Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
No, Johnson Critics Say,
the War Isn't Like Brexit
Mar 20, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
No, Johnson Critics Say, the War Isn't Like Brexit
Both are about freedom, prime minister argues
- "I know that it’s the instinct of the people of this country, like the people of Ukraine, to choose freedom every time," UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said in a speech Saturday. "I can give you a couple of famous recent examples." One of those...
Royal Navy Gets Involved
as Fishing Dispute Escalates
May 5, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Royal Navy Gets Involved as Fishing Dispute Escalates
2 vessels sent to Jersey after France threatens to cut off electricity to Channel Island
- The Channel Island of Jersey isn't part of the United Kingdom—but it is considered part of the British Isles, and the British government has sent in gunboats amid an escalating dispute with France. Two Royal Navy vessels patrol boats were sent to the island, which lies 14 miles...
Unrest in Northern Ireland
Apr 8, 2021 12:05 PM CDT
Unrest in Northern Ireland Is Escalating
55 police officers hurt over the last week
- Crowds from Protestant and Catholic communities hurled bricks, fireworks, and gas bombs at police and each other overnight in Belfast, as a week of street violence escalated. Police and politicians tried Thursday to calm the volatile situation in Northern Ireland, where Britain's exit from the European Union has unsettled...
An Orderly Brexit
Is Now at Hand
Dec 31, 2020 12:41 AM CST
An Orderly Brexit Is Now at Hand
UK's exit from the EU will be complete Thursday; post-Brexit trade deal approved
- Britain’s Parliament voted resoundingly on Wednesday to approve a trade deal with the European Union, paving the way for an orderly break with the bloc that will finally complete the UK’s long and divisive Brexit journey, the AP reports. With just a day to spare, lawmakers in the...
EU Nations Unanimously
Approve Post-Brexit Deal
Dec 28, 2020 2:10 PM CST
EU Nations Unanimously Approve Post-Brexit Deal
UK warns businesses of 'bumpy moments'
- First came the Brexit trade deal. Now comes the red tape and the institutional nitty gritty. Four days after sealing a free trade agreement with the European Union, the British government warned businesses Monday to get ready for disruptions and "bumpy moments" when the new rules take effect on...
Right Before UK's Final Split
From EU, 'the Deal Is Done'
Dec 24, 2020 9:45 AM CST
Right Before UK's Final Split From EU, 'the Deal Is Done'
Britain, European Union come to post-Brexit trade agreement, though how this will play out is unclear
- After months of talks and at almost the last minute, Britain and the European Union struck a provisional free-trade agreement Thursday that should avert New Year chaos for cross-border traders and bring a measure of certainty for businesses after years of Brexit turmoil. With just over a week until the...
Under Quarantine Again
Nov 16, 2020 6:10 AM CST
Boris Johnson Under Quarantine Again
UK PM, who's already had COVID, is 'fit as a butcher's dog' after meeting MP who's now sick
- It's a key week for the UK's Brexit negotiations with Europe, but one of the most important players now won't be able to attend in person. CNBC reports that British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is once again in quarantine after he was informed he'd come into...
EU's Relationship With UK
Just Took Another Hit
Oct 1, 2020 8:25 AM CDT
EU's Relationship With UK Just Took Another Hit
European Union is taking legal action on a bill that would allow Britain to ignore part of Brexit treaty
- The European Union took legal action against Britain on Thursday over its plans to pass legislation that would breach parts of the legally binding divorce agreement the two sides reached. The EU action underscored the worsening relations with Britain, which was a member of the bloc until Jan. 31. Both...
Jan 31, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Brexit Day Finally Arrives
Nation gives EU membership a low-key send-off
- Britons counted down the hours Friday to their country’s departure from the European Union — some joyous, some sad, many just hopeful the divorce would mark the end of an anguished chapter in their country’s history. The 11pm London departure—6pm Washington time—comes 3½ years after the...
This Is How
Said Goodbye to UK
Jan 30, 2020 6:05 AM CST
This Is How EU Lawmakers Said Goodbye to UK
With a song
- After endless debate , Brexit is now less than a day away. The divorce between the UK and the European Union formally takes place Friday, and members of the EU parliament marked the occasion Wednesday by joining hands for an emotional rendition of "Auld Lang Syne," notes Business Insider...
