Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
'I Can't Do It.
I Can't Stay'
Jan 7, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Mick Mulvaney: 'I Can't Do It. I Can't Stay'
He resigns from administration, predicts others will soon follow
- Former White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney has resigned from the administration, and he says he's likely not the only one getting off the Trump train. Mulvaney told CNBC Thursday that he called Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to resign as special envoy to Northern Ireland after Wednesday'...
Jul 12, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
Ex-Aide: Trump's Hateful Words Derail Staff
Fear of 'deep state' limits president's circle, Elaine Duke says
- Elaine Duke gives the White House response to Hurricane Maria devastating Puerto Rico as an example of her disappointment in her brief tenure running the Department of Homeland Security. She wanted President Trump to issue an emergency declaration before the hurricane hit land but was rebuffed, the
New York Times
Meet the White
Chief of Staff
Mar 7, 2020 5:30 AM CST
Meet the White House's New Chief of Staff
GOP Rep. Mark Meadows will be taking over for Mick Mulvaney
- In the midst of one of the most daunting crises of his administration, President Trump on Friday announced he'd made a major staff overhaul, replacing his acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney with Republican Rep. Mark Meadows. While much of the country was focused on the spreading coronavirus, Trump...
Feb 28, 2020 4:07 PM CST
Trump Jr.'s Coronavirus Remarks Anger Congressman
President's son accused Democrats of wanting millions of Americans to die in virus outbreak
- Donald Trump Jr.'s assertion that Democrats want the coronavirus to reach the US and kill "millions of people" for their party's political benefit didn't go over well with Rep. John Garamendi. The president's son said on Fox Friday morning that Democrats will do anything...
Mulvaney Skips Deposition,
Invokes 'Absolute Immunity'
Nov 8, 2019 11:32 AM CST
Mulvaney Skips Deposition, Invokes 'Absolute Immunity'
Chief of staff does not show up as Trump blasts 'corrupt' inquiry
- Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney has stood up Democrats in their impeachment inquiry, skipping his Friday morning deposition as Democrats wrap up closed-door interviews and move into a public phase of the investigation, per the AP . Democrats subpoenaed Mulvaney late Thursday as the White House signaled that...
Subpoena WH Chief of Staff
Nov 8, 2019 5:09 AM CST
Impeachment Investigators Subpoena WH Chief of Staff
But few expect Mick Mulvaney to turn up
- House impeachment investigators would like Mick Mulvaney to tell them more about the quid pro quo involving US aid to Ukraine he talked about during a briefing last month—but the acting White House chief of staff is widely expected to defy a subpoena issued late Thursday. On Oct. 17,...
Diplomat Revises His
Nov 5, 2019 2:11 PM CST
Diplomat Revises His Impeachment Testimony
Gordon Sondland now acknowledges threat to hold up aid unless Ukraine did investigation
- The House panels conducting the impeachment inquiry released the testimony of two key players on Tuesday and sent word they want to hear from White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney. Axios sees a notable development in the transcript for Gordon Sondland, US ambassador to the European Union. Sondland testified...
New Figure Enters
Oct 22, 2019 11:47 AM CDT
New Figure Enters Ukraine Controversy
Hungarian leader Viktor Orban reportedly bad-mouthed Ukraine before call
- New reports out Tuesday add more context to President Trump's view of Ukraine before he made his famous call to that nation's leader in July. The upshot is that Vladimir Putin and Hungary's Viktor Orban each bad-mouthed Ukraine as a corrupt nation to Trump, reinforcing what he...
Report: Mulvaney's Ukraine
Remarks Shocked White House
Oct 18, 2019 6:52 AM CDT
Report: Mulvaney's Ukraine Remarks Shocked White House
He tried to walk it back Thursday night
- Mick Mulvaney issued a statement Thursday night distancing himself from earlier remarks made by Mick Mulvaney. The acting White House chief of staff, who astonished lawmakers by acknowledging there had been a quid pro quo with US aid to Ukraine, accused the media of distorting his remarks as part of...
Be Very Clear
About What Is
sunday talk shows
Aug 4, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
O'Rourke: 'Let's Be Very Clear About What Is Causing This'
Other Democrats also react strongly to the latest mass shootings
- Democratic candidates are hitting President Trump—and hitting him hard—after two mass shootings gut-punched America over the weekend. Beto O'Rourke appeared on CNN's
State of the Union
: "Let's be very clear about what is causing this and who the president is," said the former...
