Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Literally Had Teeth
Oct 8, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
210-Foot-Long Fatberg Literally Had Teeth
Fake ones, but still
- Fatbergs are mostly made up of, you guessed it, fat. But the waste materials mixed in make each mass unique, and tell a lot about the people abusing a city's sewers. So say scientists from England's University of Exeter, who analyzed samples taken from a 210-foot-long fatberg discovered...
Below London, a
Apr 18, 2019 11:57 AM CDT
Below London, a Blue Whale-Sized 'Concreteberg'
Work to clear the blockage starts next week
- A lesson from London: Don't pour concrete down the drain. Otherwise, you might be left with a "concreteberg" like the one currently blocking three central sewers in the Islington borough of the UK capital. It turns out the 115-ton, 330-foot-long mass discovered during a routine check earlier this...
UK Town Finds Fatberg, Tells
Locals 'Put Pipes on a Diet'
Jan 8, 2019 9:14 AM CST
UK Town Finds Fatberg, Tells Locals 'Put Pipes on a Diet'
Sidmouth sewer authority says 'don't feed the fatberg'
- Officials say a giant "fatberg" —a mass of hardened fat, oil, and baby wipes measuring 210 feet long—has been found blocking a sewer in a southwestern English town. Andrew Roantree, of South West Water, says it will "take our sewer team around eight weeks to dissect...
Behold, the Famous Fatberg,
Now on Livestream
Aug 19, 2018 2:32 PM CDT
Behold, the Famous Fatberg, Now on Livestream
Lower your expectations for excitement
- London's 140-ton fatberg was finally pulled from a sewer last year, but it didn't disappear. Samples of the mass of fat, oil, wet wipes, and feminine hygiene products have found a comfortable home in the Museum of London's permanent collection , and you don't need to visit...
'Beast Finally Defeated:'
London's Fatberg Is No More
Nov 6, 2017 8:07 AM CST
'Beast Finally Defeated:' London's Fatberg Is No More
A 140-ton fatberg is gone from the city's sewer
- It was longer than two football fields, weighed as much as nearly a dozen double-decker buses , and took nine weeks to annihilate—but the London fatberg is officially no more. "Our work is finished, and the beast finally defeated after a mammoth effort from the team," says Alex...
Baltimore Stops Scraping
Its Fatberg, Just Blasts It
Oct 17, 2017 6:33 PM CDT
Baltimore Stops Scraping Its Fatberg, Just Blasts It
City using high-pressure nozzle to get rid of the thing
- "If we have to, we'll use our cutter, but the nozzle is working so far." That's the assessment on how the battle goes against Baltimore's somewhat infamous fatberg , discovered in September and now on the road to elimination. The
reports that after first...
Now Baltimore Has
Its Own 'Fatberg'
in case you missed it
Sep 30, 2017 9:44 AM CDT
Now Baltimore Has Its Own 'Fatberg'
Congealed fat, grease, and wet wipes nearly blocking 2-foot-wide pipe
- Not content to let those tea-sippers across the pond hog the spotlight, Baltimore just announced its very own "fatberg." CBS Baltimore reports the "congealed lump of fat" was found between Baltimore Penn Station and the 1700 block of Charles Street. The fatberg is comprised of fats, oils,...
Museum Wants to Display
Glob of Congealed Grossness
Sep 14, 2017 7:11 AM CDT
Museum Wants to Display Glob of Congealed Grossness
We are speaking, of course, of the fatberg
- Congealed wet wipes, diapers, fat, and oil—not exactly what you'd expect to see behind glass at the Museum of London. But if the museum has its way, that's what will come to pass. The city is in the midst of a three-week "sewer war" against a...
London Officials Battling
'Total Monster' in Sewer
Sep 12, 2017 9:36 AM CDT
London Officials Battling 'Total Monster' in Sewer
A 143-ton 'fatberg' isn't proving easy to deconstruct
- British engineers say they've launched a "sewer war" against a giant blob clogging London's sewers, reports the AP . Thames Water officials said Tuesday it will likely take three weeks to dissolve the outsize "fatberg." They caution against expecting quick results as the fatberg is 275...
Breaks London Sewer
Apr 22, 2015 7:07 AM CDT
11-Ton 'Fatberg' Breaks London Sewer
This is just plain gross
- Things that weigh less than the "fatberg" removed from a London sewer: 18 horses, 3 Hummer H2s, or 77,000 iPhone 6s. A "fatberg" is what is created when congealed fat and unflushable items (think sanitary napkins, diapers, wipes, the
notes) combine in the sewer to create,...
15-Ton 'Fatberg' Nearly
Blew Lid Off London Sewers
Aug 6, 2013 12:44 AM CDT
15-Ton 'Fatberg' Nearly Blew Lid Off London Sewers
Wet wipes, cooking fats caused bus-sized blockage
- Cooking grease and wet wipes joined forces in the sewers of London to create a revolting 15-ton, bus-sized glob of slime workers dubbed a "fatberg." Waste disposal officials say the blockage is the biggest of its kind ever found and if it hadn't been removed in the...
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.