After Landmark Vote,
'Battle to Stop Brexit Is Over'
Dec 20, 2019 12:21 PM CST
After Landmark Vote, 'Battle to Stop Brexit Is Over'
UK's House of Commons clears the way for exit from European Union
- Britain took a big step toward the European Union exit door on Friday: Lawmakers gave preliminary approval to Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s EU divorce bill in a decisive vote that broke years of political deadlock over Brexit, per the AP . The House of Commons, with its Conservative ranks swollen...
Boris Johnson Hails
'Great Stonking Mandate'
Dec 13, 2019 3:37 AM CST
Boris Johnson Hails 'Great Stonking Mandate'
Conservatives win historic victory in UK election
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is celebrating what he calls a "huge great stonking mandate" to deliver Brexit after a landslide win for his Conservative Party in Thursday's election. The party won a majority of at least 76 seats in Parliament, its biggest since the 1980s, while the...
It's a Huge Day
for Britain's Future
Dec 12, 2019 6:37 AM CST
It's a Huge Day for Britain's Future
Voters go to the polls with fate of Brexit at stake
- British voters go to the polls on Thursday, and if that sounds familiar, it's because this is the third general election in less than five years, notes the BBC . This particular vote, however, is considered one of the nation's most important since World World II, reports the AP...
Scene Now Stars
Dec 10, 2019 8:00 AM CST
Scene Now Stars Boris Johnson
His message is about Brexit and voting Conservative, though, not about love
- Either because we've seen the real deal or parodies of it, most of us are familiar with what Mashable calls "the creepiest scene" from the 2003 movie
, where the character played by Andrew Lincoln whips through a stack of cue cards proclaiming his love for the...
Hugh Grant Is Going Door to
Door in December. Yes, Really
Dec 2, 2019 10:25 AM CST
Hugh Grant Is Going Door to Door in December. Yes, Really
No, this is not a scene from 'Love Actually'
- If you watched
and dreamily wished Hugh Grant would one day come knocking at your door, we have good news for you: He might. That is, if you live in London, where the actor is going door to door canvassing with anti-Brexit candidates ahead of the UK's...
Kicks Off His
a Big Promise
Nov 24, 2019 4:15 PM CST
Boris Johnson Kicks Off His Campaign With a Big Promise
And he finds a new way to ridicule opponent Jeremy Corbyn
- The formal launch of the Conservative Party’s election pledges Sunday centered around the key plank of Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s campaign: making Brexit happen, the AP reports. Speaking to a friendly crowd, Johnson trashed his opponents—most notably the Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn, his prime rival—and...
Had an Impact on Tesla
Nov 13, 2019 1:19 PM CST
Brexit Chaos Had an Impact on Tesla
Automaker chose Berlin over Britain for its new factory
- One consequence of Brexit: Tesla has chosen Berlin as the site of its first European factory. The UK was under consideration, but "Brexit made it too risky to put a Gigafactory in the UK," CEO Elon Musk told industry website Auto Express after making the announcement Tuesday night....
Gets His Election
Oct 29, 2019 5:14 PM CDT
Boris Johnson Gets His Election
UK lawmakers back December 12 election
- Britons will be heading out to vote in the dark days of December after the House of Commons on Tuesday backed an early national vote that could break the country's political impasse over Brexit—or turn out to be merely a temporary distraction. Prime Minister Boris Johnson hopes electing...
EU Agrees to Delay Brexit
Oct 28, 2019 7:37 AM CDT
EU Agrees to Delay Brexit
UK asked for a 'flextension' to Jan. 31
- Looks like no Brexit this year: The European Union agreed Monday to delay Brexit until Jan. 31—making the concession just three days before Britain was due to become the first country ever to leave the 28-nation bloc. After a short meeting of diplomats in Brussels, European Council President Donald...
Here's How We
Oct 24, 2019 12:50 PM CDT
Boris Johnson: Here's How We Break Brexit Impasse
The UK prime minister seeks a general election Dec. 12
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Thursday that the only way to break Britain's Brexit impasse is a general election, and he will ask Parliament to approve a national poll for Dec. 12, the AP reports. Johnson said he would ask lawmakers to vote Monday on a motion calling...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
19 Elementary School Students, 3 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.