Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Biden infrastructure plan
Jan 28, 2022 5:25 PM CST
Biden: We'll Fix That Bridge, Others
There are many more like the span that collapsed, local officials say
- President Biden had planned to give a speech about infrastructure needs Friday at Mill 19, a research and development hub that once was a major metals producer in Pittsburgh, WTAE reports. He did that, but he made a stop first at a place that made his point for him: the...
After Bridge Collapses,
a Human Chain Forms
Jan 28, 2022 9:05 AM CST
After Bridge Collapses, a Human Chain Forms
10 suffered minor injuries early Friday in Pittsburgh
- Ten people suffered minor injuries when a two-lane vehicle bridge collapsed in Pittsburgh early Friday, hours before President Biden was due to visit the city to discuss a $1 trillion infrastructure plan . The bridge, which stretches over a wooded ravine and creek in the Point Breeze neighborhood's Frick Park,...
AOC: We Shouldn't
Nov 22, 2021 5:29 PM CST
AOC: We Shouldn't 'Over-Promise and 'Under-Deliver'
She warns against infrastructure 'victory laps'
- President Biden has signe d the bipartisan infrastructure bill, and a $1.9 trillion social spending bill has passed the House —but Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez warns that her fellow Democrats should be careful about doing victory laps. The progressive Democrat says the base will be alienated and turnout at...
Biden: 'Your Life Is Going
to Change for the Better'
Nov 15, 2021 4:24 PM CST
Biden: 'Your Life Is Going to Change for the Better'
He signs $1T infrastructure bill
- President Biden signed his $1 trillion infrastructure deal into law Monday on the White House lawn, hailing it as an example of what bipartisanship can achieve. The president hopes to use the law to build back his popularity and says it will deliver jobs, clean water, high-speed internet, and a...
House Finally Passes
$1T Infrastructure Bill
Nov 5, 2021 11:52 PM CDT
House Finally Passes $1T Infrastructure Bill
But vote on social spending bill has been delayed
- The House approved a $1 trillion package of road and other infrastructure projects late Friday after Democrats resolved a months-long standoff between progressives and moderates, notching a victory that President Biden and his party had become increasingly anxious to claim. The House passed the measure 228-206, prompting prolonged cheers from...
House Is Finally Ready
to Vote on 2 Massive Bills
Nov 5, 2021 4:44 AM CDT
House Is Finally Ready to Vote on 2 Massive Bills
Votes on social spending, infrastructure bills expected Friday
- Days after a stinging defeat in Virginia, Democrats are trying to move forward quickly with President Biden's agenda. Sources tell the Hill that after a long day of meetings Thursday, House Democrats are planning to vote Friday on a massive social spending bill as well as the infrastructure package...
Biden Concedes Frustration,
Saying He'll Keep Working
Oct 2, 2021 5:25 PM CDT
Biden Concedes Frustration, Saying He'll Keep Working
With bills stuck in Congress, president plans to lobby nation
- With his domestic legislation not moving on Capitol Hill, even after his trip there Friday, President Biden insisted success is still possible, saying he'll "work like hell" to achieve it. But the president didn't try to sugarcoat the situation Saturday. "Everybody is frustrated," he said....
'We're Going to Get This Done,'
Biden Says After Hill Meeting
Oct 1, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
'We're Going to Get This Done,' Biden Says After Hill Meeting
President lobbies divided Democrats for the first time in person
- With his domestic legislative agenda going nowhere in Congress, many Democrats had publicly urged President Biden to get more involved personally in negotiations. He did that Friday afternoon, going to Capitol Hill to meet with the divided House Democrats, the
New York Times
reports. As he left, he expressed confidence...
'No Room for Error' as
Shutdown Deadline Nears
Sep 30, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
'No Room for Error' as Shutdown Deadline Nears
Stopgap bill would fund government agencies through early December
- The White House told federal agencies last week to prepare for a government shutdown but it now appears that a shutdown will be avoided just before the deadline of midnight Thursday. The House and Senate are expected to vote on a short-term funding patch Thursday, but CNN reports that lawmakers...
