Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Won't Jump, So
USOC Will Push It
Nov 22, 2018 5:24 PM CST
USA Gymnastics Won't Jump, So USOC Will Push It
Organization refused to give it status voluntarily
- USA Gymnastics has refused to give up its status at the sport's national governing body, so the US Olympic Committee has started what could be a months-long process to force it out. The USOC first moved to decertify USA Gymnastics earlier this month, saying the organization had failed to...
Lawyer on Charges Against
Ex-MSU President: 'Baseless'
Nov 21, 2018 9:25 AM CST
Lawyer on Charges Against Ex-MSU President: 'Baseless'
Lou Anna Simon accused of making false or misleading statements in Larry Nassar case
- She was the first woman president at Michigan State University, but her career there ended in the aftermath of Larry Nassar . Now Lou Anna Simon has a new problem to deal with: The
Lansing State Journal
reports she's the third person from MSU to be hit with charges from...
20 Years of Deception: How
Larry Nassar Got Away With It
Nov 20, 2018 4:40 PM CST
20 Years of Deception: How Larry Nassar Got Away With It
The Cut: 'The trick was to establish traditional medical credibility and then get weird'
- It's a simple question regarding Larry Nassar, the imprisoned pedophile who raped hundreds of young gymnasts: "How did he deceive so many for so long?" The question is posed in the headline of a lengthy story at the Cut by Kerry Howley, who begins by disputing the notion...
USOC Moves to Shut
Down USA Gymnastics
Nov 6, 2018 12:07 AM CST
USOC Moves to Shut Down USA Gymnastics
First step toward decertification has been taken
- The US Olympic Committee took steps Monday to decertify USA Gymnastics as the governing body for the sport at the Olympic level, choosing the nuclear option for an organization that botched its own rebuilding attempt in the wake of a sex-abuse scandal involving former team doctor Larry Nassar. In an...
Head Indicted, Arrested
Oct 18, 2018 12:24 AM CDT
Ex-USA Gymnastics Head Indicted, Arrested
Steve Penny is accused of evidence tampering
- Former USA Gymnastics president Steve Penny was arrested Wednesday after a Texas grand jury indicted him, alleging he tampered with evidence in the sexual assault investigation of now-imprisoned gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar. In a statement issued late Wednesday night, the Walker County district attorney's office in Huntsville, Texas, said...
Suit: MSU Knew About Video
of Nassar Raping Teen in 1992
Sep 12, 2018 11:05 AM CDT
Suit: MSU Knew About Video of Nassar Raping Teen in 1992
Former athletic director George Perles accused in cover-up
- Michigan State University had knowledge of a videotape showing Larry Nassar raping a 17-year-old field hockey player some 25 years before his downfall, according to a new lawsuit. The federal suit filed Monday on behalf of several plaintiffs specifically describes Erika Davis visiting the MSU sports doctor for help with...
Another Head Rolls
at USA Gymnastics
Sep 4, 2018 11:38 AM CDT
Another Head Rolls at USA Gymnastics
Kerry Perry resigns as president of scandal-hit organization
- Kerry Perry resigned under pressure as USA Gymnastics president Tuesday, the move coming days after the US Olympic Committee questioned her ability to lead a path forward for an organization rocked by scandal. Perry spent nine months on the job and repeatedly came under scrutiny by athletes who felt she...
New USA Gymnastics Coach
Fired After Only 3 Days
Sep 1, 2018 1:10 PM CDT
New USA Gymnastics Coach Fired After Only 3 Days
Mary Lee Tracy contacted Aly Raisman without permission
- Not a month into her new job as CEO of the US Olympic Committee, Sarah Hirshland has seen enough from USA Gymnastics. She's calling for yet another shake-up in the federation's leadership as it tries to remake itself in the wake of the Larry Nassar sex-abuse scandal. Hirshland...
Larry Nassar Leaves Tucson
Prison After Reported Attack
Aug 20, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Larry Nassar Leaves Tucson Prison After Reported Attack
On Sunday night he was at a holdover facility in Oklahoma
- Last month brought word that within hours of being released into the general prison population in late May, Larry Nassar was attacked by other inmates. So said a court filing by his lawyer, and now the
reports Nassar, 55, has been removed from the federal penitentiary in Tucson,...
Attacked in Prison,
Jul 25, 2018 1:17 PM CDT
Larry Nassar Attacked in Prison, Lawyer Says
Within hours of being released into the general population, according to new court filing
- Within hours of being released into the general prison population in late May, Larry Nassar was attacked by other inmates, according to a Tuesday court filing by his lawyer. Nassar's attorney filed the documents to appeal the sentence handed down to the sports doctor, who pleaded guilty to sexual...
