Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
We're Not Far From a
Lyme Disease Vaccine
Apr 25, 2023 8:53 AM CDT
We're Not Far From a Lyme Disease Vaccine
As cases rise, Pfizer and Moderna focus attention on fighting tick-borne bacteria
- There hasn't been a human vaccine for Lyme disease on the market in the US for 20 years, but that could change in as little as two years. Pfizer and Valneva have begun late-stage clinical trials on their vaccine candidate, VLA15, and say it could be ready for approval...
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID
Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
Oct 12, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
The CDC now has to sign off
- The US on Wednesday authorized updated COVID-19 boosters for children as young as 5, seeking to expand protection ahead of an expected winter wave. Tweaked boosters rolled out for Americans 12 and older last month, doses modified to target today's most common and contagious omicron relative. While there wasn'...
Moderna Sues Pfizer
Over COVID Vaccine
Aug 26, 2022 8:49 AM CDT
Moderna Sues Pfizer Over COVID Vaccine
Company sues rival, alleging patent infringement on mRNA technology
- The biggest names in COVID vaccines are now embroiled in a legal fight. Moderna sued Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech on Friday, alleging patent infringement over the technology used to make the COVID shots, reports the Verge . Moderna accused its rivals of essentially stealing the mRNA technology it developed...
Wait for the Next Booster,
Officials Tell Adults Under 50
Jul 29, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Wait for the Next Booster, Officials Tell Adults Under 50
Moderna, Pfizer assure government updated omicron version will be ready for fall
- Federal health officials have decided against approving a second booster shot of the coronavirus vaccine this summer for adults under 50, because a retooled version is so close to being ready. Pfizer and Moderna have assured the government their new boosters will be rolled out no later than September, the...
FDA Advisers Endorse
Vaccines Starting at 6 Months
Jun 15, 2022 6:30 PM CDT
FDA Advisers Endorse Vaccines Starting at 6 Months
Age group is the only one without access to COVID vaccines in US
- COVID-19 shots for US infants, toddlers, and preschoolers moved a step closer to reality on Wednesday. The Food and Drug Administration's vaccine advisers gave a thumbs-up to vaccines from Moderna and Pfizer for the littlest kids. The outside experts voted unanimously that the benefits of the shots outweigh any...
Pfizer Shots for
Kids Under 5
Jun 13, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
FDA Posts Analysis of Pfizer Shots for Kids Under 5
Says the kid-sized dose appears to be safe and effective
The FDA on Sunday posted its analysis of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for children under age 5, announcing that the kid-sized doses do appear to be safe and effective. The agency posted a similar analysis of Moderna's vaccine for the youngest age group last week. Next up: Wednesday'...
Get a Booster
May 19, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
CDC: Children 5-11 Should Get a Booster
Rise in coronavirus cases prompts advisers' decision
This file has been updated throughout with the CDC's decision.
Children ages 5 to 11 should get a booster dose of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine, the Centers for Disease Control announced Thursday. An advisory panel had made the recommendation earlier in the day. The move opens a third...
Moderna's New CFO Was
Ousted After One Day
May 12, 2022 1:57 PM CDT
Moderna's New CFO Was Ousted After One Day
Jorge Gomez will get $700K severance package
- Moderna says David Meline, its former finance chief, will be returning to the role after an extremely short retirement. His successor, Jorge Gomez, became the vaccine maker's chief financial officer on Monday. He left the company on Tuesday after his former employer, dental products maker Dentsply Sirona, disclosed that...
Big Move From Moderna on
Shots for Youngest Kids
Apr 28, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Big Move From Moderna on Shots for Youngest Kids
Pharma company submits data to FDA, asks regulators to OK COVID shots for under-6 set
- Moderna on Thursday asked US regulators to authorize low doses of its COVID-19 vaccine for children younger than 6, a long-awaited move toward potentially opening shots for millions of tots by summer. Frustrated families are waiting impatiently for a chance to protect the nation's littlest kids as all around...
Moderna Says COVID Vaccine
Is Safe for Babies, Toddlers
Mar 23, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
Moderna Says COVID Vaccine Is Safe for Babies, Toddlers
Company to seek authorization for low doses for kids under 6
- Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine works in babies, toddlers, and preschoolers, the company announced Wednesday—and if regulators agree it could mean a chance to finally start vaccinating the littlest kids by summer, per the AP . Moderna said in the coming weeks it would ask regulators in the US and Europe...
