In the space of a few short months, BP's name has gone from evoking cheery green gas stations to conjuring up images of an oozing black mess. After the company gets the Gulf cleaned up, writes USA Today, it's time to get their image cleaned up. A to-do list:
- Show victims the money: Just as the broken wellhead is gushing crude in the Gulf, so had BP's wallet better start spilling cash on victims. Now.
- While you're at it, give them free gas: Specifically, charities, schools, churches, etc, in areas hit by the spill.
- Get some green cred: BP needs to retool itself as an industry leader, says one crisis expert.
- Find a patsy, and can him: Like that nice Tony Hayward. Or the honcho of deep-water drilling.
- What BP?: Just as the damage was done for ValuJet, it's time for a new name.
(Read more Gulf oil spill