Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Watchdog: Sessions Said 'We
Need to Take Away Children'
Oct 7, 2020 8:22 AM CDT
Watchdog: Sessions Said 'We Need to Take Away Children'
Former AG pushed Trump's agenda of separating children from their families
- When US attorneys objected to orders to prosecute all undocumented immigrants in May 2018, then-attorney general Jeff Sessions made clear President Trump's intentions. "We need to take away children," he told the prosecutors, per the
New York Times
. A week later, then-deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein complained...
House Panel OKs Subpoenas
for Big Names in Trump Probe
Jul 11, 2019 4:32 PM CDT
House Panel OKs Subpoenas for Big Names in Trump Probe
Including Jared Kushner, Jeff Sessions
- The House Judiciary Committee voted Thursday to authorize subpoenas for 12 people mentioned in special counsel Robert Mueller's report, including President Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, the AP reports. The panel also voted to authorize subpoenas for documents and testimony related to Trump'...
May 14, 2019 6:57 AM CDT
Rosenstein Slams Comey, Comey Responds With 5 Words
'I wish him the best,' ex-FBI director says after former deputy AG calls him 'partisan pundit'
- President Trump has had a lot to say about his ex-FBI director and ex-deputy attorney general , but one thing he can't say is that the two former DOJ higher-ups are friends. The latest round between James Comey and Rod Rosenstein took place Monday in Baltimore, where the latter was...
Rod Rosenstein Resigns
Apr 29, 2019 5:24 PM CDT
Rod Rosenstein Resigns
Deputy attorney general will leave May 11
- Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein has submitted a letter of resignation to President Trump. It's effective May 11, the AP reports. His departure ends a nearly two-year run defined by his appointment of a special counsel to investigate connections between the Trump campaign and Russia. The departure had been...
Trump Names New Deputy AG
Feb 20, 2019 12:23 AM CST
Trump Names New Deputy AG
DoT's Jeffrey Rosen is his choice to replace Rosenstein
- President Trump says he intends to nominate Jeffrey Rosen, a longtime litigator and deputy transportation secretary, to replace Rod Rosenstein as deputy attorney general. In his current post, the 60-year-old Rosen serves as the Transportation Department's chief operating officer and is in charge of implementing the department's safety...
Report: Rosenstein Will
Depart DoJ Next Month
Feb 19, 2019 12:22 AM CST
Report: Rosenstein Will Depart DoJ Next Month
Sources say Jeffrey Rosen will be new deputy AG
- A Justice Department official says Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is expected to leave his position in the middle of next month. The official spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity Monday night. The White House is expected to name a replacement for Rosenstein this week. Rosenstein's departure...
Feb 18, 2019 9:50 AM CST
Trump Accuses McCabe of 'Treasonous' Behavior
Former acting FBI chief is out with another interview
- President Trump is using a new word to describe the actions of former acting FBI chief Andrew McCabe: "treasonous." And the president applies it to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein as well, reports the Daily Beast . In morning tweets, Trump was responding to McCabe's assertion that Rosenstein...
Graham: Senate Will Probe
'Stunning' McCabe Claim
Feb 18, 2019 2:34 AM CST
Graham: Senate Will Probe 'Stunning' McCabe Claim
He denounces 'attempted bureaucratic coup'
- Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Lindsey Graham has promised a Senate investigation of former acting FBI chief Andrew McCabe's "beyond stunning" claim that officials discussed invoking the 25th Amendment to remove President Trump from office. Graham, a Republican, said that if they wouldn't testify voluntarily, he would subpoena...
McCabe: Yes, We Talked About
Removing Trump From Office
Feb 14, 2019 10:40 AM CST
McCabe: Yes, We Talked About Removing Trump From Office
Former acting FBI chief says Justice Department considered using 25th Amendment
- Andrew McCabe is having his say. McCabe has been out of the headlines for a while, but he became acting director of the FBI after President Trump fired James Comey—only to be fired himself under heavy criticism from the president. While acting FBI chief, McCabe ramped up the investigations...
Man Who Appointed Mueller
to Lead Probe Will Leave DOJ
Jan 9, 2019 7:26 AM CST
Man Who Appointed Mueller to Lead Probe Will Leave DOJ
Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein will leave if and when William Barr is confirmed, sources say
- The man who appointed Robert Mueller to head the Russia investigation is expected to leave the Department of Justice in the coming weeks, sources tell nearly every major media outlet. Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein has reportedly conveyed his plans to the White House, which ABC News reports is not...
