Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Trump Selling His
Marquee Hotel in DC
Nov 15, 2021 7:24 AM CST
Trump Selling His Marquee Hotel in DC
Trump International Hotel to become a Waldorf Astoria
- One of the biggest prizes in former President's Trump's constellation of hotels won't be in the family business much longer. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Trump International Hotel in DC—located just blocks from the White House—is being sold and will become a Waldorf Astoria....
You Can Forget
Jan 25, 2021 11:44 AM CST
Remember 'Emoluments'? You Can Forget Them Again
Supreme Court dismisses 2 cases against Trump, decides it's a moot point
- Donald Trump the citizen won't have to worry about two lawsuits filed against Donald Trump the president. The Supreme Court on Monday dismissed two cases brought against him under the Constitution's obscure emoluments clauses, reports the Hill . Justices didn't rule on the merits of the lawsuits, but...
Appeals Court Delivers
Bad News to Trump on Hotel
May 14, 2020 9:49 AM CDT
Appeals Court Delivers Bad News to Trump on Hotel
Justices refuse to dismiss suit about president profiting from foreign business
- President Trump lost a court battle Thursday over accusations that he's illegally making money from foreign governments while serving as president. A federal appeals court in Virginia refused to dismiss a case brought by the attorneys general of DC and Maryland in regard to the Trump International Hotel in...
No, You Can't
Feb 7, 2020 12:46 PM CST
Court to Lawmakers: No, You Can't Sue Trump
Federal appeals court says congressional Dems have no legal standing in emoluments complaint
- Congressional Democrats received some disappointing news this week over their emoluments lawsuit against President Trump. Per Politico , the DC Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Friday that the complaint filed in 2017 by 200-plus Democratic House and Senate members, accusing the president of illegally profiting from foreign governments who spent money...
Why Trump Is Mulling
a $500M For-Sale Sign
Oct 26, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Why Trump Is Mulling a $500M For-Sale Sign
The Trump International Hotel might hit the market amid concern over emoluments
- President Trump's real estate company might unload a palatial hotel over complaints that government-ethics laws are being cast aside, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. The Trump Organization has hired a real estate firm to let go of the Trump International Hotel in Washington, DC, where Trump and other White...
Trump Swings at 'Phony'
Oct 21, 2019 2:14 PM CDT
Trump Swings at 'Phony' Constitutional Clause
He speaks with reporters for 71 minutes on Monday
- The emoluments clause has dogged President Trump since, quite literally, his first full weekday in office , and proved the undoing of his now-reversed decision to hold the 2020 G7 summit at his Doral resort in Miami. That hasn't left him a big fan of the Constitutional clause, which forbids...
GOP Blowback Forced Trump
U-Turn on Hosting G7 at Resort
Oct 21, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
GOP Blowback Forced Trump U-Turn on Hosting G7 at Resort
'It clearly was an unforced political error'
- President Trump blamed "Media & Democrat Crazed and Irrational Hostility" when he tweeted Saturday that he had abandoned his plan to host the G7 summit at his own resort in Miami—but insiders say it was pushback from Republicans that led to the U-turn. Sources tell the
Trump: Being President
Is Costing Me a Fortune
Aug 14, 2019 5:44 AM CDT
Trump: Being President Is Costing Me a Fortune
He says 'this thing' has cost him up to $5B
- President Trump spoke at a massive Shell petrochemical plant under construction in Pennsylvania on Tuesday—but he spent a lot more time talking about personal grievances than energy policy. "This thing is costing me a fortune, being president," Trump said, complaining about the cost of lawyers and rejecting...
Trump: I Just Won a
'Big Part' of the 'Witch Hunt'
Jul 10, 2019 1:11 PM CDT
Trump: I Just Won a 'Big Part' of the 'Witch Hunt'
Federal appeals court throws out suit accusing him of illegally profiting off the presidency
- A federal appeals court threw out a lawsuit accusing President Trump of illegally profiting off the presidency through his luxury Washington hotel, handing Trump a significant legal victory on Wednesday. A three-judge panel of the 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals unanimously overturned the ruling of a federal judge in...
