Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Israel Hits West Bank With
Biggest Strikes Since 2006
Jul 3, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Israel Hits West Bank With Biggest Strikes Since 2006
At least 8 Palestinians killed in refugee camp, with 50 injured
- Israel struck targets in a militant stronghold in the occupied West Bank with drones early Monday and deployed hundreds of troops in the area, reports the AP , in an incursion that resembled the wide-scale military operations carried out during the second Palestinian uprising two decades ago. Palestinian health officials said...
Risk 'All-Out War'
Aug 5, 2022 12:52 PM CDT
Israeli Airstrikes Risk 'All-Out War'
At least 8 are killed, 40 hurt in Gaza; Israel says it was targeting Islamic Jihad
- Israel unleashed a wave of airstrikes in Gaza on Friday, killing at least eight people, including a senior militant, and wounding another 40, according to Palestinian officials. Israel said it was targeting the Islamic Jihad militant group in response to an "imminent threat" following the arrest of a senior...
Hours After Signing Grain Deal,
Russia Attacks Port: Ukraine
Jul 23, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Hours After Signing Grain Deal, Russia Attacks Port: Ukraine
Official calls airstrike 'a spit in the face' to UN, Turkey
- No sooner had Russia signed an agreement to let grain shipments again flow through the Ukrainian city of Odessa than the port was hit by an airstrike. Among those condemning the attack Saturday was the secretary-general of the UN, who had helped broker the deal , along with Turkey's president,...
Ukraine: 'Vile' Airstrike
Leaves at Least 21 Dead
Jul 2, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Ukraine: 'Vile' Airstrike Leaves at Least 21 Dead
Zelensky's office: Russia fired 3 missiles on apartment building, campsite in Serhiivka
- A Russian airstrike on residential areas killed at least 21 people early Friday near the Ukrainian port of Odesa, authorities reported, a day after the withdrawal of Moscow's forces from an island in the Black Sea had seemed to ease the threat to the city. Video of the attack...
Russians Resume Kyiv Attacks
Jun 26, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Russians Resume Kyiv Attacks
Missiles strike residential buildings in capital
- Russia attacked the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv in the early hours of Sunday morning, striking at least two residential buildings, Mayor Vitali Klitschko said, as elsewhere Russian troops consolidated their gains in the east. AP journalists in Kyiv saw rescue services battling flames and rescuing civilians. Klitschko said four people...
Rocket Attacks Shake
Security of Lviv
Mar 26, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
Rocket Attacks Shake Security of Lviv
No city in Ukraine is safe now, new arrival says
- Multiple rockets struck Lviv on Saturday, injuring at least five people and unnerving the western Ukraine city that people have fled to for its relative safety during the Russian invasion. An oil depot and a factory linked to the military were hit, the regional governor said. A large plume of...
Biden Orders Airstrikes
in Iraq, Syria
Jun 28, 2021 6:12 AM CDT
Biden Orders Airstrikes in Iraq, Syria
Targeting Iran-backed militias
- The US military, under the direction of President Biden, has conducted airstrikes against what it said were “facilities used by Iran-backed militia groups” near the border between Iraq and Syria. Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby said the militias were using the facilities to launch unmanned aerial vehicle attacks against...
Amid Deadly Israeli Airstrike,
Fears of an 'Intifada'
May 15, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Amid Deadly Israeli Airstrike, Fears of an 'Intifada'
10 family members, including 8 children, die in Gaza City, raising concerns of Palestinian uprising
- An Israeli air raid in Gaza City killed at least 10 Palestinians, mostly children, early Saturday in the deadliest single strike since the battle with Gaza's militant Hamas rulers erupted earlier this week. Both sides pressed for an advantage as ceasefire efforts gathered strength. The latest outburst of violence...
'We Know What
We Hit' in Syria
Feb 26, 2021 6:44 AM CST
Defense Chief: 'We Know What We Hit' in Syria
Lloyd Austin says he recommended airstrikes to Biden
- "I'm confident in the target that we went after, we know what we hit," Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told reporters Thursday after the US launched airstrikes in Syria , targeting facilities near the Iraqi border used by Iranian-backed militia groups. The Pentagon said the strikes, Biden's first...
US Airstrike Hits Syria Target
Tied to Iran-Backed Militias
Feb 25, 2021 7:05 PM CST
US Airstrike Hits Syria Target Tied to Iran-Backed Militias
Attack is first military action taken under Biden
- President Biden ordered an airstrike in Syria on Thursday, after recent rocket attacks launched on US forces in Iraq. The target was a structure thought to be used for smuggling weapons by two Shia militias backed by Iran, CNN reports. The goal of the US attack was to hurt the...
