Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Russia's 'Secret First Lady'
Finally Added to Sanctions List
Aug 2, 2022 8:29 PM CDT
Russia's 'Secret First Lady' Finally Added to Sanctions List
Putin's alleged lover, Alina Kabaeva, had dodged US sanctions for months
: More than five months after Russia's invasion of Ukraine, the woman widely known as Russia's "secret first lady" has been hit with US sanctions. Former Olympic gymnast Alina Kabaeva, 39, was one of 13 Russian nationals added to the sanctions list Tuesday, the
Psaki's Last Day
in WH Spurs
May 14, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Psaki's Last Day in WH Spurs Kind Words From Doocy
Fox News correspondent says press secretary 'probably has made me a better reporter'
- It's the end of the Psaki era behind the West Wing podium. On Friday, White House press secretary Jen Psaki, 43, gave her final briefing, fielding more than 50 questions before offering her goodbyes. "You have challenged me. You have pushed me. You have debated me, and at...
Pick for Press
May 5, 2022 4:25 PM CDT
Biden Makes Groundbreaking Pick for Press Secretary
Karine Jean-Pierre will be the first Black woman to hold the job
- The next White House press secretary will be a pioneer. President Biden announced Thursday that Karine Jean-Pierre will replace Jen Psaki, becoming the first Black woman and the first openly gay woman in the job. Saying Jean-Pierre has "the experience, talent and integrity needed for this difficult job,"...
Poised to Make
Out of WH
Apr 1, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Psaki Finally Poised to Make Big Move Out of WH
Press secretary may leave as soon as May and jump over to MSNBC, reports say
- Since Jen Psaki started her job as White House press secretary in January 2021, it's been unclear exactly how long she planned to stay in the role. At first she said she'd stay about a year, then last June she noted there was some "flexibility" on that...
North Korea's Latest Missile
Launch a 'Brazen Violation'
Mar 24, 2022 7:34 AM CDT
North Korea's Latest Missile Launch a 'Brazen Violation'
Nation reportedly fires off banned ICBM, raising alarm about potential to one day reach US mainland
- As President Biden traveled to Europe this week to hunker down with NATO leaders over the continuing crisis in Ukraine, another issue halfway around the globe emerged. According to Japanese and South Korean officials, North Korea on Thursday fired off a banned intercontinental ballistic missile, its first one since 2017,...
US: Russian Claim Could Be
Setup for Chemical Weapons
Mar 9, 2022 7:55 PM CST
US: Russian Claim Could Be Setup for Chemical Weapons
Ukraine, US denounce claim of biological arms program
- President Biden's spokesperson said Wednesday that false claims Russia made about US involvement with biological weapons in Ukraine fit a familiar pattern and raise a new concern. The allegations are the sort of "false pretexts we have been warning the Russians would invent," Jen Psaki said in...
Its Oil, and Buyers
Aren't Buying It
Mar 4, 2022 12:00 PM CST
Russia Discounts Its Oil, and Buyers Aren't Buying It
Effects of self-sanctioning are being felt amid calls to ban Russian oil imports outright
- Western sanctions on Russia's oil industry are becoming more and more likely, analysts tell CNBC , despite continued resistance from the White House. "We don't have a strategic interest in reducing the global supply of energy and that would raise prices at the gas pump for the American...
Biden Graded Worse
Than Trump in First Year
Jan 19, 2022 12:35 PM CST
Biden Graded Worse Than Trump in First Year
Polls aren't kind to commander in chief, whose approval rating sits at 40%
- Wrapping up his first year in office, President Biden is "undeniably weaker than [when] he began it, with his poll numbers having plummeted and his party in danger of being swept out of power on Capitol Hill," reports Politico . A look at the victories, the failures, the challenges...
Biden to Announce
500M Free COVID Tests
Dec 21, 2021 6:42 AM CST
Biden to Announce 500M Free COVID Tests
They're to be delivered by mail to Americans who request them: officials
- President Biden will reportedly announce the purchase of half a billion at-home rapid COVID-19 tests, which are to be delivered for free to Americans who request them, in a nationwide speech Tuesday amid soaring cases of the omicron variant. An administration official said Americans will be able to request tests,...
Dec 19, 2021 2:00 PM CST
White House Gives Manchin an Earful
Psaki says senator should 'be true to his word' on Build Back Better
- A few Democrats are saying there's still a chance, but the White House went ahead and let loose on Sen. Joe Manchin on Sunday, Politico reports, after he announced he'll vote against President Biden's climate and social spending bill. If the West Virginia Democrat has broken off...
