Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Malaysia Airlines MH17
Stories 1 - 20 |
5 Years After MH17 Was
Shot Down, Murder Charges
Jun 19, 2019 7:57 AM CDT
5 Years After MH17 Was Shot Down, Murder Charges
3 Russians, one Ukrainian are named
- MH17 was downed over the Ukraine on July 17, 2014, while en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur. Now, the first criminal charges in the case. The BBC reports international arrest warrants have been issued for Igor Girkin, Sergey Dubinskiy, and Oleg Pulatov of Russia and Leonid Kharchenko of the...
2 Nations Hold
for Downing Jet
May 25, 2018 12:50 PM CDT
2 Nations Hold Russia Responsible for Downing Jet
Netherlands, Australia plan to seek legal compensation over MH17 crash in 2014
- "The only conclusion we can reasonably now draw is that Russia was directly involved in the downing of MH17," Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said Friday—a day after investigators concluded the missile system used to bring the plane down over eastern Ukraine in 2014 belonged to the...
Investigators Link MH17
Disaster to Russian Military
May 24, 2018 6:11 AM CDT
Investigators Link MH17 Disaster to Russian Military
Missile came from Russian military, in military convoy: investigators
- The missile system used to shoot down MH17 over eastern Ukraine four years ago, killing 298 people, came from the Russian military, Dutch investigators revealed Thursday. Investigators previously concluded the Malaysia Airlines flight was shot down on July 17, 2014, by a missile launched by a Russian-made Buk missile system...
Russia-Made Kids Bed Modeled
on Launcher That Shot MH17
Oct 4, 2016 2:39 PM CDT
Russia-Made Kids Bed Modeled on Launcher That Shot MH17
Furniture-maker doesn't see a problem
- A Dutch probe into what and who shot down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 over Ukraine in July 2014 is now pointing the finger at a surface-to-air missile brought into play by Russia. Which is why, perhaps, some people are outraged that a Russian furniture company has opted to design a...
Russian Missile Shot Down
Sep 28, 2016 8:03 AM CDT
Russian Missile Shot Down MH17: Investigators
Evidence in Dutch-led probe points to Buk missile brought into Ukraine from Russia
- Dutch-led criminal investigators said Wednesday that after a two-year probe, they have solid evidence a Malaysian jet was shot down by a Buk missile moved into eastern Ukraine from Russia, the AP reports. Wilbert Paulissen, head of the Dutch National Police's Central Crime Investigation department, said communications intercepts showed...
Couple Who Lost
3 Kids in Plane Crash
Welcome an 'Amazing Gift'
May 12, 2016 5:35 PM CDT
Couple Who Lost 3 Kids in Plane Crash Welcome an 'Amazing Gift'
A new daughter brings 'light to our darkness'
- An Australian couple who described living "in a hell beyond hell" after their three children were killed in a 2014 plane crash welcomed an "amazing gift" this week: a brand-new daughter, the
reports. When Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was brought down by an anti-aircraft missile over the...
Likely Didn't Suffer
Oct 13, 2015 7:00 AM CDT
Dutch Report: MH17 Passengers Likely Didn't Suffer
Russian-made missile exploded 3 feet from cockpit, shrapnel in pilots' bodies
- A Dutch report on the MH17 crash concludes the plane was shot down by a Russian-made Buk surface-to-air missile that struck the front left side of the plane near the cockpit, Dutch Safety Board Chairman Tjibbe Joustra said at a press conference on Tuesday. The report, the result of a...
Physical Proof of Missile Possibly Found at MH17 Site
Aug 11, 2015 7:59 AM CDT
Physical Proof of Missile Possibly Found at MH17 Site
But prosecutors aren't even going so far as to say there's a 'causal connection'
- Dutch prosecutors have said for the first time that they have found possible parts of a BUK missile system at the site in eastern Ukraine where Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was brought down last year , killing all 298 people on board. Prosecutors say in a statement today the parts "...
4 Months on,
Pieces of MH17
Nov 16, 2014 6:33 AM CST
4 Months on, Workers Begin Picking Up Pieces of MH17
Recovery long delayed in rebel-held area of Ukraine
- Workers in rebel-controlled eastern Ukraine began to collect debris from the crash site of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 today, four months after the plane was brought down. The operation is being carried out under the supervision of Dutch investigators and officials from the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe....
Aussie PM Threatens
to 'Shirtfront' Putin
Oct 14, 2014 3:51 AM CDT
Aussie PM Threatens to 'Shirtfront' Putin
Russian embassy mocks Abbott's Aussie Rules talk
- If Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott walks it like he talks it, next month's G20 summit in Brisbane could be a more feisty affair than usual: Vladimir Putin will be in attendance, and Abbott says he plans to "shirtfront" the Russian leader over the downing of Malaysia Airlines...
