Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Global Reaction to Variant
Angers South Africa
Nov 26, 2021 5:25 PM CST
Global Reaction to Variant Angers South Africa
Government and travel industry feel punished for transparency and scientists' quick work
- South Africa's government and travel industry have responded angrily to travel restrictions imposed by the US, Britain and other nations over the latest coronavirus variant . Health Minister Joe Phaahla, at a press conference Friday, said the travel bans "are completely against the norms and standards as guided by...
House Answers Trump's
Travel Ban With Bill
Apr 21, 2021 5:32 PM CDT
House Answers Trump's Travel Ban With Bill
Biden administration backs curbs on presidential power
- The Democratic-led House passed legislation Wednesday designed to constrain a president's power to limit entry to the US, a response to former President Trump's travel ban covering five Muslim-majority countries. President Biden reversed the travel restrictions in one of his first moves in office, easing limits on Iran,...
Jun 24, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
New Zealand Makes an Exception for James Cameron
Director and crew given entry to nearly virus-free nation to shoot 'Avatar' sequels
- No outsiders are generally allowed inside New Zealand these days as the nation continues its three-month-old travel ban to keep COVID-19 in check . If you're James Cameron, however, there's a little wiggle room. Bloomberg reports that the director and a 30-person crew have been bestowed with an exemption...
Disney Gives the World
Good Coronavirus News
Mar 14, 2020 11:20 AM CDT
Disney Gives the World Good Coronavirus News
But sadly the world has its youngest coronavirus case: a newborn
- Amid all the negative COVID-19 stories, a good one from Disney:
will be available for streaming three months earlier than expected, CNN reports. New Disney CEO Bob Chapek says the movie's "powerful themes of perseverance and the importance of family" are "incredibly relevant during this...
New Travel Ban
Feb 1, 2020 10:00 AM CST
Trump Issues New Travel Ban
But critics decry the move as racist or nakedly political
- President Trump has expanded his 2017 travel ban to include six more countries with sizeable Muslim populations,
reports. Announced Friday, the new plan will block overseas visas for nationals of Nigeria, Myanmar, Kyrgyzstan, and Eritrea, and keep people from Tanzania and Sudan from entering America via the diversity...
US Bars All Flights Into Cuba,
With One Exception
Oct 26, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
US Bars All Flights Into Cuba, With One Exception
Planes from United States can only go into Havana in new travel ban
- If you'd planned to travel to Cuba, you still can—but only one of the country's 10 main airports will be open starting next month. Per CBS News , at the direction of Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, the US has banned all flights to the island nation, save...
Oct 26, 2018 9:47 AM CDT
Pompeo's Request for Khashoggi's Son: Granted
Travel ban in Saudi Arabia apparently lifted, Salah Khashoggi is now in US
- When Mike Pompeo met with the Saudis in Riyadh earlier this month , the secretary of state made one specific request, per a State Department rep: "He wanted Salah Khashoggi returned to the United States." Reuters reports that now appears to have taken place, with sources saying Salah Khashoggi—...
Sotomayor Calls Out Trump's
'Unrelenting Attack' on Muslims
Jun 26, 2018 2:07 PM CDT
Sotomayor Calls Out Trump's 'Unrelenting Attack' on Muslims
Travel ban dissent is scathing, but president hails vindication against 'hysterical' critics
- The travel ban stands . So ruled the Supreme Court on Tuesday in a ruling that President Trump was quick to celebrate, reports NBC News . In a statement, he said the decision reaffirms his authority to act in the name of national security, adding that it "is also a moment...
Chad's Inclusion in Travel Ban
Blamed on Office Supplies
Oct 19, 2017 7:51 AM CDT
Chad's Inclusion in Travel Ban Blamed on Office Supplies
Passport paper, specifically
- When President Trump added Chad last month to his most recent installment of travel restrictions, everyone from the Pentagon to Chad's leaders to the French government was perplexed. The US has praised Chad's cooperation on counterterrorism, especially its campaign against a vicious Boko Haram insurgency spilling over from...
Latest Version of Trump
Travel Ban Dealt Blow
Oct 17, 2017 5:03 PM CDT
Latest Version of Trump Travel Ban Dealt Blow
Hawaii judge blocks it
- A federal judge in Hawaii blocked the Trump administration Tuesday from enforcing its latest travel ban just hours before it was set to take effect, saying the president's revised order "suffers from precisely the same maladies as its predecessor." It was the third set of travel restrictions...
