Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Jun 4, 2020 4:20 PM CDT
Researchers Retract Study Warning About Chloroquine
Authors say they can't be sure of their data on COVID-19 results
- The authors of a well-publicized study that indicated taking chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine as COVID-19 treatments could be unsafe no longer stand behind their work. The medical journal the
said the authors asked that their paper be retracted, Stat News reports. "We can no longer vouch for the veracity...
2 More Dings Against Drug:
an FDA Warning and a Study
Apr 24, 2020 11:44 AM CDT
2 More Dings Against Drug: an FDA Warning and a Study
Agency cautions hydroxychloroquine should only be used in very restricted settings
- The drug once touted by President Trump as a possible "game changer" in the fight against the coronavirus has been the subject of more sobering headlines of late, and the newest one from the Food and Drug Administration doesn't help matters. Per Stat News , the FDA on Friday...
Rita Wilson Had 'Extreme
Side Effects' From Chloroquine
Apr 14, 2020 2:03 PM CDT
Rita Wilson Had 'Extreme Side Effects' From Chloroquine
'I think people have to be very considerate about that drug,' she says
- Rita Wilson was given chloroquine, the anti-malarial drug touted by President Trump, while being treated for the coronavirus —but she's not exactly singing its praises. She tells CBS that she suffered worse symptoms than husband Tom Hanks, with chills like she's never had before and a fever...
Troubling Signs in 2 Drugs
Touted by Trump for Virus
Apr 13, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Troubling Signs in 2 Drugs Touted by Trump for Virus
Heart problems linked to both in patients with coronavirus
- Two drugs that have been promoted by President Trump for use in treating the coronavirus are being linked to heart problems in international research. The
reports that a review by France's drug safety regulator turned up 43 "cardiac adverse effects" in COVID-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine, typically...
CDC Nixes 'Highly
Unusual' Wording on
Apr 8, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
CDC Nixes 'Highly Unusual' Wording on Trump-Pushed Drugs
'Why would CDC be publishing anecdotes? That doesn't make sense.'
- What Reuters calls "highly unusual guidance" on two drugs President Trump has been pushing to treat the coronavirus has been removed from the CDC site almost as quickly as it went up. The original guidance on hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, which showed up over the weekend under "Therapeutic Options,...
FDA Authorizes Use of
Drugs Trump Championed
Mar 30, 2020 7:39 AM CDT
FDA Authorizes Use of Drugs Trump Championed
Scientists say there is little evidence supporting move
- Two anti-malaria drugs that President Trump has championed have been authorized for emergency use in treating COVID-19 patients. The Food and Drug Administration issued an emergency use authorization, allowing hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine to be prescribed "when a clinical trial is not available or feasible," Politico reports. Trump has...
Twitter Yanks Tweet by Giuliani
Mar 29, 2020 8:47 AM CDT
Twitter Yanks Tweet by Giuliani
Trump's lawyer falsely blamed Michigan governor for blocking '100% effective' treatment
- Twitter has deleted a post by Rudy Giuliani, President Trump's personal attorney, that contained false information about a treatment for COVID-19 and the governor of Michigan. The tweet was replaced with the message, "This Tweet violated the Twitter Rules," Mediaite reports. Giuliani had quoted a post by...
Man Dies After
He Thought Trump
Mar 24, 2020 5:07 AM CDT
Man Dies After Taking Substance He Thought Trump Mentioned
His wife is in critical condition after taking chloroquine phosphate
- An Arizona man is dead and his wife is in critical condition after self-medicating with a substance containing chloroquine, an anti-malaria drug mentioned days prior by President Trump. Hospital authorities say the couple, both in their 60s, didn't take that medication but instead ingested chloroquine phosphate, which is used...
Popular on Newser
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
20 Dead in S. African Nightclub, and Police Don't Know Cause
Conservatives Skeptical of Thomas' New Challenge
World Leaders Now Going After Russia's 2nd-Largest Export
Lawmaker Makes Gaffe Praising Abortion Decision
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.