Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
US Airlines Are Having
Lots of Close Calls
Aug 21, 2023 11:55 AM CDT
US Airlines Are Having Lots of Close Calls
'New York Times' investigation discoverers nearly 50 last month alone
- On the bright side, no US airline has had a fatal air crash since 2009, the longest such streak on record, reports the
New York Times
. The flip side? Close calls are happening with what the newspaper calls "alarming" regularity. The newspaper's investigation, based on a review of...
Tell His Wife
There's a Shark
Jul 1, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Tell His Wife There's a Shark Behind Her
Ricky Tribble didn't want Malea Tribble to panic as she paddleboarded to the safety boat he was on
- A paddleboarder raising money for charity as part of a long-distance relay had quite the close call last weekend when a shark appeared to be stalking her in the water. WPBF reports that Malea Tribble of Fort Lauderdale was about halfway through the 80-mile-plus journey from Bimini in the Bahamas...
Huge Rock Slide Misses
Village by a Whisker
Jun 16, 2023 11:54 AM CDT
Huge Rock Slide Misses Village by a Whisker
Residents of Brienz, Switzerland, evacuated last month, just in case
- Residents of the tiny Swiss village of Brienz had to evacuate last month because geologists feared a massive rock slide was imminent. The geologists were proved to be correct overnight Thursday, though the massive rock slide stopped short of the village by a matter of feet. Remarkable images show the...
Cop Narrowly Avoids Getting
Crushed by Speeding Car
May 3, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Cop Narrowly Avoids Getting Crushed by Speeding Car
Crash in Fairfax County, Virginia, involved teen going 'well over 120mph," officials say
- A Virginia police officer is shaken but lucky to be alive after narrowly escaping being crushed by a speeding car in Fairfax County. WUSA9 reports on the accident on the southbound Fairfax County Parkway, where the officer had made a traffic stop just after noon on Monday. A dashcam video...
'It Looked Like
He Was Basically
Mar 3, 2023 3:50 PM CST
'It Looked Like He Was Basically Sliding Down the Mountain'
Man records snowboarder, skier caught in avalanche at New Hampshire's Mount Washington
- RJ Phipps was hiking up Tuckerman Ravine on Mount Washington over the weekend with his wife when he took out his camera to shoot a snowboarder and skier. Within seconds, Phipps watched as the two men were nearly engulfed by an avalanche, and he caught it all on video . The...
Woman's Close Encounter With
Boulder Has Hearts Pounding
Feb 1, 2023 11:25 AM CST
Woman's Close Encounter With Boulder Has Hearts Pounding
Giant rock came crashing through her Oahu home, narrowly missing her
- A woman on the Hawaiian island of Oahu got a most terrifying welcome to her new home. Caroline Sasaki was walking into the living room over the weekend when a huge crash shocked her and her family members: A 5-by-5-foot boulder had barreled down a hill and right through the...
JFK Has a Close Call:
'Cancel Takeoff Clearance!'
Jan 15, 2023 4:25 PM CST
JFK Has a Close Call: 'Cancel Takeoff Clearance!'
American plane taxied across runway in front of departing Delta 737
- The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating after an airliner crossed the path of another about to take off Friday night at John F. Kennedy International Airport. The crew of a Delta Air Lines Boeing 737 was able to abort takeoff, CNN reports, and the plane stopped less than 1,000...
Somehow, a Driver
Survived This Crash
Dec 30, 2022 4:05 PM CST
Somehow, a Driver Survived This Crash
Video and images from scene of Connecticut accident show guardrail that impaled vehicle
- Looking at these images from a car accident last week along a Connecticut highway, your first thought will likely be, "Well, that doesn't look good." Officials from a local fire department near Hartford, however, say the driver is A-OK, despite a guardrail that impaled the car and...
Guy Finds Lost $1M
Lottery Ticket in Parking Lot
Mar 18, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
Guy Finds Lost $1M Lottery Ticket in Parking Lot
Close call for an almost unlucky Tennessee man
- No one was more excited than Nick Slatten when he discovered he'd hit it big last week in the Tennessee lottery—and no one was more frantic than Nick Slatten when he subsequently lost the winning ticket. Slatten, who lives in Sparta, had picked up a Tennessee Cash ticket...
Boy Was Building Tree House
When Screw Entered His Brain
Jan 27, 2018 4:19 PM CST
Boy Was Building Tree House When Screw Entered His Brain
Doctor says Darius Foreman was 'a millimeter from death's door'
- Johns Hopkins' chief of pediatric neurosurgery tells WJLA that young Darius Foreman "was a millimeter from death's door." The seventh-grader was building a tree house Jan. 20 in Maryland when he fell from a branch and a 5-foot board landed on his head. His cousins' mom came...
He Heard a Report, Checked a
Pocket ... and Now Has $24.1M
Oct 13, 2017 1:49 PM CDT
He Heard a Report, Checked a Pocket ... and Now Has $24.1M
Jimmie Smith had winning lottery ticket in shirt pocket for nearly a year
- Always check your shirt and pants pockets before you throw your clothes in the wash, or even before you hang them back up in your closet, especially if you've recently purchased a lottery ticket. Jimmie Smith found that out this spring when he was watching the evening news in...
Cruise Ship Just
Misses Jet Skiers
Mar 13, 2017 7:21 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Just Misses Jet Skiers
Young women rescued right before Carnival Magic barreled into them off Florida coast
- "There's people on a Jet Ski … right in front of the boat, and now we're going to hit the Jet Ski." That's an observer's play-by-play in a YouTube video now making the rounds after a very close call in Florida waters over the...
Harrison Ford's Harrowing
45 Seconds Captured on Video
Feb 22, 2017 4:09 AM CST
Harrison Ford's Harrowing 45 Seconds Captured on Video
He mistakenly flies low over airliner
- Video released Tuesday shows a plane piloted by Harrison Ford suddenly and mistakenly flying low over an airliner with 110 people aboard at a Southern California airport. The 45 seconds of soundless video show the 74-year-old star's potentially serious mishap at John Wayne Airport in Orange County last week,...
Dec 16, 2015 7:15 PM CST
Tiny Kitten Rescued From Recycling Plant Conveyer Belt
He was spotted by a worker sorting recyclables
- A worker at a Northern California recycling center saved a tiny kitten from certain death when he spotted the animal heading down a conveyor belt. Tony Miranda tells television station KCRA he was sorting recyclables Tuesday when he found the pink-nosed, white-pawed cat between the debris and scooped it up....
Women Run Over by Train, Survive, Flee the Scene
Jul 30, 2014 10:49 AM CDT
Women Run Over by Train, Survive, Flee the Scene
Cops have identified 2 alleged trespassers
- A camera mounted on a 14,000-ton freight train in southern Indiana captured what was likely a heart-stopping moment for the engineer: the sight of two women lying down on the tracks right before the train ran them over. Even though the engineer thought he had struck and killed the...
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.