Supreme Court Cancels Trump
Travel Ban Arguments
Sep 25, 2017 2:57 PM CDT
Supreme Court Cancels Trump Travel Ban Arguments
After Trump rolls out new policy
- The Supreme Court has canceled arguments set for Oct. 10 in the dispute over President Donald Trump's travel ban, after Trump rolled out a new policy Sunday. The unsigned order from the justices Monday asks both sides to weigh in by Oct. 5 about what to do with the...
New Trump Travel Ban
Affects 8 Countries
Sep 25, 2017 12:22 AM CDT
New Trump Travel Ban Affects 8 Countries
N. Korea, Venezuela added to list
- Citizens of eight countries, including North Korea and Venezuela, will face new restrictions on entry to the US under a proclamation signed by President Trump on Sunday that will replace his expiring travel ban. The new rules, which will impact the citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria,...
Sep 22, 2017 12:12 PM CDT
New Travel Ban Rules May Start Sunday
Officials say country-specific restrictions to replace Trump's travel ban
- Earlier this month, the Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Trump administration on one facet of the president's travel ban—but that may all be moot now, with reports filtering in that the ban on travelers from six Muslim-majority countries may now be supplanted by country-specific restrictions. Sources...
Supreme Court Blocks
Ruling That Eased Refugee Ban
Sep 13, 2017 12:01 AM CDT
Supreme Court Blocks Ruling That Eased Refugee Ban
Order will affect 24K people
- The Supreme Court is allowing the Trump administration to maintain its restrictive policy on refugees. The justices on Tuesday agreed to an administration request to block a lower court ruling that would have eased the refugee ban and allowed up to 24,000 refugees to enter the country before the...
Appeals Court Has Good News
for Grandparents, Refugees
Sep 7, 2017 6:49 PM CDT
Appeals Court Has Good News for Grandparents, Refugees
Court rejects Trump administration's travel ban interpretation
- A federal appeals court on Thursday rejected the Trump administration's limited view of who is allowed into the US under the president's travel ban, saying grandparents, cousins, and similarly close relations of people in the US should not be prevented from coming to the country, the AP reports....
Hands Trump a
Travel Ban Loss
Jul 19, 2017 1:25 PM CDT
Supreme Court Hands Trump a Travel Ban Loss —and Win
Grandparents are 'bona fide' relationships
- The Trump administration must allow visitors from six Muslim-majority nations into the US if they already have a grandparent, cousin, or other relative in the country, according to a 6-3 ruling by the US Supreme Court on Wednesday. The Supreme Court stated in June that Trump's travel ban could...
On Travel Ban, Judge Hands
a Victory to Grandparents
Jul 14, 2017 8:03 AM CDT
On Travel Ban, Judge Hands a Victory to Grandparents
Decision out of Hawaii allows them as exceptions to the travel restrictions
- A judge in Hawaii delivered a setback to President Trump's travel ban on Thursday with a ruling that might sound unusual in any other context: Grandparents, he declared, count as "close family." The decision involves the White House move to ban visitors from six mostly Muslim nations,...
Impact of Trump Travel Ban
Could Come Down to 2 Words
Jun 27, 2017 10:17 AM CDT
Impact of Trump Travel Ban Could Come Down to 2 Words
Impact might depend on how strictly gov't lawyers interpret the court's words
- President Trump hailed the Supreme Court's decision to partially reinstate his travel ban as a "clear victory" on Monday, but the practical applications are a little murkier. That's largely because of the limitation the court applied: The ban, it said, can't affect anyone with "a...
Trump Is Back to Using a Term
That May Cause Legal Issues
Jun 5, 2017 8:04 AM CDT
Trump Is Back to Using a Term That May Cause Legal Issues
'I am calling it what we need and what it is, a TRAVEL BAN!'
- While members of the Trump administration have tried to downplay his immigration executive order as simple vetting to keep the country safe, the president himself doubled down Monday on what he considers the order to be, the
reports. In an initial tweet Saturday that has since been criticized for...
Island That Bans Women on
Verge of World Heritage Status
May 8, 2017 8:01 PM CDT
Island That Bans Women on Verge of World Heritage Status
Okinoshima in southwestern Japan is considered too sacred for women to visit
- For centuries, a remote island in southwestern Japan has been deemed too sacred for women to visit, and even the men who do must strip naked for a ritual cleansing, as well as never discuss the details of their trip. Okinoshima, an ancient religious site that is home to the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
Virginia Republicans Take Barnes & Noble to Court
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.