Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NYC Publicist Dies
in Reported Suicide
Jun 21, 2018 8:39 AM CDT
NYC Publicist Dies in Reported Suicide
Jeanine Pepler, 50, counted Candace Bushnell as a client
- Jeanine Pepler, a publicist with high-profile clients like
Sex and the City
author Candace Bushnell, has been found dead of a suspected suicide by hanging, following the similar suicides of fashion designer Kate Spade and chef Anthony Bourdain, Page Six reports. The 50-year-old hanged herself Sunday in her Long Island...
United Tries to Get in
on Nugget Tweet,
May 11, 2017 7:34 AM CDT
United Tries to Get in on Nugget Tweet, Unsuccessfully
Airline can't escape its other headlines
- Fast-food gourmands rejoiced with Carter Wilkerson when he recently broke the Twitter retweet record and earned himself a year's worth of chicken nuggets from Wendy's. Also excited, apparently, was United Airlines, which had been closely following Carter's story on its own since tweeting last month that if...
Claims of Sexual
Jan 20, 2016 5:29 PM CST
Publicist Faces Claims of Sexual Misconduct From Female Musicians
'Dudes overlook it and keep hiring him'
- The CEO of a PR firm representing many popular musicians—including Of Montreal, Killer Mike, GZA, and D'Angelo—has stepped down amid allegations of sexual misconduct and sexual assault from numerous women.
New York Magazine
reports the allegations against Heathcliff Berru of Life and Death PR started earlier this...
Top Firms: We Won't
Work With Climate
Aug 4, 2014 3:30 PM CDT
Top Firms: We Won't Work With Climate Deniers
PR companies take 1st public stand on the issue
- A few of the world's most powerful public-relations companies say they won't launch campaigns that deny climate change—and most of those won't work with climate-change deniers at all, the
reports. A survey conducted by the
and the Climate Investigations Centre got responses from 10...
Dies of Heart Attack
Jul 27, 2012 2:31 PM CDT
Chick-fil-A Spokesman Dies of Heart Attack
Donald Perry was a top PR exec with chain
- A top public relations executive at Chick-fil-A has died of a heart attack amid the company's high-profile fight against gay marriage , reports Georgia's WRBL News3 . Donald Perry, who generally served as the company's spokesperson, died this morning. "Don was a member of our Chick-fil-A family for...
We Need a New Slogan
Jan 10, 2012 2:02 PM CST
New Mexico: We Need a New Slogan
'Land of Enchantment' isn't doing the trick, say state officials
- New Mexico has plenty to offer, but people just don't know much about it, say locals after watching tourism plummet almost 10% over the past three years. Now, the state is running a $2.5 million PR campaign to change people's perceptions of the state. "People think...
Ads of the Future:
May 31, 2011 1:54 PM CDT
Ads of the Future: 'Intrusive,' 'Invasive'
Picture talking pill bottles and constant monitoring, writes Alex Poulos
- If you think ads are inescapable now, just wait a few decades, writes Alex Poulos in the
. Future generations will laugh at our primitive tech know-how; the question is “who will laugh last. And I’m afraid it won’t be the consumer,” he writes. Expect...
Leap Into PR War
Feb 2, 2011 11:27 AM CST
Koch Brothers Leap Into PR War
Brothers Charles and David step out of the shadows
- Thrust into the spotlight after years of operating in the political shadows, Charles and David Koch are fighting back, Politico reports. They’ve hired a crack PR team that has worked with GOP heavy hitters like Sarah Palin and Arnold Schwarzenegger, and encouraged attendees of their uber-secret fundraising meeting to...
Who Is Getting Gulf
Sep 13, 2010 5:15 PM CDT
Who Is Getting Gulf Cleanup Contracts?
Review finds some oddball examples of big spending by feds
- It might have been cheaper if the feds had plugged BP's blown wellhead with dollar bills—or so an early AP analysis of Uncle Sam's expenditures on the response and cleanup. Mind you, these details are for the first $142 million the government is disclosing, a small fraction; BP , however,...
BP's Tony Hayward
Spends Day at Yacht Race
Jun 19, 2010 12:32 PM CDT
BP's Tony Hayward Spends Day at Yacht Race
The gaffe-prone CEO causes another PR kerfuffle
- The Internet is awash in "getting his life back" jokes. A day after being relieved of day-to-day duties on the Gulf spill, BP CEO Tony Hayward jetted overseas to watch his yacht (named "Bob") compete in a swank race off the coast of England, reports AP . As...
