Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Coming Soon to Americans'
Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
Aug 31, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Coming Soon to Americans' Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
This one also targets omicron versions BA.4 and BA.5
- The US on Wednesday authorized its first update to COVID-19 vaccines, booster doses that target today's most common omicron strain. Shots could begin within days. The move by the FDA tweaks the recipe of shots made by Pfizer and rival Moderna. Until now, COVID-19 vaccines have targeted the original...
Mask Mandate Won't Return
Friday to Los Angeles County
Jul 28, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Mask Mandate Won't Return Friday to Los Angeles County
Coronavirus cases and hospitalization rates are trending down in the area
: An indoor mask mandate scheduled to take effect Friday in Los Angeles County won't, after officials decided the number of new coronavirus cases has dropped enough to make it unnecessary. Hospitalization rates also have improved, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. Criticism of the reimposition increased as Friday neared....
'Centaurus' Omicron Variant
Is Raising Concerns
Jul 13, 2022 6:43 AM CDT
'Centaurus' Omicron Variant Is Raising Concerns
India experiencing 'exponential increase' with BA.2.75
- Another super contagious omicron variant has been detected in the US. Dubbed "Centaurus," the BA.2.75 variant was first detected in India in early May and is now spreading rapidly there. "It's still really early on for us to draw too many conclusions" but "...
These 2 New Variants
Jul 5, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
These 2 New Variants Are Extra-Contagious
BA.4 and BA.5 are great at evading protections, including from past omicron infections
- Two new extra-contagious variants of omicron with transmissibility similar to measles are together dominating COVID-19 cases in the US, leading to talk of new indoor mask mandates. Here's what you need to know:
BA.4 was first detected in South Africa in January, while BA.5 was first
May 7, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Administration: 100M New Cases Are Possible
Warning of big wave this fall and winter is designed to increase preparation and funding
- With a combination of factors making a major wave of coronavirus infections look more likely later this year, the Biden administration has raised the alarm by suggesting a distressing scenario: 100 million new cases over fall and winter. Deaths and hospitalizations would post sharp increases, the
Is Taking Over
Apr 9, 2022 5:00 AM CDT
Extra-Contagious COVID Strain Is Taking Over
BA2 is now dominant in 68 countries, including the US
- In the latest battle of the coronavirus mutants, an extra-contagious version of omicron has taken over the world. The coronavirus version known as BA2 is now dominant in at least 68 countries, including the United States.The World Health Organization says it makes up about 94% of sequenced omicron cases...
Says 4th Dose
Mar 16, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
Pfizer CEO Says 4th Dose 'Is Necessary'
But he's hoping company will soon have a shot that works against all variants
Pfizer, along with its partner BioNTech, on Tuesday asked US regulators to authorize an additional COVID vaccine booster for seniors. The pharmaceutical company says data from Israel as well as an ongoing study of healthcare workers suggest those 65 and older would benefit from a fourth dose, the AP...
White House Details
Plan for Life With COVID
Mar 2, 2022 7:30 PM CST
White House Details Plan for Life With COVID
Approach includes familiar preventive tools and efforts to catch new variants quickly
- White House officials detailed their approach to the next, less disruptive stage of life with COVID, in which Americans would mostly return to their pre-pandemic routines. But precautions and vigilance still will be required, CNN reports. "Vaccines, treatments, tests, masks—these tools are how we continue to protect people...
Studies Find No Rush
for Next Booster Shot
Feb 21, 2022 6:55 PM CST
Studies Find No Rush for Next Booster Shot
Antibodies produced after third dose appear to do well against variants
- It's reasonable to assume health officials will soon recommend a second booster shot of the coronavirus vaccine to maintain protection against COVID-19. Israel has made fourth shots available, per CNN . The UK plans to do so this spring for people over 75. In the US, the FDA said that...
US COVID Death Toll
Feb 5, 2022 2:20 PM CST
US COVID Death Toll Approaches 1M
900,000 people have died, officials say
- The US death toll from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is inching closer to 1 million as the Omicron variant rages throughout the world, the AP reports. More than 10% of the 900,000 Americans lost to the virus died after Dec. 12, per Reuters . “If you had told most...
'Stealth Omicron' Has
Arrived in the US
Jan 26, 2022 10:05 AM CST
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
BA.2, now in 40 nations, may be more contagious than original omicron, though data is limited
- Cases of an omicron subvariant have popped up in at least 40 countries, including the US. Health officials in California's Santa Clara County confirmed two cases of "stealth omicron," or BA.2, on Tuesday, adding to 11 existing cases in the state as of Monday, reports the...
