Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Build Back Better Act
Manchin Sketches Smaller Bill
Mar 2, 2022 6:05 PM CST
Manchin Sketches Smaller Bill
Senate Democrats hesitate, but some want any parts of Biden's original plan they can get
- After listening to President Biden's State of the Union address Tuesday night, Sen. Joe Manchin outlined his own Build Back Better plan. It's much smaller than the president's proposal, but Manchin said his is a version he and other Democrats could back, the Hill reports. Many Senate...
Child Poverty Rate Surges
After Tax Credit Runs Out
Feb 23, 2022 5:49 PM CST
Child Poverty Rate Surges After Tax Credit Runs Out
'All of that progress that we made could now be lost,' analyst says
- The number of children in America living in poverty jumped dramatically after just one month without the expanded child tax credit payments, according to a new study. Advocates fear the lapse in payments could unravel what they say were landmark achievements in poverty reduction, the AP reports. Columbia University's...
Pelosi Has Theory
Feb 13, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Pelosi Has Theory About Midterms
Speaker contradicts Manchin on his Build Back Better argument
- History shows the political party holding the White House nearly always loses congressional seats in midterm elections. But House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Sunday that recent history gives her hope about Democrats' prospects this year,
reports. "One of the reasons that, in part, the president’s party loses...
Joe Manchin Says
$2T Biden Bill Is 'Dead'
Feb 1, 2022 2:22 PM CST
Joe Manchin Says $2T Biden Bill Is 'Dead'
"What Build Back Better bill?" holdout Democrat says
- Sen. Joe Manchin declared Tuesday that President Joe Biden's vast social and environment bill is "dead," using his strongest language to date to underscore that any revival of Democrats' top domestic priorities would have to arise from fresh negotiations. The remarks by the West Virginia Democrat didn'...
Senator Says He Invited
Manchin to Join GOP
Dec 21, 2021 8:28 PM CST
Senator Says He Invited Manchin to Join GOP
Biden still hopes to get Build Back Better done
- After delivering a potentially fatal blow to President Biden's Build Back Better plan, Sen. Joe Manchin is not a popular man with his fellow Democrats—but he's gained some Republican fans. Texas GOP Sen. John Cornyn told KXAN Tuesday that he had sent the West Virginia a text...
Dec 20, 2021 2:02 PM CST
Manchin: White House Did 'Inexcusable' Things
Senator blames Biden staffers for the new rift over spending plan
- Joe Manchin is firing back at the White House after a giant rift opened between them over the weekend . In an interview on West Virginia radio Monday, the Democratic senator spoke in broad terms about his decision to announce he could not support President Biden's Build Back Better plan:...
Dec 20, 2021 3:00 AM CST
Manchin Gave White House 20 Minutes' Notice: Sources
As progressives slam the senator for 'betrayal'
- Sen. Joe Manchin won't vote for President Biden's Build Back Better legislation , and the White House has already let him have it . Now, progressives in the House of Representatives are bashing the West Virginia moderate too, NBC News reports. "Today, Senator Manchin has betrayed his commitment not...
Dec 19, 2021 2:00 PM CST
White House Gives Manchin an Earful
Psaki says senator should 'be true to his word' on Build Back Better
- A few Democrats are saying there's still a chance, but the White House went ahead and let loose on Sen. Joe Manchin on Sunday, Politico reports, after he announced he'll vote against President Biden's climate and social spending bill. If the West Virginia Democrat has broken off...
Manchin Says He Won't
Vote for Build Back Better
Dec 19, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Manchin Says He Won't Vote for Build Back Better
'I just can't,' West Virginia Democrat says, possibly dooming the legislation
- There's no point in Democrats making changes to President Biden's Build Back Better legislation in hopes of winning Sen. Joe Manchin's support. The West Virginia Democrat announced Sunday that he won't vote for the bill, the Hill reports. "I cannot vote to continue with this...
Biden's Spending Bill
Could Be in Big Trouble
Dec 16, 2021 2:54 AM CST
Biden's Spending Bill Could Be in Big Trouble
President, Manchin said to be at standstill
- The $1.75 trillion spending bill passed by the House of Representatives last month faces a very uncertain future in the Senate. Sources tell media outlets including the
, CNN , and the AP that Sen. Joe Manchin continues to be the issue, remaining unconvinced regarding the cost of the...
Biden Bill Would
Nov 28, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Biden Bill Would Boost Local News Outlets
Tax credit would help with the cost of journalists in a struggling industry
- News organizations don't often receive financial help from government. But many of them are beyond struggling now; more than 2,100 newspapers have closed since 2004, Pew Research found. They soon could gain a bit of a safety net of their own. Among the provisions in President Biden's...
Nov 27, 2021 4:40 PM CST
Democrats Prevent Biden's Plan From Working
Divisions have presidency nearing failure, Jonathan Chait writes
- Joe Biden came into office with a plan. The president would concentrate on practical issues to win back the working-class voters who had supported Donald Trump. He'd avoid getting caught up in the causes of the Democrats' progressive wing. Polls provided the evidence that child care, community college, expanding...
AOC: We Shouldn't
Nov 22, 2021 5:29 PM CST
AOC: We Shouldn't 'Over-Promise and 'Under-Deliver'
She warns against infrastructure 'victory laps'
- President Biden has signe d the bipartisan infrastructure bill, and a $1.9 trillion social spending bill has passed the House —but Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez warns that her fellow Democrats should be careful about doing victory laps. The progressive Democrat says the base will be alienated and turnout at...
Kevin McCarthy Speaks for
512 Minutes, Delays Vote
Nov 19, 2021 5:00 AM CST
Kevin McCarthy Speaks for 512 Minutes, Delays Vote
House will vote on Biden's $1.9T bill Friday morning
The House has delayed a vote on President Biden's spending bill until Friday. The move comes after House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy delayed proceedings with what the
New York Times
calls the longest continuous House speech since 1909, clocking in at 8 hours and 32 minutes. "Personally...
House Finally Passes
$1T Infrastructure Bill
Nov 5, 2021 11:52 PM CDT
House Finally Passes $1T Infrastructure Bill
But vote on social spending bill has been delayed
- The House approved a $1 trillion package of road and other infrastructure projects late Friday after Democrats resolved a months-long standoff between progressives and moderates, notching a victory that President Biden and his party had become increasingly anxious to claim. The House passed the measure 228-206, prompting prolonged cheers from...
House Is Finally Ready
to Vote on 2 Massive Bills
Nov 5, 2021 4:44 AM CDT
House Is Finally Ready to Vote on 2 Massive Bills
Votes on social spending, infrastructure bills expected Friday
- Days after a stinging defeat in Virginia, Democrats are trying to move forward quickly with President Biden's agenda. Sources tell the Hill that after a long day of meetings Thursday, House Democrats are planning to vote Friday on a massive social spending bill as well as the infrastructure package...
Popular on Newser
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
It's a 'Huge Milestone' for US Currency
Griner in 'Very Good Spirits,' as Viktor Bout Slams US
Congressman-Elect, 25, Denied DC Apartment
Sword Swallower's Act Goes Very, Very Wrong
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.