Triggered 'Huge Explosion'
on Syria-Iraq Border
Jan 10, 2020 2:51 AM CST
Report: Airstrikes Triggered 'Huge Explosion' on Syria-Iraq Border
Activists say unidentified planes hit targets
- Unidentified planes struck targets in Syria near the border with Iraq on Friday, reports said, triggering "a huge explosion" amid soaring tensions in the region between the US and Iran. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the planes targeted positions belonging to pro-Iran militias in the Boukamal area,...
a Key Question
Dec 30, 2019 9:29 AM CST
After US Counterstrike, a Key Question
Will violence between US forces and Iranian-backed forces escalate or diminish?
- Over the weekend, the US launched a total of five airstrikes —three in Iraq and two in Syria—against a militia it blames for rocket attacks against Americans. Now that militia, as well as Iran, is condemning the airstrikes and warning about retaliation. The details:
US: We Just Hit Iraq and Syria
Dec 29, 2019 12:32 PM CST
US: We Just Hit Iraq and Syria
The US is targeting militia blamed for killing an American
- The US says it has carried out military strikes in Iraq and Syria targeting a militia blamed for an attack that killed an American contractor, the AP reports. US forces conducted "precision defensive strikes" against five sites of Kataeb Hezbollah, an Iran-backed Iraqi militia, Defense Department official Jonathan Hoffman...
Sep 11, 2019 1:26 AM CDT
US Carpet-Bombs 'ISIS-Infested' Island
40 tons of bombs were dropped on Iraq island
- The US-led coalition says American warplanes have dropped 40 tons of bombs on an Island in the Tigris River "infested" with ISIS members. The coalition said F15 and F35 warplanes took part in the bombing on Qanus Island in the central province of Salaheddine, north of Baghdad, the AP...
Airstrikes on Rebel-Run
Prison Kill More Than 100
Sep 2, 2019 2:58 AM CDT
Airstrikes on Rebel-Run Prison Kill More Than 100
It was deadliest strike on Yemen so far this year
- Yemen is reeling from what has been described as the deadliest attack so far this year after multiple airstrikes by a Saudi-led coalition hit a detention center run by the country's Houthi rebels, killing at least 100 people and wounding dozens. The center in southwestern Dhamar province had around...
Amnesty: US Is Killing
Civilians in Somalia
Mar 20, 2019 5:08 AM CDT
Amnesty: US Is Killing Civilians in Somalia
Pentagon disputes report
- There is credible evidence that US military airstrikes in Somalia have killed or wounded nearly two dozen civilians, an international human rights group said Tuesday, charging that the Pentagon is not adequately investigating potential casualties. US Africa Command officials immediately disputed the allegations laid out in a report by Amnesty...
Israel Makes Rare Move
After Syria Airstrikes
Jan 21, 2019 12:11 AM CST
Israel Makes Rare Move After Syria Airstrikes
Military confirms that it hit Iranian targets
- In an extraordinary statement, the Israeli military confirmed early Monday that it attacked Iranian military targets in Syria, hours after carrying out a rare daylight air raid near the Damascus International Airport. The statement was issued hours after Israeli missile defenses intercepted an incoming missile over the Golan Heights in...
After Child Deaths in Yemen,
Democrats Write 3 Letters
Aug 16, 2018 8:12 AM CDT
After Child Deaths in Yemen, Democrats Write 3 Letters
House and Senate Democrats want info on US involvement in Yemen airstrikes
- Three letters over the last three days. That's how many messages House and Senate Democrats have penned this week demanding the US be forthcoming with information on its involvement in Yemen after an airstrike there last week killed at least 40 kids . Critics say there could be thousands of...
Kids on Bus Killed
in Yemen Airstrike
Aug 9, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Kids on Bus Killed in Yemen Airstrike
Saudi-led coalition launched the attack after rebels fired at the kingdom
- An airstrike hit a bus in a market in northern Yemen on Thursday, killing at least 43 people, including children, and wounding as many as 63, according to Yemen's rebel-run Health Ministry. The airstrike came from the Saudi-led coalition fighting Shiite Houthi rebels in the country, and the coalition...
Apr 14, 2018 2:00 PM CDT
Radio Pundit Openly Weeps Over Syria Airstrikes
- Pundits are calling the latest airstrike in Syria everything from "a restrained operation" to a risky move that could throw the US into "a cycle of escalation" in the Syrian conflict. Supporters of President Trump from Fox News and other conservative outlets were surprisingly negative, with Infowars' Alex...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Police Shove Officials in Election Document Raid
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.