Moderna to FDA:
Authorize 4th Dose
for All Adults
Mar 18, 2022 12:21 AM CDT
Moderna to FDA: Authorize 4th Dose for All Adults
Drugmaker's reasoning: provide flexibility for providers to determine who needs one
- Drugmaker Moderna asked the FDA on Thursday to authorize a fourth shot of its COVID-19 vaccine as a booster dose for all adults, the AP reports. The request is broader than rival pharmaceutical company Pfizer's request earlier this week for the regulator to approve a booster shot for all...
FDA Gives Full Approval
to Moderna Vaccine
Jan 31, 2022 1:52 PM CST
FDA Gives Full Approval to Moderna Vaccine
Serious side effects have proved to be very rare
- Moderna announced Monday that US health regulators have granted full approval to its COVID-19 vaccine, a shot that's been given to tens of millions of Americans since its emergency authorization over a year ago. The action by the Food and Drug Administration means the agency has completed the same...
Trials Are Now Underway
Jan 27, 2022 6:22 AM CST
Omicron-Specific Booster Trials Are Now Underway
Moderna cites 'long-term threat demonstrated by omicron's immune escape'
- The first participant has received a shot in Moderna's Phase 2 clinical trial of an omicron-specific vaccine booster. Moderna, which made the announcement Wednesday, expects to enroll 600 adults in the US study, including some who have already received a booster shot, per Reuters . "We are reassured by...
'Lot of Infections'
From Omicron After
4th Dose: Trial
Jan 18, 2022 7:27 AM CST
'Lot of Infections' From Omicron After 4th Dose: Trial
In preliminary study from Israel, the first of its kind, antibodies rise after 2nd booster, infections persist
- Preliminary results are in on a clinical trial testing the efficacy of a fourth COVID shot, the world's first, and when it comes to omicron, that booster isn't doing the job researchers had hoped for. The
Times of Israel
reports that, in a study that began last month...
Scientists Announce Big Find
on Multiple Sclerosis
Jan 14, 2022 7:35 AM CST
Scientists Announce Big Find on Multiple Sclerosis
Findings 'strongly suggest' Epstein-Barr virus is 'a cause and not a consequence of MS'
- Researchers say more treatments for multiple sclerosis may be possible after finding a likely "initial trigger" of the auto immune disease. It's unknown what exactly causes MS, a condition affecting 2.8 million people in which immune system cells attack the protective coating on nerve fibers, though some...
Dec 20, 2021 8:33 AM CST
Good News on Moderna Booster
Early lab results suggests third shot provides significant protection against omicron
- Lab results from Moderna add to health officials' chorus on omicron: Get a booster. The company said Monday that preliminary results suggests a third shot of its vaccine provides significant protection against the new variant. The usual half-dose booster raised antibody levels 37-fold, while a full-dose booster—typically given to...
Get Pfizer or
Dec 17, 2021 2:51 AM CST
CDC: Get Pfizer or Moderna, Not J&J
CDC makes official new recommendation
The CDC is now officially taking the stance that that "mRNA vaccines are preferred over [Johnson & Johnson's] Janssen COVID-19 vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 for those 18 years of age and over." Within hours of a panel making that recommendation, the CDC director accepted...
Moderna CEO Predicts 'Material
Drop' in Vaccine Effectiveness
Nov 30, 2021 6:17 AM CST
Moderna CEO Predicts 'Material Drop' in Vaccine Effectiveness
Dow futures sink on Omicron news
- Drugmakers and health officials say we won't know for a few weeks just how bad the omicron variant will be, particularly in regard to the current vaccines. In the meantime, sentiment is seesawing, as reflected in world financial markets. Friday was grim , Monday rebounded , and now Tuesday is shifting...
Moderna Jumps 11.8%
as It Tests Vaccine
Nov 29, 2021 3:55 PM CST
Moderna Jumps 11.8% as It Tests Vaccine Against Variant
Markets recover ground after Friday's big drop
- The stock market steadied itself Monday following a slide last week brought on by the newest coronavirus variant. Investors are waiting for more clues about just how much damage the new strain may do to the economy. The S&P 500 recovered more than half its drop from Friday. Bond...
CDC Panel Backs Boosters,
Especially for Ages 50 and Up
Nov 19, 2021 2:55 PM CST
CDC Panel Backs Boosters, Especially for Ages 50 and Up
After one more step, shots could be made available to all adults this weekend
This file has been updated to reflect the recommendation of CDC advisers.
The US government on Friday moved to open up COVID-19 booster shots to all adults, expanding efforts to get ahead of rising coronavirus cases that experts fear could snowball into a winter surge as millions of Americans...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.