Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New York Ends
After 28 Months
Sep 7, 2022 4:55 PM CDT
New York Ends Mask Mandate After 28 Months
They're now optional on mass transit, but not in hospitals
- Masks are still recommended on public transportation in New York, Gov. Kathy Hochul says—but after 28 months, they are no longer mandatory. Hochul announced an end to the mass transit mask mandate Wednesday, though many people stopped heeding it months ago and officials had largely stopped enforcing it, NBC...
Mask Mandate Won't Return
Friday to Los Angeles County
Jul 28, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Mask Mandate Won't Return Friday to Los Angeles County
Coronavirus cases and hospitalization rates are trending down in the area
: An indoor mask mandate scheduled to take effect Friday in Los Angeles County won't, after officials decided the number of new coronavirus cases has dropped enough to make it unnecessary. Hospitalization rates also have improved, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. Criticism of the reimposition increased as Friday neared....
on Mask Mandate
Apr 21, 2022 10:23 PM CDT
Philadelphia Does Abrupt About-Face on Mask Mandate
Drops it just days after it went into effect
Philadelphia is ending its indoor mask mandate, city health officials said Thursday night, abruptly reversing course just days after city residents had to start wearing masks again amid a sharp increase in infections. The Board of Health voted Thursday to rescind the mandate, according to the Philadelphia health department,...
Biden Clarifies After
Apr 21, 2022 7:00 PM CDT
Biden Clarifies After Jumbling Issues
President wraps mask mandate into response about border policy
- After giving a confused answer to a reporter Thursday at the White House, President Biden issued an unusual clarification. The president was asked if he was looking into delaying the lifting of Title 42, an order that allows border agents to immediately expel asylum seekers to Mexico or their home...
CDC Gives Go-Ahead
to Appeal of Mask Ruling
Apr 20, 2022 5:50 PM CDT
CDC Gives Go-Ahead to Appeal of Mask Ruling
Mandate still is needed for public travel, agency says
: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has made its decision about a federal judge's ruling against mask mandates for public transit, including airplanes. "It is CDC's continuing assessment that at this time an order requiring masking in the indoor transportation corridor remains necessary for the...
Judge Who Dumped
Mask Mandate Got
One Term Wrong: Experts
Apr 20, 2022 7:05 AM CDT
Judge Who Dumped Mask Mandate Got One Term Wrong: Experts
Legal experts say she misinterpreted the word 'sanitation'
- As the feds consider appealing the judicial ruling that ended the mask mandate on public transportation, legal experts who spoke to NPR say the judge who issued the ruling misinterpreted the law. The portion of the Public Health Service Act that the Biden administration used to justify the mandate says...
Flight Attendant to Plane:
'Happy Unmasking Day!'
Apr 19, 2022 6:45 AM CDT
Flight Attendant to Plane: 'Happy Unmasking Day!'
Airlines drop mask rule after federal judge's ruling
- A decision by a federal judge in Florida to throw out a national mask mandate for public transportation across the US created a confusing patchwork of rules for passengers as they navigate airports and transit systems, the AP reports. The ruling gives airports, mass transit systems, airlines, and ride-hailing services...
Mask Mandate for Public
Travel Just Got Ditched
Apr 18, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
Mask Mandate for Public Travel Just Got Ditched
Federal judge voids rule, says health officials overstepped authority
- A federal judge in Florida has voided the national mask mandate covering airplanes and other public transportation as exceeding the authority of US health officials even in the coronavirus pandemic, per the AP . The decision Monday by US District Judge Kathryn Kimball Mizelle in Tampa, an appointee of former President...
Travel Mask Mandate
Extended Another 15 Days
Apr 13, 2022 2:00 PM CDT
Travel Mask Mandate Extended Another 15 Days
CDC says it needs more time to assess impact of BA.2 subvariant
- The nationwide mask mandate on planes, trains, and other public transportation has been extended yet again. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday that the mandate, which had been due to expire April 18, will be extended for at least another 15 days, meaning travelers will be required...
Florida, 20 Other States
Challenge Plane Mask Rule
Mar 29, 2022 4:58 PM CDT
Florida, 20 Other States Challenge Plane Mask Rule
CDC mandate is set to expire April 18
- Florida and 20 other states sued Tuesday to halt the federal government's requirement that people wear masks on planes, trains, ferries, and other public transportation amid the coronavirus pandemic. The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Tampa, Florida, contends that the mask mandate exceeds the authority of the Centers...
