Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Laundrie's Parents Release
'Burn After Reading' Letter
May 25, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Laundrie's Parents Release 'Burn After Reading' Letter
They say it has nothing to do with Gabby Petito's killing
- The parents of Brian Laundrie have released the full letter his mother wrote to him after snippets that emerged previously raised eyebrows. For one thing, the letter came in an envelope on which Roberta Laundrie wrote "burn after reading." And in the letter itself, she offers to bring...
Laundrie's Mom Wrote Him
a Letter: 'Burn After Reading'
Feb 15, 2023 12:15 AM CST
Laundrie's Mom Wrote Him a Letter: 'Burn After Reading'
Parents of Gabby Petito want them to turn it over as part of lawsuit
- The parents of Gabby Petito want the parents of the man accused of killing her to turn over a letter that came with the instructions, "Burn after reading." The letter was written by Brian Laundrie's mother, Roberta, to her son, and it was found in his backpack...
Feb 8, 2023 1:07 AM CST
Newly Released Selfie Shows Gabby Petito 'Documenting' Injuries
Minutes before Moab traffic stop, Petito took a photo of her bruised face
- Before Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie were stopped by police in Moab, Utah, after a 911 caller reported seeing Laundrie hitting Petito , Petito may have been documenting her injuries. The family of Petito, who two weeks after the traffic stop was killed by her boyfriend , Laundrie, before he took his...
Suit: Laundries' Lawyer
Knew Petito Was Dead
Dec 7, 2022 9:45 AM CST
Suit: Laundries' Lawyer Knew Petito Was Dead
Gabby Petito's parents claim he made 'coldhearted' statement on a possible reunion anyway
- Gabby Petito's parents filed a motion Tuesday to add Steven Bertolino, an attorney for the parents of Brian Laundrie, to their ongoing negligence lawsuit against the couple, alleging he, too, knew Laundrie had killed Petito before her body was found. Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt initially sued Christopher and...
Petito Family Settles
Lawsuit for $3M
Nov 17, 2022 5:40 PM CST
Petito Family Settles Lawsuit for $3M
Negligence case against killer's family is still scheduled for next year
- A judge in Florida on Thursday awarded the family of Gabby Petito $3 million in a wrongful death suit filed against the estate of her killer. The settlement heads off a trial scheduled for next month in the case filed by the slain woman's parents, Joseph Petito and Nichole...
Over Brian Laundrie Clue
Nov 15, 2022 1:08 PM CST
Pilloried Over Brian Laundrie Clue
It referenced his final days in the Myakkahatchee Creek area
tested contestants on Sunday with a category related to the letter "A"—and of the thousands of clues it could have offered related to alligators, it opted to go with one involving dead fugitive Brian Laundrie. WFLA reports actors John Michael Higgins, Wil Wheaton, and Joel...
Gabby Petito Seen
Hours Before Murder
in New Video
Oct 19, 2022 4:38 AM CDT
Gabby Petito Seen Hours Before Murder in New Video
She's seen shopping with Brian Laundrie at a Wyoming Whole Foods
- In newly released surveillance footage that media outlets are describing as being recorded hours before her murder, Gabby Petito is seen with Brian Laundrie in a Whole Foods grocery store in Jackson Hole, Wyo. The Aug. 27, 2021, footage is from shortly after the couple fought at a Jackson Hole...
Gabby Petito's Parents
File Suit Against Police in Utah
Aug 8, 2022 2:33 PM CDT
Gabby Petito's Parents File Suit Against Police in Utah
They should have realized she 'needed immediate protection,' lawyer says
- Gabby Petito could have been saved if police officers in Moab, Utah, had responded differently to a 911 call around two weeks before she was murdered, her parents say in a wrongful death lawsuit. Petito's parents filed a legal claim Monday against the Moab Police Department and several of...
Jul 4, 2022 5:47 AM CDT
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
Kathleen Hale at 'Vanity Fair' takes a deep dive into the Petito-Laundrie relationship
- A year ago this week, Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie set out on their cross-country road trip from New York state, a journey that Petito hoped might launch a career as a travel blogger. The world knows how it ended: Laundrie strangled her the next month at their camp in...
Jun 25, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Experts Are Raising Eyebrows at Laundrie Confession
In newly revealed note, Laundrie paints picture of a mercy killing: 'I ended her life'
- If any doubt had remained that Brian Laundrie killed fiancee Gabby Petito , a new reveal should put those doubts to rest. Steve Bertolino, an attorney for the Laundrie family, shared a note penned by Laundrie with Fox News , taken from a notebook that was retrieved by the FBI in Florida'...