MH17 Victim's Body Found
With Oxygen Mask On
Oct 9, 2014 9:46 AM CDT
MH17 Victim's Body Found With Oxygen Mask On
Dutch prosecutors says mask strap found on neck of Australian passenger
- The body of one passenger of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was found wearing an oxygen mask, Dutch prosecutors revealed today, raising questions about how much those on board knew about their fate when the plane plunged out of the sky above Eastern Ukraine in July. The passenger, an Australian, didn'...
Sep 18, 2014 9:59 AM CDT
Mystery Donor Offers $30M Reward for MH17 Culprit
German investigative firm says offer is legit, with funds held in Zurich
- Everyone wants to know who shot Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 out of the skies over Ukraine in July, but one unknown entity
wants to know—and is apparently willing to pony up $30 million for the answer. Wifka, a German private-investigation firm, says it has a client who's...
Sep 9, 2014 7:49 AM CDT
'High-Energy Objects' Downed MH17: Dutch Report
Safety board's findings suggest missile to blame
- Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was likely struck by multiple "high-energy objects from outside the aircraft," causing it to break up over eastern Ukraine, a preliminary report into the disaster concluded today. The report by the Dutch Safety Board stopped short of saying the Boeing 777 was shot down...
Investigators Get Access
to MH17 Crash Site
Jul 31, 2014 7:59 AM CDT
Investigators Get Access to MH17 Crash Site
Ukraine parliament approves 950 armed troops to secure site
- International investigators were finally able to access the Malaysian Airlines Flight 17 crash site today after a week of frustrated attempts . Ukraine halted its military campaign in the Donetsk region, though Kiev says pro-Russian separatists are not respecting requests by the UN to cease fighting near the crash site, Reuters...
Mines at MH17
Jul 30, 2014 10:10 AM CDT
Rebels Planting Mines at MH17 Site: Ukraine
Fighting between rebels, government forces kill 19
- Pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine have laid mines near the Malaysian Airlines Flight 17 crash site, making the "work of the international experts impossible," says government security spokesman Andriy Lysenko. Dutch crash investigators were again thwarted in their fourth day of frustration in trying to reach the site. Organization...
Jul 28, 2014 12:05 PM CDT
Pols Demand Missile Defenses on Airliners
Thousands of surface-to-air missiles believed owned by terrorists
- A pair of prominent legislators are reviving a decade-old measure that would outfit passenger planes with anti-missile technology, at a cost of up to $2 million per $200 million plane, the
New York Post
reports. Sen. Charles Schumer and Rep. Steve Israel want on-board lasers, warning systems, flares, and infrared...
Jul 28, 2014 8:57 AM CDT
Black Boxes: MH17 Downed by 'Explosive Decompression'
Missile 'did what it was designed to do'
- Malaysia Airlines Flight 17's black boxes have revealed that the plane was brought down by a "massive explosive decompression” after its fuselage was pierced by shrapnel from a missile explosion, a Ukrainian security spokesman tells the AP . "It did what it was designed to do—bring down...
From MH17 Site
Jul 28, 2014 7:40 AM CDT
Heavy Fighting Blocks Investigators From MH17 Site
UN calls downing of MH17 a war crime
- Heavy fighting has turned back international investigators for a second day from the site where Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 was brought down. The Ukrainian military has launched a major offensive against pro-Russia rebels, and it's no longer clear who's in control of the crash site, reports the
'Flees' $3M Pad
Jul 25, 2014 4:37 PM CDT
Putin's Daughter 'Flees' $3M Pad in Holland
Maria Putin was told that 'it's time you leave'
- Vladimir Putin's daughter may be
persona non grata
in Holland, and you can imagine why. Maria Putin, 29, hasn't been seen around her posh riverside flat in a town outside of Amsterdam since Malaysia Flight 17 went down in Ukraine, with 193 Dutch people among the victims, the...
Ukraine Rebels Had Missile,
Jul 24, 2014 3:03 AM CDT
Ukraine Rebels Had Missile, Commander Admits
He accuses Ukraine of engineering crisis
- Pro-Russia insurgents in eastern Ukraine did have a Buk missile system of the kind believed to have been used to shoot down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17, a rebel commander admits. Alexander Khodakovsky, commander of the Vostok Battalion, tells Reuters that rebels in Luhansk had the missile system, but it's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Senator's Angry, Heartbroken Speech on Texas School Shooting Goes Viral
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
A Decade-Long Uber Strategy Comes to an End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.