Biden Betting the Farm
on Manchin, Sinema
Sep 29, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Biden Betting the Farm on Manchin, Sinema
Getting them on board with his $3.5T package is key for infrastructure bill, too
- "Biden bets it all on unlocking the Manchinema puzzle" is Politico's assessment of the fate of the president's $3.5 trillion package to expand the social safety net. CBS News explains why: The bill has zero support from Republicans, meaning it can only pass via a budgetary...
Dems Break Deadlock
on $3.5T Budget Blueprint
Aug 24, 2021 5:31 PM CDT
Dems Break Deadlock on $3.5T Budget Blueprint
It passes after Pelosi makes promise to moderates
- Democratic leaders have overcome a standoff between progressive and moderates and passed a $3.5 trillion budget plan. A group of moderate House Democrats had threatened to block the plan, potentially derailing a big part of President Biden's agenda, unless there was an immediate vote on the $1 trillion...
This Is Going to Be a
Tough Week for Biden
Aug 23, 2021 1:22 PM CDT
This Is Going to Be a Tough Week for Biden
Democratic standoff threatens his agenda
- Last week, Joe Biden faced the biggest crisis of his presidency so far after the collapse of Afghanistan's government and military—and this week is unlikely to be any easier. Top administration officials will face tough questions about Afghanistan in congressional hearings , and a standoff has developed among House...
Pelosi's New Problem:
9 Fellow Democrats
Aug 13, 2021 3:44 PM CDT
Pelosi's New Problem: 9 Fellow Democrats
She's given an ultimatum over budget and infrastructure measures
- A group of nine Democratic House members has told Speaker Nancy Pelosi they won't vote for the $3.5 trillion budget until the chamber takes up the Senate's infrastructure bill. "We will not consider voting for a budget resolution until the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act...
Pelosi: House Will Hold Off
on Infrastructure Bill Vote
Aug 11, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Pelosi: House Will Hold Off on Infrastructure Bill Vote
House Dems will wait until larger $3.5T package has also cleared Senate
- A $1 trillion infrastructure passed the Senate with bipartisan support Tuesday—but House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is resisting pressure from moderate Democrats to bring it up for a vote immediately. Sources tell the Hill that during a call with House Democrats on Wednesday, Pelosi said she was sticking to her...
Senators Vote to Work on
$1T Infrastructure Plan
Jul 28, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
Senators Vote to Work on $1T Infrastructure Plan
Package passes test vote, 67-32, and moves toward debate
- Senators of both parties voted Wednesday night to get started on President Biden's $1 trillion infrastructure plan. The 67-32 vote puts the Senate on schedule to begin debate on the package this week, the
reports, a full month after Biden had announced that a deal had been...
Talks With GOP Collapse
Jun 8, 2021 6:12 PM CDT
Biden's Infrastructure Talks With GOP Collapse
Focus shifts to bipartisan group of senators
- After weeks of talks, President Biden has failed to build a bridge between Democrats and Republicans on his infrastructure package. GOP Sen. Shelley Moore Capito, the chief Republican negotiator, said Tuesday that Biden had ended the talks, NBC reports. She said Biden turned down a "very robust and targeted...
Biden: People Will Say This Is
When America Won the Future
Mar 31, 2021 6:20 PM CDT
Biden: People Will Say This Is When America Won the Future
He unveils 'largest American jobs investment since World War II'
- President Biden unveiled his sweeping infrastructure investment plan Wednesday in the same city where he announced his White House bid in 2019. The president, speaking at a carpenters union training center in Pittsburgh, described the $2.3 trillion plan as a "once-in-a-generation investment in America" unlike anything since the...
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
'Seemingly Impossible' DNA Task Earns Him a Nobel
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.