West Coast States Are
Lifting School Mask Mandates
Feb 28, 2022 5:13 PM CST
West Coast States Are Lifting School Mask Mandates
California, Oregon, Washington say rule will be lifted March 12
- Schoolchildren in California, Oregon, and Washington will no longer be required to wear masks as part of new indoor mask policies the Democratic governors of all three states announced jointly on Monday. "With declining case rates and hospitalizations across the West, California, Oregon, and Washington are moving together to...
NY Is Dumping
2 Big COVID Mandates
Feb 28, 2022 4:03 AM CST
NY Is Dumping 2 Big COVID Mandates
The state is lifting the mask mandate for schools; NYC likely lifting a vaccine mandate
- New York's statewide masking requirement in schools will be lifted by March 2, Gov. Kathy Hochul said Sunday, citing a dramatic drop in COVID-19 infections and new federal guidelines. Hours later, New York City Mayor Eric Adams said he's considering lifting vaccine mandates on restaurants, bars, and theaters...
Just in Time for SOTU,
Capitol Ditches Mask Mandate
Feb 28, 2022 1:50 AM CST
Just in Time for SOTU, Capitol Ditches Mask Mandate
New CDC guidance eased the way for the move
- Face coverings are now optional for President Biden's State of the Union address Tuesday, as Congress is lifting its mask requirement on the House floor after federal regulators eased guidelines last week in a rethinking of the nation's strategy to adapt to living with a more manageable COVID-19....
Texas Asks Court to
Block Plane Mask Mandate
Feb 17, 2022 5:00 AM CST
Texas Asks Court to Block Plane Mask Mandate
AG Ken Paxton slams Biden's 'disregard of the individual liberties of Texans'
- Texas is taking the Biden administration to court in a bid to end the federal mask mandate for planes and other public transport. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton and Republican US Rep. Beth Van Duyne filed a lawsuit in federal court Wednesday, arguing that the mandate is unconstitutional and the...
Nevada Unmasks Gamblers
Feb 10, 2022 7:12 PM CST
Nevada Unmasks Gamblers
Governor lifts mandate for most public places
- Signs announcing face masks were required came down in Nevada casinos on Thursday, after the state dropped its mandate for public places. The change was effective immediately. "It's really an exciting day," said Stephen Thayer, general manager of the Strat in Las Vegas. Employees were relieved that...
'New Yorkers, This Is What
We Have Been Waiting For'
Feb 9, 2022 12:10 PM CST
'New Yorkers, This Is What We Have Been Waiting For'
State is lifting mask mandate for more indoor public spaces
- New York Gov. Kathy Hochul says the state is lifting its mask mandate for most indoor public spaces—but it will remain in place for now in schools as well as healthcare facilities and a few other settings. The governor cited declining COVID infection rates and hospitalizations, the
2 Democratic Governors
Drop School Mask Mandates
Feb 7, 2022 11:51 AM CST
2 Democratic Governors Drop School Mask Mandates
New Jersey and Delaware are the latest
- New Jersey is dropping its requirement that students and staffers wear masks at schools, reports NJ.com . The news was seen as significant because Gov. Phil Murphy is a Democrat "who has imposed some of the nation’s most stringent pandemic-related mandates," per the
New York Times
Garcetti: I Was Holding My
Breath in Maskless Photo
Feb 3, 2022 12:05 PM CST
Garcetti: I Was Holding My Breath in Maskless Photo
Garcetti, Newsom accused of violating SoFi stadium mandate
- Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti has a new job lined up as ambassador to India—but with his apparent breath-holding abilities, he might want to consider a career as a pearl diver. The mayor was mocked this week after he said he was holding his breath in a photo where...
Judge on New York's
Mask Mandate: Nope
Jan 25, 2022 5:05 AM CST
Judge on New York's Mask Mandate: Nope
Governor says she's working to have decision reversed
- New York's mask mandate was struck down by a state supreme court judge who on Monday declared the mandate unenforceable. The judge ruled that without approval from the state legislature, and because no state of emergency is currently in place, the governor and health commissioner had no authority to...
Companies Take Ruling on
Mandate Under Advisement
Jan 13, 2022 7:25 PM CST
Companies Take Ruling on Mandate Under Advisement
Employers could impose their own rule after Supreme Court decision
- Everyone seemed to welcome or lament the Supreme Court's decision Thursday on the Biden administration's vaccine-or-testing mandate for large companies—except the companies. Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt, a Republican leader in the effort to block it, said the ruling is "a big win for workers across...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.