Most Famous Mogul Has a New Gig in Japan
Jack Ma, who disappeared after angering Chinese bank regulators, is teaching at Tokyo College
- It appears that Chinese mogul Jack Ma is indeed settling into life in Japan. Ma, once China's richest person, has taken a teaching position at Tokyo College, reports Insider . The 58-year-old founder of Alibaba largely disappeared from public view after criticizing Chinese bank authorities in a 2020 speech, setting...
Jan 7, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Jack Ma Gives Up Control of Ant Group
Billionaire's voting rights in fintech giant to fall to 6.2%
- Ant Group announced Saturday that Jack Ma will no longer be in control of the Chinese fintech giant. The billionaire has no executive job or board seat at Ant but has continued to control the company through other entities. Ant Group is moving to cut its reliance on Ma, the...
Jack Ma Vanished
Jan 20, 2021 7:23 AM CST
Jack Ma Vanished in October, Suddenly Reappears
Chinese billionaire seen at virtual educators conference after being 'missing' for months
- Everyone worried about Jack Ma can breathe (a little) easier. The Chinese billionaire hadn't been seen or heard from—not even via social media—since the end of October, when he gave a scathing speech against Chinese regulators that enraged President Xi Jinping. Now, however, an encouraging update: "...
Friends of Jack Ma
in case you missed it
Jan 9, 2021 4:35 PM CST
Friends of Jack Ma 'Can't Believe How Stupid He Was'
Speculation mounts as he slips off the radar after angering China's Xi Jinping
- The most common headline related to China at the moment is some variation of the same question: Where is Jack Ma ? Speculation continues to mount on the whereabouts of the Chinese tycoon, often referred to as the Jeff Bezos of China. Ma hasn't been seen or heard from...
Jack Ma Erased From TV Show
As Troubles at Home Mount
Jan 3, 2021 6:30 AM CST
Jack Ma Erased From TV Show As Troubles at Home Mount
The Chinese billionaire has been replaced on 'Africa's Business Heroes," which he created
- Chinese billionaire Jack Ma has been erased from a reality TV show he created in a sign of continued friction with Beijing. The founder of Alibaba, often called China's Amazon, will not appear on the finale of
Africa's Business Heroes
, where he's been replaced as a judge...
Cracking Down on
Dec 24, 2020 9:20 AM CST
Regulators Are Cracking Down on 'China's Amazon'
'A concern would be that market power may potentially morph into political power'
- The Chinese government is extremely wary of anything that could pose a challenge to one-party rule—including the growing power of tech giants. Regulators announced Thursday they're cracking down on Alibaba, an e-commerce giant known as "China's Amazon," and its financial services sister company Ant, formerly...
Nov 3, 2020 5:46 PM CST
China Blocks $35B IPO
Regulators call off Ant Group offering planned for Thursday
- Two days before Ant Group was scheduled to go public in what could have been a $35 billion event, the largest IPO ever, Chinese regulators have called it all off. Not only is the IPO originally planned for Thursday in doubt, Bloomberg reports, but the fintech giant might face an...
This IPO Could
Raise a Record $35B
Oct 26, 2020 5:40 PM CDT
This IPO Could Raise a Record $35B
Chinese fintech Ant Group giant hopes to top Saudi Aramco's sale last year
- The world's largest fintech company, China's Ant Group, will try to raise nearly $35 billion in a huge public offering of stock that would shatter records. Alibaba-affiliated Ant Group, which operates a suite of financial products including the Alipay digital wallet in China and one of the world'...
Prince William: Help Save
Earth, Win a $1.3M Prize
Oct 8, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Prince William: Help Save Earth, Win a $1.3M Prize
5 Earthshot awards will be given out each year until 2030 in quest to 'fix our planet'
- Prince William has joined forces with Sir David Attenborough to launch a new environmental award Thursday, the Earthshot Prize, which has grand ambitions to "incentivize change and help to repair our planet over the next 10 years." The prize takes its inspiration from the "moon shot" challenge...
One of World's Richest Men
Gives Self Unique Birthday Gift
Sep 10, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
One of World's Richest Men Gives Self Unique Birthday Gift
Jack Ma, founder of Alibaba, steps down on his 55th birthday
- Jack Ma turns 55 on Tuesday, and China's richest man is celebrating with a milestone move: He's stepping down as executive chairman of the country's e-commerce behemoth Alibaba. He's doing so "after presiding over one of the most spectacular creations of wealth the world has...