'Lot of Infections'
From Omicron After
4th Dose: Trial
Jan 18, 2022 7:27 AM CST
'Lot of Infections' From Omicron After 4th Dose: Trial
In preliminary study from Israel, the first of its kind, antibodies rise after 2nd booster, infections persist
- Preliminary results are in on a clinical trial testing the efficacy of a fourth COVID shot, the world's first, and when it comes to omicron, that booster isn't doing the job researchers had hoped for. The
Times of Israel
reports that, in a study that began last month...
Congress Hit by
Surge in Cases
Jan 4, 2022 2:00 AM CST
Congress Hit by 'Unprecedented' Surge in Cases
Lawmakers urged to meet virtually amid wave of COVID-19 cases
- The Capitol physician is warning lawmakers of an "unprecedented" number of cases hitting members of Congress and their staffers. At the on-site testing center, the 7-day positivity rate is higher than 13%, compared to less than 1% before the rise of the omicron variant, Politico reports. Omicron accounts for...
Just Don't Take
a Cruise, CDC Advises
Dec 30, 2021 5:25 PM CST
Just Don't Take a Cruise, CDC Advises
Warning applies regardless of the traveler's vaccination status
- In response to a series of onboard outbreaks , the CDC on Thursday advised all Americans—vaccinated or not—to stay off cruise ships. The agency cited a rise in coronavirus infections and the quick-spreading omicron variant, per NBC News . COVID-19 "spreads easily between people in close quarters on board...
British DJ 'Devastated' for
Bringing Omicron to NZ
Dec 30, 2021 7:46 AM CST
British DJ 'Devastated' for Bringing Omicron to NZ
Nation's health officials say Robert Etheridge left required self-isolation before getting test result
- New Zealand health officials are reeling after a British DJ set to play a New Year's Eve music fest left his required self-isolation before getting the results of a final COVID test back. He subsequently tested positive for omicron, the country's first community case of the variant. The...
In the Long Term, Rise of
Omicron Could Be a Good Thing
Dec 29, 2021 7:00 AM CST
In the Long Term, Rise of Omicron Could Be a Good Thing
And more on the surging COVID-19 variant
- Omicron woes seem to have taken over the country, with flights being canceled left and right , the sports and showbiz worlds continuing to be impacted, and the US on Tuesday hitting a record high seven-day average of 254,496 new cases per day. A CNN medical analyst speculates that number...
Dec 24, 2021 6:56 AM CST
Thanks, Omicron: Hundreds of Christmas Eve Flights Canceled
United, Delta, and Alaska are canceling flights
- Not exactly what holiday travelers want to hear the day before Christmas Eve: Three airlines announced Thursday they were canceling flights for the following day due to the omicron variant of COVID-19. United Airlines canceled more than 150 flights, saying "the nationwide spike in omicron cases this week has...
Out of South Africa, a
'Tantalizing Hint' on Omicron
Dec 22, 2021 11:34 AM CST
Out of South Africa, a 'Tantalizing Hint' on Omicron
Case count is dropping, at least in recent days
- A new study out of South Africa offers some positive news on the omicron variant, but with an asterisk. The study, which appeared Tuesday in the preprint medical publication MedRxiv , found that South Africans who came down with the omicron variant were 80% less likely to be hospitalized compared to...
Scientists Playing 'Long Game'
Have Big Vaccine News
Dec 22, 2021 6:21 AM CST
Scientists Playing 'Long Game' Have Big Vaccine News
US Army researchers say they have a COVID vaccine that fights all variants, even future ones
- With the chaotic entry of omicron onto the pandemic stage, there's concern that current vaccines may not be as effective against this variant as they were against others. Which is why news out of the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research is especially noteworthy: Defense One reports that scientists...
Dec 22, 2021 1:29 AM CST
Antibody Treatments Aren't Working Against Omicron
Antiviral drugs appear to still be effective
- In yet more bad news about the omicron variant of COVID-19, hospitals have found that two of the three monoclonal antibody treatments that have been keeping serious disease at bay for many coronavirus patients do not appear to work against this variant. The one that still does is, not surprisingly,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The 'Iconic' Kirstie Alley Is Dead at 71
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
You Can Keep Procrastinating on That Real ID
Recent Storms Leave Mystery Debris Protruding from Beach
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.