Mulvaney Defends Request
to Hide USS John McCain
Jun 3, 2019 1:25 AM CDT
Mulvaney Defends Request to Hide USS John McCain
He says it was 'not an unreasonable thing'
- Asking the US Navy to conceal a ship named after three generations of American war heroes to avoid potentially irritating the president was "not an unreasonable thing," according to Mick Mulvaney. The acting White House chief of staff told NBC 's
Meet the Press
on Sunday that...
Report: Kirstjen Nielsen Told
to Keep Concern From Trump
Apr 24, 2019 12:21 PM CDT
Report: Kirstjen Nielsen Told to Keep Concern From Trump
Specifically about potential 2020 election interference by the Russians
- Kirstjen Nielsen may be out of the Trump administration, but she's not out of the news. The
New York Times
is out with a report claiming that in the waning days of her tenure, Nielsen was instructed not to discuss one of her major concerns as homeland security secretary...
Dems Will 'Never'
See Trump Returns,
Apr 7, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
Dems Will 'Never' See Trump Returns, Mulvaney Says
Voters made the call, chief of staff says
- Democrats might as well forget about President Trump's tax returns, his acting chief of staff said Sunday. They'll "never" see the returns, Mick Mulvaney said, "nor should they." He made the statement on
Fox News Sunday
, the AP reports. The way Mulvaney sees it, the...
Aide Reacts After Media
Links Trump, NZ Shooter
Mar 17, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
Aide Reacts After Media Links Trump, NZ Shooter
Mick Mulvaney speaks out against reference to shooter's manifesto
- A top White House official said Sunday President Trump "is not a white supremacist" and attempts to tie him to the alleged New Zealand mosque shooter are "absurd," per the AP . Mick Mulvaney, the acting chief of staff, described the New Zealand shooter as a "disturbed...
Mulvaney: Functioning Gov't
Likely Done for 2018
Dec 23, 2018 9:41 AM CST
Mulvaney: Functioning Gov't Likely Done for 2018
Budget director says 'very possible' shutdown will last into the new Congress
- It was already looking unlikely that all Congress and the White House wanted for Christmas was an open government , and now Mick Mulvaney is signaling that the government could stay shuttered until 2019, reports the
. "It’s very possible that this shutdown will go beyond the 28th...
New Chief of Staff Called
Trump 'Terrible Human' in 2016
Dec 16, 2018 5:09 AM CST
New Chief of Staff Called Trump 'Terrible Human' in 2016
Mick Mulvaney made the comment during a debate just before the election
- If you've ever called your boss a "terrible human being," it turns out you sort of have something in common with the president's next acting chief of staff. Mick Mulvaney, who was named as John Kelly's replacement on Friday, used those choice words in reference...
Chief of Staff Pick
Dec 14, 2018 5:08 PM CST
Trump Tweets Chief of Staff Pick
It's Mick Mulvaney
- President Trump on Friday picked budget director Mick Mulvaney to be his next chief of staff, the AP reports, ending a chaotic search for a new chief of staff that had been inching forward with the feel of an unfolding reality TV show. Trump tweeted that Mulvaney "will be...
Top Student Loan Official Blasts
White House in Resignation
Aug 27, 2018 3:33 PM CDT
Top Student Loan Official Blasts White House in Resignation
Seth Frotman will resign at the end of the week
- Seth Frotman, the federal government's top student loan watchdog, resigned Monday, accusing the White House of serving "the wishes of the most powerful financial companies in America" and abandoning consumers. Frotman, student loan ombudsman with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, will step down at the end of the...
Wells Fargo to Pay $1B for
Forcing Insurance on People
Apr 20, 2018 8:42 AM CDT
Wells Fargo to Pay $1B for Forcing Insurance on People
And for missteps in its mortgage division
- A Thursday rumor turned into Friday truth: Wells Fargo will pay $1 billion to settle allegations from federal regulators for abuses tied to its mortgage and auto lending businesses. It will pay $500 million to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, its main bank regulator, as well as...
White House Investigates
Pruitt's $43K Phone Booth
Apr 19, 2018 1:00 AM CDT
White House Investigates Pruitt's $43K Phone Booth
39 senators call for EPA chief to step down
- Scott Pruitt's week isn't getting any easier: White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said Wednesday that he's planning to investigate the embattled EPA chief's activities, which include allegedly violating the law by spending $43,000 in taxpayer funds on a soundproof phone booth for his office,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.