Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
in Ukraine Crisis
Jan 26, 2022 4:57 PM CST
US Rejects Russian Demands in Ukraine Crisis
'There is no change, there will be no change'
- The Biden administration and NATO told Russia on Wednesday there will be no US or NATO concessions on Moscow's main demands to resolve the crisis over Ukraine. In separate written responses delivered to the Russians, the US and NATO held firm to the alliance’s open-door policy for membership,...
Former Soviet Republics
Jan 22, 2022 4:15 PM CST
Former Soviet Republics Back Ukraine
US endorses shipment of anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles
- The Baltic nations of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania plan to send US-made anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles to Ukraine, a move that the US fully endorsed Saturday. As tensions over Russia's intent at the Ukraine border escalate, the defense ministers of the three Baltic states said in a joint statement...
Blinken: Russia Could Attack
Ukraine on 'Very Short Notice'
Jan 19, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Blinken: Russia Could Attack Ukraine on 'Very Short Notice'
Secretary of state spoke from Kyiv on Wednesday
- It's a week of heavy meetings for Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who on Wednesday met with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky ahead of a face-to-face with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Friday. In Kyiv, Blinken offered a message of support in the face of a buildup of Russian...
Blinken's History Lesson
Doesn't Amuse Russia
Jan 8, 2022 5:25 PM CST
Blinken's History Lesson Doesn't Amuse Russia
Nations take their shots just before talks begin on Ukraine
- Addressing the situation in Kazakhstan, where Russian forces are helping to put down violent protests, Secretary of State Antony Blinken suggested that inviting President Vladimir Putin to send military help is the easy part. "One lesson of recent history is that once Russians are in your house, it's...
Only 3 Federal
Most in US
Dec 27, 2021 8:18 AM CST
Only 3 Federal Officials Viewed Favorably by Most in US
John Roberts, the Fed's Jerome Powell, and Anthony Fauci
- Gallup put the names of 11 federal officials in front of Americans in a new survey, and only three registered positive ratings from the majority of respondents. The clear No. 1 was Supreme Court Justice John Roberts (60%), followed by Fed chief Jerome Powell (53%) and Dr. Anthony Fauci...
G7 Displays Unity to Russia
Dec 11, 2021 5:00 PM CST
G7 Displays Unity to Russia
Foreign ministers agree on 'massive consequences' if Ukraine is invaded
- Britain hosted top diplomats from the Group of Seven industrialized nations Saturday in Liverpool for talks dominated by Russia's buildup of troops near Ukraine's border and what Britain called Moscow's "malign behavior" around the world. The UK called for "a show of unity against global...
Havana Syndrome Cases Hit
Ahead of Blinken's Visit
Oct 13, 2021 9:09 AM CDT
Havana Syndrome Cases Hit Ahead of Blinken's Visit
Ailments surface in Colombia
- US officials are investigating suspected cases of Havana syndrome at the US embassy in Colombia, where Secretary of State Antony Blinken is to travel next week, days after similar reports surfaced at the US embassy in Germany. Emails from US Ambassador to Colombia Philip Goldberg describe a number of "...
Left No Good Options
Sep 13, 2021 5:04 PM CDT
Blinken: Trump Left No Good Options
'We inherited a deadline. We did not inherit a plan' for Afghanistan, he tells panel
- Repeatedly criticized by Republican lawmakers, Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Monday defending the US handling of the end of the war in Afghanistan. Blinken, in turn, put blame on former President Trump's administration, Politico reports. "We inherited a deadline," Blinken told the House Foreign Affairs Committee....
'We Expect a
Sep 13, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
'We Expect a Confrontational Hearing'
Secretary of State Antony Blinken will testify before Congress about Afghanistan
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken is expected to have a rough start to the week: He testifies before Congress twice in two days over all things related to Afghanistan. First comes a 2pm hearing on Monday before the House Foreign Affairs Committee, followed by a Tuesday appearance before the Senate...
Blinken: US Embassy Is Closed
Aug 30, 2021 8:15 PM CDT
Blinken: US Embassy Is Closed
Office in Qatar will handle relations with Afghanistan as a 'new chapter' opens
- All American diplomats are out of Afghanistan, and the US Embassy is closed—signaling an abandonment not just of fighting but of long-held hopes for diplomacy. Secretary of State Antony Blinken made the embassy announcement Monday in an address to the nation after the Defense Department said that its personnel...