Mexico Hires PR Firm
MORE TO MEXICO THAN MURDER
Jun 17, 2010 5:00 AM CDT
Mexico Hires PR Firm
Prez wants to clean up bloody image
- Mexico has launched a huge PR campaign to persuade the world that despite the headlines, there's much more to the country than massacres and grisly drug cartel slayings. Over 23,000 people have died in drug-related violence since 2006, which is scaring off tourists and investors. "We are hiring...
How BP Can
Rehab Its Image
Jun 14, 2010 1:15 PM CDT
How BP Can Rehab Its Image
Start by firing somebody, finish by not being 'BP' anymore
- In the space of a few short months, BP's name has gone from evoking cheery green gas stations to conjuring up images of an oozing black mess. After the company gets the Gulf cleaned up, writes
it's time to get their image cleaned up. A to-do list:
BP Demands Changes
to Prank Twitter Feed
Jun 9, 2010 2:26 PM CDT
BP Demands Changes to Prank Twitter Feed
They want it made clear that it's a fake
- BP has asked Twitter to straighten out @BPGlobalPR , the hilariously snarky satirical feed specializing in messages like, “Doing our best to turn oil into oilinade. So far, the stuff tastes TERRIBLE.” BP has asked Twitter to force the feed to comply with the site’s impersonation policy, it...
May 28, 2010 10:26 AM CDT
BP Deserves Our Praise
Oil giant has actually responded pretty splendidly to crisis
- Sure, it's easy to beat up on BP, which is ultimately responsible for a disaster that killed 11 people and is laying waste to the Gulf of Mexico's ecosystem. But "my purpose today is not to bury BP but to praise it," writes Steven Pearlstein of the
Looking to Settle,
Apr 29, 2010 7:30 AM CDT
Looking to Settle, Goldman Launches Lobbying Blitz
Firm steps up effort to woo lawmakers, repair battered image
- Goldman Sachs' lobbying efforts have gone from cavalier to frenzied as it faces what could be the worst crisis in its history. The firm has assembled a high-powered team of Washington insiders to do battle, even as the
New York Post
reports that, in wake of the beating Goldman took...
How Foxy Knoxy
Apr 6, 2010 11:34 AM CDT
How Foxy Knoxy Suckered America
US journalists were seduced by Amanda Knox's media machine
- By the end of the Amanda Knox trial, the American media had been fully taken in by the soon-to-be-convicted murderer—but she didn't convince Barbie Latza Nadeau. In an excerpt from her upcoming book on the Daily Beast,
Angel Face: The True Story of a Student Killer,
Nadeau explains how...
Woods, Spin Doc
Fleischer Part Ways
Mar 22, 2010 6:39 PM CDT
Woods, Spin Doc Fleischer Part Ways
Former Bush flak won't spill on reasons
- Tiger Woods is getting ready to get back on the golf course, but he won’t have Ari Fleischer to help spin off-the-course happenings any more. The former Bush press secretary confirmed last night’s Golf Channel report that he and Woods have parted company, but wouldn’t elaborate in...
2010 Campaign starts now
Mar 22, 2010 7:54 AM CDT
Next Up: Selling Historic Reform to Skittish Public
Obama push to up bill's public approval starts now
- Now that the bill has passed, on to the PR blitz: The White House is planning a multi-phase campaign to turn around public opinion of health care reform ahead of the midterm elections, in the hopes of backing the GOP into a corner. In the next few days President Obama...
Tiger Woods Hires
Mar 11, 2010 1:04 PM CST
Tiger Woods Hires Ari Fleischer, Plans Return
Bush's old PR guy reportedly helping with March 25 return
- Tiger Woods is expected to return to golf at the Arnold Palmer Invitational on March 25, and he’s hired none other than former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer to help him plan the comeback. “They were in his living room this week going over a strategy for...
Assessing John Edwards'
ASK THE SPIN DOCTORS
Feb 7, 2010 9:59 AM CST
Assessing John Edwards' Comeback Chances
Atlantic polls image-makers on how to repair the damage
- John Edwards’ public image hit new lows the past week, but the likes Richard Nixon, Eliot Spitzer, and Michael Milken have made successful comebacks, the
notes, in polling political spin doctors about Edwards’ comeback chances:
"The reality is so contrary to the image that he projected,
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
On Roe v. Wade, Federal Judge Sees a 'Loophole'
This Is 'the Worst Kind of Earthquake'
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Shots Fired as Intruder Breaches Home of Air Force One
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.