Job May Be
Safe After All
Oct 8, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Rosenstein's Job May Be Safe After All
Trump says he has no plans to fire deputy AG: 'I get along very well with him'
- President Trump is flying to Florida on Monday, and one of his fellow passengers aboard Air Force One drew the attention of reporters: Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein. That's the same Rod Rosenstein who was rumored to be on the brink of dismissal just two weeks ago after a...
Sep 27, 2018 1:40 PM CDT
Much-Anticipated Trump-Rosenstein Meeting Delayed
White House doesn't want to overshadow Thursday's Senate hearing
- A highly anticipated meeting between President Trump and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein was postponed until next week to avoid conflicting with the dramatic Senate hearing involving Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, the White House said Thursday. The two were set to meet Thursday following news media reports that Rosenstein...
All Those Sources Who Said
Rosenstein Was Out Are Wrong
Sep 24, 2018 12:35 PM CDT
All Those Sources Who Said Rosenstein Was Out Are Wrong
At least until Thursday, it seems
- That Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein would end the day without a job seemed all but certain Monday morning, with major media outlets variously reporting he had either resigned, planned to do so, or would be fired before the day was out. Instead, it looks like he'll end Monday...
Report: Rosenstein Wanted
to Record, Oust Trump
Sep 21, 2018 1:21 PM CDT
Report: Rosenstein Wanted to Record, Oust Trump
But deputy attorney general denies 'New York Times' report about 25th Amendment
New York Times
is out with quite a story: It says Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein proposed secretly recording President Trump last year and using the recordings to have Trump ousted from office. Rosenstein, however, flatly denies it, calling the story "inaccurate and factually incorrect" in a statement....
Nunes Talks About Protecting
Trump on Leaked Audio
Aug 9, 2018 7:29 AM CDT
Nunes Talks About Protecting Trump on Leaked Audio
Rachel Maddow aired portions of the recordings, made at a closed-door fundraiser
- "If Sessions won't unrecuse and Mueller won't clear the president, we're the only ones. Which is really the danger." That was just some of what House Intelligence Committee Chair Devin Nunes said in audio recorded at a private July 30 fundraiser in Spokane, Wash., and...
11 GOP Lawmakers Are Trying
to Impeach Mueller's Boss
Jul 26, 2018 6:05 AM CDT
11 GOP Lawmakers Are Trying to Impeach Mueller's Boss
'We're tired of the Justice Department giving us the finger'
- Two extremely conservative House lawmakers are leading a bid to impeach Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who oversees Robert Mueller. Reps. Mark Meadows and Jim Jordan are among 11 Republican lawmakers who filed a resolution Wednesday calling for Rosenstein to be impeached, the
reports. The men, allies of...
Jul 14, 2018 2:30 PM CDT
GOP Ready to Impeach Rosenstein: Report
House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows has the document in hand
- Seems House conservatives are still hoping to see Rod Rosenstein hit the unemployment line. Conservative lawmakers were honing an impeaching filing for the deputy attorney general Friday at the same time he announced 12 indictments against Russians for alleged election hacking, Capitol Hill sources tell Politico . In fact, Rosenstein was...
Trump's House Allies Ready
'Last Resort' Move
May 1, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Trump's House Allies Ready 'Last Resort' Move
Republicans have drafted articles of impeachment against Deputy AG Rod Rosenstein
- Democrats warned such a move could be coming. Now, House Republicans allied with President Trump have drafted articles of impeachment against Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who's overseeing Robert Mueller's investigation into links between Trump's campaign and Russia, the
reports. "It's sickening,"...
Trump's New Lawyer
in Russia Probe
Is a Familiar Face
Apr 19, 2018 5:13 PM CDT
Trump's New Lawyer in Russia Probe Is a Familiar Face
Rudy Giuliani is joining, plus more of the latest developments related to Russia, Trump
- Rudy Giuliani is joining President Trump's legal team with an eye on ending special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia probe. "I’m doing it because I hope we can negotiate an end to this for the good of the country and because I have high regard for the...
Mueller on Twitter
Apr 11, 2018 4:44 PM CDT
Trump Slams Rod Rosenstein, Mueller on Twitter
Sources say president is considering firing Rosenstein
- President Donald Trump insisted that all was "very calm and calculated" at the White House, even as he vented Wednesday about the Russia probe and complained about Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, the AP reports. Trump, who was so incensed by the FBI's raid of his personal attorney'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.