Nov 23, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Psaki Speaks on Biden's 'Intention' for 2024
White House press chief says the president plans on running for a 2nd term
- Talk of 2024 is already ramping up, and one of the key questions is: Will President Biden run again? The Hill notes a "flurry of reports" on such speculation, including a
article over the weekend reporting that the president and his inner circle have been telling Democratic...
Harris Is First Woman to Gain
Presidential Power, Briefly
Nov 19, 2021 10:08 AM CST
Harris Is First Woman to Gain Presidential Power, Briefly
President Biden will be under anesthesia for routine colonoscopy Friday
- Vice President Kamala Harris is making history again: She'll become the first woman to hold presidential power while President Biden undergoes a routine procedure on Friday. Biden will temporarily transfer power to Harris while he is under anesthesia for a routine colonoscopy, according to White House press secretary Jen...
Nov 1, 2021 12:39 AM CDT
Jen Psaki Has COVID
White House press secretary last saw Biden on Tuesday
- White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Sunday she has contracted COVID-19 and is experiencing mild symptoms, the AP reports. Psaki, 42, said she was last in contact with President Biden on Tuesday, when she met him outside the White House, where they were more than 6 feet apart and...
Sorry for Possible
Oct 16, 2021 8:30 AM CDT
Psaki Says Sorry for Possible Breach: 'Words Certainly Matter'
Ethics watchdog says press secretary shouldn't have promoted Va. gubernatorial contender McAuliffe
- President Biden's camp is going all in for support of Terry McAuliffe, the Democratic candidate for Virginia governor, but one member of that team is now getting dinged for not lying low. Reuters reports that the nonprofit watchdog Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington has called for an...
Facing Death, Evacuation Race
on for Afghan Women Judges
Aug 25, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Facing Death, Evacuation Race on for Afghan Women Judges
Tens of thousands could be left behind in Kabul as Taliban says no more Afghans can evacuate
- A retired US judge working 20 hours a day to evacuate some 250 female judges and their families from Afghanistan says her network is quickly running out of time. President Biden said Tuesday that he would stick to the Aug. 31 deadline for removing Americans and endangered Afghans from the...
Aug 24, 2021 2:32 AM CDT
Jen Psaki Not Happy With Reporter's 'Stranded' Comment
Says Americans are not stranded in Afghanistan
- Peter Doocy, Fox News' White House reporter, had a question for Jen Psaki during Monday's White House press briefing that the press secretary did not appreciate. "Does the president have a sense that most of the criticism is not of leaving Afghanistan, it’s the way that he...
for Biden Has
a 'North Star'
on the Job
Aug 15, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Press Chief for Biden Has a 'North Star' on the Job
'Vogue' profiles Jen Psaki, who says projecting a calm tone is a priority
is out with a profile of Biden press chief Jen Psaki, one that has a decidedly flattering tone. "When Psaki first appeared in the press briefing room, in January 2021, there was a collective swoon from roughly half the country," writes Lizzie Widdicombe. The piece praises...
to Tucker Carlson's
Jun 30, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
NSA Responds to Tucker Carlson's Spying Claims
Fox News host said he'd 'confirmed' that was happening, but agency says nope
- Tucker Carlson is claiming the US government is reading his private emails in an attempt to take his show off the air. "The Biden administration is spying on us," the host of Fox News'
Tucker Carlson Tonight
said on Monday's show. "We have confirmed that."...
May 12, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Cheney Vote Disturbs White House
McCarthy backs bipartisanship after meeting with Biden
- On the sidelines for this political battle, the Biden administration expressed concern Wednesday about House Republicans' decision to remove Rep. Liz Cheney from her leadership position. Cheney had refused to endorse former President Trump's version of the outcome of the presidential election last November. "It's disturbing to...
Reality Winner Wants Biden
Answer on 'Glaring Discrepancy'
in case you missed it
May 1, 2021 12:08 PM CDT
Reality Winner Wants Biden Answer on 'Glaring Discrepancy'
Jailed for leaking intel report, she wants to know why she's behind bars for longer than Russian spy
- Reality Winner, who's been behind bars for nearly four years , is set to be released from prison at the end of November, with a chance she could be sent to a halfway house before that. But the 29-year-old Air Force veteran—who leaked a classified National Security Agency report...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.