Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oxygen Tank Blast,
Fire Kill 82 in Hospital
Apr 25, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Oxygen Tank Blast, Fire Kill 82 in Hospital
Iraq says at least 200 people were rescued
- An explosion and fire in the intensive care unit at a hospital in Baghdad killed 82 people and injured 110, the Iraqi government said. The unit treats severe cases of COVID-19, and at least 28 of the patients killed were on ventilators, CBS reports. At least 200 people were rescued...
Jul 30, 2020 12:57 AM CDT
Baghdad Sets New Blistering Heat Record
It was 125.2 degrees on Tuesday
- Baghdad hit 125.2 degrees Tuesday, the highest temperature ever recorded for the city in Iraq. The Middle East is in the midst of a heat wave, and on Wednesday, Baghdad hit its second-highest temperature ever: 124 degrees. The previous record, set in July 2015, was 123.8, the
25 Rockets Hit Camp
With US Troops: Officials
Mar 14, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
25 Rockets Hit Camp With US Troops: Officials
Camp Taji in Iraq is under fire
- A barrage of rockets hit a base housing US and other coalition troops north of Baghdad on Saturday, Iraqi security officials said, just days after a similar attack killed three servicemen , including two Americans. The US-led coalition said at least 25 107mm rockets struck Camp Taji just before 11am, the...
Federal Site Just Got Hacked
Jan 5, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Federal Site Just Got Hacked
The hackers claim to be Iranian, but the US won't confirm
- Looks like Iran has struck back—online, at least. As the world awaits the country's military response to the killing of Gen. Qasem Soleimani, images of an Iranian flag and President Trump getting punched in the face appeared Sunday on a US federal website. "Hacked By Iran Cyber...
US Drone Strike Kills
Top Iranian General
Jan 3, 2020 1:35 AM CST
US Drone Strike Kills Top Iranian General
Qasem Soleimani was killed at Baghdad airport
- Iran vowed "harsh retaliation" after its top general was killed by an American drone strike in Iraq Thursday night. The Pentagon confirmed that it had taken "decisive action" against Maj. Gen. Qasem Soleimani, who was killed as he left the Baghdad airport in a convoy with leaders of...
Attack Iran Consulate,
Take Down Flag
Nov 4, 2019 12:27 AM CST
Iraqi Protesters Attack Iran Consulate, Take Down Flag
Crackdown has killed more than 250
- Dozens of Iraqi protesters attacked the Iranian consulate in the Shiite holy city of Karbala on Sunday, scaling the concrete barriers ringing the building, bringing down an Iranian flag, and replacing it with the Iraqi flag, eyewitnesses said. Security forces fired in the air to disperse the protesters who threw...
Trump: War Would Be
'Official End of Iran'
May 20, 2019 4:40 AM CDT
Trump: War Would Be 'Official End of Iran'
'Never threaten the United States again!'
- President Trump warned Iran early on Monday not to threaten the United States again or it'll face its "official end," shortly after a rocket landed near the US Embassy in Baghdad overnight. Trump's tweet comes after he seemingly sought to soften his tone on Iran following...
The 10 Best Cities
to Live In on
Mar 21, 2018 9:21 AM CDT
The 10 Best Cities to Live In on Planet Earth
Quality of life in Switzerland, Germany seems top-notch
- Each year, HR consultancy Mercer releases its "Quality of Living" ranking for cities around the globe, and for 2018, Austria's capital takes top honors.
notes most of this year's highest-ranking cities tend to be in Europe, with San Francisco as the first US city showing...
Dozens Die in Twin
Dec 31, 2016 5:15 AM CST
Dozens Die in Twin Baghdad Bombings
ISIS attacks as Mosul offensive restarts
- A pair of suicide bombings minutes apart hit a central Baghdad market on Saturday, killing 28 people and wounding at least 54, prompting security forces to ban traffic from key streets at the center of the Iraqi capital, police and hospital officials, the AP reports. The twin attacks hit al-Sinak,...
Fury in Baghdad as
Bomb Toll Hits 142
Jul 4, 2016 4:18 AM CDT
Fury in Baghdad as Bomb Toll Hits 142
Mob hurls rocks, shoes at PM's convoy
- Iraqi authorities on Monday raised the death toll to 142 from Sunday's devastating truck bombing at a bustling Baghdad commercial street as Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi ordered new security measures. The bombing, claimed by ISIS, was the deadliest terror attack in Iraq in a year and one of the...