10 Most Admired
Men, Women in World
Jul 19, 2019 12:57 PM CDT
10 Most Admired Men, Women in World
Michelle Obama and Bill Gates lead their respective lists
- Michelle Obama is not only the most admired woman in America , but also in the world, according to new poll. Market research firm YouGov asked 42,000 people in 41 countries to name the men and women they most look up to, and Obama's name came up a lot,...
Billionaire's Plan to Create 1M
US Jobs Killed by Trade War
Sep 20, 2018 6:25 AM CDT
Billionaire's Plan to Create 1M US Jobs Killed by Trade War
Jack Ma of Alibaba says 'this promise can't be completed'
- Take your pick as to which of these statements from Alibaba founder Jack Ma is gloomier: He's going back on his pledge to create 1 million US jobs , and the US-China trade war that he blames for that plan's undoing is one that he believes could last two...
Decades of 'Pain' Coming
Apr 24, 2017 9:32 AM CDT
Alibaba Honcho: Decades of 'Pain' Coming
Jack Ma says turmoil caused by internet is inevitable around the world
- How's this for a bleak tech warning: "In the next 30 years, the world will see much more pain than happiness." It comes from Jack Ma, founder of the online Chinese retailing behemoth Alibaba, as quoted by Bloomberg . "Social conflicts in the next three decades will...
Mar 23, 2017 11:29 AM CDT
Names World's 10 Best Leaders
Theo Epstein, Jack Ma top the list
- The world's greatest leaders aren't necessarily heading countries. Indeed, the greatest leader is US politics is an Army general, according to
's fourth annual list of the world's 50 greatest leaders. However, each individual on the list—43 of whom appear for the first time—...
Alibaba Founder: US Spent
$14T on the Wrong Thing
Jan 19, 2017 7:07 AM CST
Alibaba Founder: US Spent $14T on the Wrong Thing
'You're supposed to spend money on your own people,' not war, Jack Ma said
- Tempted to blame China for your economic woes, America? Take a look in the mirror instead. That was the message of Alibaba founder Jack Ma Wednesday at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, where he wagged a finger at the US for blowing $14 trillion on war efforts over...
What Trump Talked About
With China's 2nd-Richest Man
Jan 9, 2017 4:32 PM CST
What Trump Talked About With China's 2nd-Richest Man
Trump and Jack Ma had a 'great meeting'
- Donald Trump met with Jack Ma, currently China's second-richest man , Monday, calling it a "great" discussion. Ma's e-commerce company Alibaba "claims it can create 1 million US jobs by helping small businesses sell their products to China and Asian consumers," the AP reports. Ma told...
Launch $1B Fund
Dec 12, 2016 3:35 AM CST
World's Richest Band Together, Launch $1B Fund
Bill Gates is leading clean energy technology venture
- Bill Gates has lined up more than a dozen of his fellow billionaires to go where many investors now fear to tread: cleaner energy technologies. Gates announced Sunday night that he's leading the Breakthrough Energy Ventures fund, which plans to invest up to $1 billion in technology that could...
Chinese President Says 'Cheese' With US Tech Giants
Sep 24, 2015 7:50 AM CDT
Chinese President Says 'Cheese' With US Tech Giants
Zuckerberg even put on a suit for the occasion
- One way to get the head of Apple to visit the Microsoft campus: Tell him it's picture day with the president of China. Tim Cook and other technology bigwigs—including Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg, Amazon's Jeff Bezos, and Alibaba's Jack Ma—gathered yesterday in Redmond, Wash., for...
Says Being Filthy
Rich Is a 'Great Pain'
Nov 12, 2014 12:57 PM CST
Alibaba Founder Says Being Filthy Rich Is a 'Great Pain'
Jack Ma says he's 'not happy,' that spending money is harder than it seems
- Jack Ma feels your pain—that is, if you regularly experience the pain of being extremely, insanely rich and have to endure spending all your money all the time. The Alibaba founder spoke yesterday to CNBC from Alibaba headquarters in Hangzhou, China, telling David Faber that being China's richest...
Alibaba: It Passes
Sep 19, 2014 12:27 PM CDT
Investors Love Alibaba: It Passes Facebook's Market Value
It opens 35% higher than IPO price
- Alibaba's long-awaited debut on the New York Stock Exchange hasn't disappointed. The Chinese e-commerce behemoth opened at $92.70 per share, about 35% above its IPO price of $68, reports
. The frenzied demand pushed the company's market value to $228.5 billion, ahead of even...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.