Jun 29, 2018 7:25 PM CDT
Sports Doc Larry Nassar Now in Trouble in Texas
New charges are linked to six former patients treated at Karolyi Ranch in Huntsville
- Disgraced sports doctor Larry Nassar, who has already been sentenced to up to 175 years in prison for sexually abusing former patients in Michigan, is facing an additional six counts of sexual assault in Texas, reports NBC . Authorities have also charged trainer Debbie Van Horn with one count of sexual...
Nassar, USA Gymnastics Hid
Real Reason for Absences
May 24, 2018 5:46 PM CDT
Nassar, USA Gymnastics Hid Real Reason for Absences
Parents were told he was sick or focusing on his private practice
- USA Gymnastics helped disgraced sports doctor Larry Nassar hide from parents the fact that he was under investigation for child sexual abuse, reports the
. On at least two occasions, Nassar and an attorney for the gymnastics organization developed cover stories for his absences from events that preceded the...
Suit for $500M
May 16, 2018 11:51 AM CDT
Michigan State Settles Nassar Suit for $500M
$75M will be set aside for future cases
- In what could be the largest settlement ever in a sexual misconduct case involving a university, Michigan State University has agreed to pay $500 million to hundreds of young women and girls sexually assaulted by sports doctor Larry Nassar, reports the
Lansing State Journal
. The lawsuits, settled in mediation this...
First Day We Met
Apr 18, 2018 1:23 PM CDT
McKayla Maroney: Larry Nassar Molested Me First Day We Met
And 'hundreds' of times after that, she says
- McKayla Maroney is detailing her abuse at the hands of former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar for the first time in an interview with Savannah Guthrie set to air Sunday on
. On the first day she met Nassar, when she was 13 years old, "He told me...
Larry Nassar's Boss
Charged With Groping
Mar 27, 2018 2:18 PM CDT
Larry Nassar's Boss Charged With Groping Female Students
Former Michigan State dean William Strampel charged
- The sexual abuse scandal at Michigan State University widened Tuesday when authorities charged a former dean not only with failing to keep sports doctor Larry Nassar in line but with sexually harassing female students and pressuring them for nude selfies, the AP reports. William Strampel, 70, is the first person...
Boss Who Reinstated
Larry Nassar Is Arrested
Mar 27, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Boss Who Reinstated Larry Nassar Is Arrested
William Strampel was dean of Michigan State University's osteopathic medical school
- For the bulk of the time Larry Nassar worked for Michigan State University's osteopathic medical school, William Strampel was the dean of that school. Now, another shared experience for the men: Strampel, 70, was arrested Monday on charges that have not yet been made public. A press conference is...
Continue, a First
Mar 2, 2018 12:22 PM CST
As Accusations Against Nassar Continue, a First
Jacob Moore is Nassar's 1st male accuser
- The over 300 women who've accused Larry Nassar of sexual abuse have been joined by the first man, the
New York Daily News
reports. Jacob Moore's name appeared in an amended complaint filed against the former doctor Wednesday in federal court. The complaint states Moore was 15 in...
Mar 2, 2018 9:18 AM CST
Aly Raisman Goes After US Olympic Committee
Nassar, USA Gymanstics also named in lawsuit
- Six-time Olympic medalist Aly Raisman is suing the US Olympic Committee and USA Gymnastics, claiming both organizations "knew or should have known" about abusive patterns by disgraced former national team doctor Larry Nassar, the AP reports. The lawsuit, filed in California on Wednesday, alleges negligence by the USOC and...
Amidst Furor and Cancer,
US Olympic Boss Is Out
Mar 1, 2018 3:04 AM CST
Amidst Furor and Cancer, US Olympic Boss Is Out
Calls for Scott Blackmun's ouster had been growing louder
- Scott Blackmun resigned as CEO of the US Olympic Committee on Wednesday, stepping aside so he can tackle his worsening bout with prostate cancer and to allow the federation to move forward under new leadership to address the sex-abuse scandal that has rocked gymnastics and other sports. The 60-year-old CEO...
of Larry Nassar
in Latest Bid
Feb 13, 2018 6:02 PM CST
Jared Fogle Invokes Name of Larry Nassar in Latest Bid
Former Subway pitchman wants to withdraw his guilty pleas
- Jared Fogle remains very busy trying to get himself out of jail —and apparently keeping up with current events. The former Subway pitchman's new legal gambit revolves around the case of disgraced Team USA gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar , reports the Blast . In newly filed legal documents, Fogle complains...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Pete Rose on Sex Misconduct Claims: '55 Years Ago, Babe'
Liz Cheney Reveals Her Thoughts on DeSantis
Those Tax Incentives to Buy Electric? There's a Problem
Top US General Vowed to Fight Trump 'From the Inside'
Florida Men Accused of Stealing $1.3M Worth of Seafood
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.