Biden's Line in July About
Saigon Is Back to Haunt Him
Aug 16, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Biden's Line in July About Saigon Is Back to Haunt Him
One critic calls the withdrawal 'Saigon on steroids'
- The White House is working very hard to tamp down comparisons of what's happening in Kabul to what happened in Saigon in 1975. But for now, a statement that President Biden made only last month doesn't appear to be aging well:
"There's going to
Carving of Swastika
at State Department
Jul 27, 2021 4:07 PM CDT
Blinken Denounces Carving of Swastika at State Department
Etching occurred inside the building's security perimeter
- A swastika carved into an elevator car has been discovered at the State Department in Washington—in a location within the building's security perimeter. The elevator is close to the office of the special envoy charged with monitoring and opposing anti-semitism, Axios reports. Secretary of State Antony Blinken emailed...
Blinken Says US Will
Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
May 26, 2021 12:44 AM CDT
Blinken Says US Will Reopen Jerusalem Consulate
Secretary of State makes first official visit to the region
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Tuesday announced plans to reopen a key diplomatic outreach office to the Palestinians and pledged nearly $40 million in new aid—reversing key policies of the Trump administration as he moved to bolster the embattled Palestinian government in the West Bank. On his first...
Yet on Mideast
May 24, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
White House Making Biggest In-Person Push Yet on Mideast
Secretary of State Blinken is heading to the region
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken is heading to the Middle East to press the Israelis, Palestinians, and regional players to build on last week’s Gaza ceasefire by laying the groundwork for an eventual resumption in long-stalled peace talks, per the AP . President Biden announced Blinken would depart on Monday...
Blinken: US No Longer
Wants to Buy Greenland
May 21, 2021 4:07 AM CDT
Blinken: US No Longer Wants to Buy Greenland
'I can confirm that's correct,' he said during brief visit to territory
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken visited Greenland Thursday—and confirmed that the US is no longer interested in buying the autonomous Danish territory. The
reports that Blinken smiled when a reporter asked if the US had ruled out plans to buy Greenland. "I can confirm that’s correct,...
US, Russian Diplomats Meet
as Feds Announce Sanctions
May 20, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
US, Russian Diplomats Meet as Feds Announce Sanctions
They sparred politely on sidelines of Iceland summit
- Top diplomats from the United States and Russia sparred politely in Iceland during their first face-to-face encounter of the Biden administration, which came as ties between the nations have deteriorated sharply in recent months. Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Russia’s longtime Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov spoke frankly but...
Secretary of State
Alters US Approach
to Human Rights
Mar 31, 2021 3:07 PM CDT
Secretary of State Alters US Approach to Human Rights
Antony Blinken reverses some Trump administration policies
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken criticized Trump administration policies Tuesday in revealing the State Department's annual report on human rights, which was drafted under the previous administration. "Some have argued that it's not worth it for the US to speak up forcefully for human rights—or that...
High-Level US, China Talks
Were 'Unusually Undiplomatic'
Mar 19, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
High-Level US, China Talks Were 'Unusually Undiplomatic'
Alaska meeting turned into war of words
- America's top diplomats met their Chinese counterparts in Alaska Thursday—and it was clear from the start that relations would remain frosty. In his opening statement at the Biden's administration's first face-to-face high-level talks with China, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the US would discuss its...
China Takes Big Step
in Feud With Canada
Mar 18, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
China Takes Big Step in Feud With Canada
The '2 Michaels' to go on trial within days for spying
- The Chinese government will put two Canadians on trial for espionage within days, despite international calls for their release. Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor were arrested in 2018 in what was widely seen as retaliation for the arrest of Meng Wanzhou , an executive and the daughter of the founder of...
America Has a New
No. 1 Diplomat
Jan 26, 2021 12:05 PM CST
America Has a New No. 1 Diplomat
Antony Blinken is confirmed as secretary of state
- President Biden's team is falling into place. The Senate on Tuesday confirmed Antony Blinken as America’s top diplomat, per the AP . As secretary of state, Blinken will be tasked with carrying out Biden’s commitment to reverse the Trump administration’s “America First” doctrine that weakened international...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
Alicia Witt on Parents' Deaths: 'I Had No Idea' Heat Was Out
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
Boy Who Wrote Letter About Guns and Murder Is Shot Dead
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.