DC, Maryland to Subpoena
Trump Organization, Treasury
Dec 4, 2018 7:07 PM CST
DC, Maryland to Subpoena Trump Organization, Treasury
As part of lawsuit accusing Trump of profiting off the presidency
- The attorneys general of the District of Columbia and Maryland plan to file subpoenas Tuesday seeking records from the Trump Organization, the Treasury Department, and dozens of other entities as part of a lawsuit accusing Donald Trump of profiting off the presidency, the AP reports. The flurry of subpoenas came...
Ruling Could Force Trump
to Give Up Financial Records
Jul 25, 2018 2:08 PM CDT
Ruling Could Force Trump to Give Up Financial Records
Judge lets emoluments lawsuit against him move forward
- Justice Department lawyers' latest bid to get an emoluments suit against the president tossed has been unsuccessful. US District Judge Peter Messitte on Wednesday denied the motion, which the
describes as apparently "the first time a federal judge had interpreted [the Constitution's emoluments clauses] and applied...
Gets Legal Victory
Mar 28, 2018 3:25 PM CDT
Emoluments Case Against Trump Gets Legal Victory
Judge is allowing lawsuit to move forward
- An emoluments lawsuit against President Trump is moving forward after a federal judge ruled Wednesday that attorneys general from Maryland and Washington DC have legal standing to proceed, the AP reports. According to the
, it's the first time such a lawsuit has ever made it past its...
Judge Tosses Out Trump
Dec 22, 2017 6:29 AM CST
Judge Tosses Out Trump 'Emoluments' Lawsuit
He decides plaintiffs have no standing to sue
- Restaurant workers, a hotel event booker, and a watchdog group who say President Trump has business conflicts that violate the Constitution cannot sue him, a New York judge ruled Thursday. US District Judge George Daniels said it was too soon for the lawsuit to be considered by the courts, particularly...
Hypothetical Hot Dogs
May Be Bad News for Trump
Oct 19, 2017 11:55 AM CDT
Hypothetical Hot Dogs May Be Bad News for Trump
Comes up in lawsuit over business interests, could affect release of tax returns
- Controversy over President Trump's refusal to release his tax returns may have fallen off the political radar, but it resurfaced in a very real way in a Manhattan courtroom on Wednesday. As NPR reports, that's where a hearing unfolded as part of a lawsuit brought by the watchdog...
Case Against Him
Sep 30, 2017 4:04 PM CDT
Trump Responds to 'Emoluments' Case Against Him
President asks judge to toss case brought by attorneys general
- President Trump asked a judge on Friday to throw out a lawsuit alleging he is violating the Constitution by using his office to profit from his hotels and other properties, the AP reports. Trump is arguing that the attorneys general of Maryland and DC do not have standing to bring...
In Record-Setting Move,
196 Lawmakers Sue Trump
Jun 14, 2017 7:51 AM CDT
In Record-Setting Move, 196 Lawmakers Sue Trump
The 'emoluments clause' is what's at play, again
- As far as records go, it's a dubious one for President Trump, who was on Wednesday sued by the highest number of lawmakers to ever sue a president, per Reuters . It puts the count at 196 Democrats, with 30 senators and 166 representatives listed as plaintiffs in a suit...
2 Attorneys General Say Trump
Is Violating the Constitution
Jun 12, 2017 7:41 AM CDT
2 Attorneys General Say Trump Is Violating the Constitution
DC, Maryland officials are suing over the president's business interests
- Prepare to hear a lot about something called the "emoluments clause." It's the linchpin of a lawsuit being filed Monday against President Trump by two Democratic attorneys general, reports Reuters . AGs Brian Frosh of Maryland and Karl Racine of Washington, DC, say Trump is violating the Constitution...
Jan 23, 2017 3:44 PM CST
Ethics Lawyers Sue Trump
They are suing over 'unconstitutional' foreign payments
- An ethics watchdog group has filed a lawsuit against President Trump on his first full weekday in office, the AP reports. Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, a liberal advocacy group that includes constitutional scholars and former White House ethics lawyers, says Trump is in violation of the constitution'...
Popular on Newser
Brooke Shields Blasts Barbara Walters for 1980 Interview
Suicide Pod Can Be Used in Switzerland
Before His Execution, Man Confessed to Another Murder
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
2 Die After Using Bed Rails
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.