May 6, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
The Gabby Petito Story
Network says film will examine her 'complicated relationship' with her fiancé
- A made-for-TV movie will be added to the media coverage of the disappearance and killing of Gabby Petito. Lifetime has announced it's ordered production of
The Gabby Petito Story,
The 22-year-old Florida woman vanished during a cross-country trip with her fiancé last year. Her body was...
Apr 30, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Petito Family Lobs New Accusation Against the Laundries
Amended lawsuit says Brian Laundrie's parents knew Gabby was dead when they went on vacation
- There's a new accusation included in the amended lawsuit brought by Gabby Petito's family against the parents of her alleged killer, fiance Brian Laundrie. Per the Hill , the complaint by Joe Petito and Nichole Schmidt now claims that Chris and Roberta Laundrie knew of Gabby's death, and...
We Did Nothing
Wrong in Not
Mar 31, 2022 12:31 AM CDT
Laundrie Parents: We Did Nothing Wrong in Not Speaking
They file motion to dismiss lawsuit brought by Gabby Petito's parents
Gabby Petito's death is "unfortunate," but Brian Laundrie's parents did nothing wrong and were simply exercising their constitutional rights when they refused to speak to her parents or police about the case: That's the gist of a Wednesday court filing from Laundrie's parents,...
Brian Laundrie's Full
Autopsy Report Is Out
Feb 15, 2022 12:32 AM CST
Brian Laundrie's Full Autopsy Report Is Out
It includes details of condition of remains, what else was found
- Brian Laundrie's complete, 47-page autopsy report has been released, and while it doesn't drop any bombshells regarding the death of the 23-year-old suspect in the murder of his fiancee, Gabby Petito, it does add detail. Dozens of human bones were found at the scene where Laundrie died of...
FBI: Laundrie Took
in His Notebook
Jan 21, 2022 5:42 PM CST
FBI: Laundrie Took Responsibility in His Notebook
Investigation into Gabby Petito's killing will close soon, agents say
- A notebook kept by Brian Laundrie made his guilt clear in the slaying of Gabby Petito, the FBI announced Friday. The Denver field office said the investigation into the death of the 22-year-old Florida woman will be closed shortly, per CNN . "All logical investigative steps have been concluded in...
Jan 13, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Report: Petito Likely 'Long- Term' Domestic Violence Victim
'Mistakes' were made in Aug. 12 police stop, independent report adds
- An investigation has found that Utah police made "several unintentional mistakes" when they stopped Gabby Petito and her boyfriend before she was killed, per the AP . The independent report released Wednesday examines a police stop in Moab on Aug. 12 after the couple's van was seen speeding and...
Gabby Petito's Parents
Dec 25, 2021 3:00 PM CST
Gabby Petito's Parents Launch Foundation
Nonprofit makes its first donation to organizations that work against domestic violence
- "I don't want to see this happen to another person," said Nichole Schmidt, Gabby Petito's mother, in announcing a new foundation in her daughter's name. The organization will support other groups that try to find missing persons and prevent domestic violence, ABC reports. Petito was...
Cause of Death: Suicide
Nov 23, 2021 1:00 PM CST
Brian Laundrie's Cause of Death: Suicide
Attorney for family says he shot himself
- The attorney for the family of Brian Laundrie said Tuesday that the 23-year-old died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, reports TMZ . Laundrie's remains were discovered in Florida’s Carlton Reserve on Oct. 20, but an initial autopsy was inconclusive, per Today.com . At the time, police had been searching...
Sheriff Says Laundrie
Probably Died by Suicide
Nov 2, 2021 4:48 PM CDT
Sheriff Says Laundrie Probably Died by Suicide
Police chief defends handling of case
- North Port, Florida Police Chief Todd Garrison believes Brian Laundrie was probably dead before his officers started looking for him. Garrison, speaking on a panel with other law enforcement leaders Friday, acknowledged that his officers made a major error while watching the Laundrie home but defended the overall handling of...
Florida Police Say They Made
a Mistake Watching Laundrie
Oct 26, 2021 2:07 PM CDT
Florida Police Say They Made a Mistake Watching Laundrie
North Port officers thought they knew where he was
- When Gabby Petito’s parents reported her missing on Sept. 11, police in North Port, Florida, started watching Brian Laundrie. They had his parents' house under surveillance, and North Port Police Chief Todd Garrison put it like this on Sept. 16, per NBC News : "All I’m going to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.