ISIS Strikes Back:
Twin Bombs Kill 115
Jul 3, 2016 11:04 AM CDT
ISIS Strikes Back: Twin Bombs Kill 115
Baghdad suffers deadly attacks just a week after liberation of Fallujah
- Iraqi officials say the death toll from the car bomb attack claimed by the Islamic State group in central Baghdad has climbed to at least 115, reports the AP . Hospital and police officials said Sunday that another 187 people were wounded in the overnight attack, and nearly a dozen people...
ISIS Unleashes 3 Big
Bombings on Baghdad
May 11, 2016 10:50 AM CDT
ISIS Unleashes 3 Big Bombings on Baghdad
Death toll at 88 and rising
- The Islamic State has unleashed a wave of deadly bombings on Baghdad, resulting in what the
calls "the bloodiest day in the Iraqi capital in months." The AP has the death toll at 88 in three separate assaults:
A car bombing of an outdoor market in
Storm Green Zone
Apr 30, 2016 8:20 AM CDT
Iraq Protesters Storm Green Zone
Al-Sadr followers pulled down walls, entered parliament
- Hundreds of protesters climbed over the blast walls surrounding Baghdad's highly-fortified Green Zone for the first time on Saturday and stormed into parliament, carrying Iraqi flags and chanting against the government. The breach marked a major escalation in the country's political crisis following months of anti-government protests, sit-ins,...
Dam Could Flood
1M in Hours
Mar 2, 2016 11:50 AM CST
Iraq's Shaky Dam Could Flood 1M in Hours
US Embassy warns Americans to have escape plan
- Americans in Iraq should be poised to leave at any minute—but not because of any terrorist threat. In a security alert , the US Embassy in Baghdad notes more than a million people could be drowned or left homeless if Iraq's largest hydro-electric dam on the Tigris River breaks...
in Iraq: Taken
Jan 18, 2016 11:04 AM CST
Americans Missing in Iraq: Taken From Brothel?
Details from reported kidnapping case still murky
- Conflicting reports still abound about a group of Americans reported kidnapped in Baghdad over the weekend, as Iraqi security forces infiltrated the Dora neighborhood Monday, going house to house in search of clues, the AP reports. Even the number of Americans missing is still unclear: Local media has reported three—...
Missing in Iraq
Jan 17, 2016 4:30 PM CST
'Several' Americans Missing in Iraq
Three have been kidnapped, according to local media
- The US Embassy in Baghdad confirms that "several" Americans are missing in Iraq after local media reported that three Americans had been kidnapped in the Iraqi capital. US Embassy spokesman Scott Bolz said Sunday that "We are working in full cooperation with Iraqi authorities to locate the missing...
10 Killed as
Storm Iraq Mall
Jan 11, 2016 11:36 AM CST
10 Killed as Gunmen Bomb, Storm Iraq Mall
Hostages reportedly being held in Baghdad's Jawhara Mall
- Gunmen set off a car bomb at the entrance to a mall in mainly Shiite eastern Baghdad on Monday, killing at least 10 people and wounding 25 as the attackers raced inside and took hostages, Iraqi officials said. That number is likely to fluctuate as the story develops: Al Jazeera...
Aug 31, 2015 4:30 PM CDT
Jailed ISIS Suicide-Bomb Leader: 'Islam Is Coming'
Abu Abdullah was once the group's 'emir' in Baghdad
- "Most of the people who died were valid targets and those who were caught up in the attacks will be accepted by God." So says Abu Abdullah, a former ISIS suicide-bomb commander who agreed—perhaps under official pressure—to give an interview to the
from his prison...
Iraqi Jet Accidentally
Bombs Baghdad, Kills 12
Jul 6, 2015 11:24 AM CDT
Iraqi Jet Accidentally Bombs Baghdad, Kills 12
Russian-made aircraft suffered technical failure, military says
- An Iraqi Russian-made fighter jet accidentally dropped a bomb over a Baghdad neighborhood today, killing at least 12 people on the ground, Iraqi officials said. The plane—one of several Sukhois used by Iraq in the fight against ISIS—was returning to base when the accident happened. A military spokesman...
After a Decade,
Feb 7, 2015 6:35 PM CST
After a Decade, Baghdad Curfew Gets Lifted
But violence continues, with bombs killing at least 40 today
- Baghdad's decade-old nightly curfew ended after midnight local time, hours after bombs exploded in and around the Iraqi capital, killing at least 40 people in a stark warning of the dangers still ahead in this country under attack by ISIS. The deadliest of today's bombings happened in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Release May Be a Reward for Viktor Bout Keeping 'His Cool'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.