Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
rock and roll
Stories 1 - 20 |
'80s Power Ballad
Bands Are Going
On Tour Together
Dec 8, 2023 1:36 PM CST
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
Def Leppard, Journey will be joined next summer by Heart, Cheap Trick, Steve Miller Band
- The '80s seem so far away now—for context, Def Leppard's
, the latter of which featured the song "Faithfully," both came out 40 years ago. If you're ready to relive those power ballad days, there's some good news from...
Founding Member of
Isley Brothers Dead at 84
Oct 13, 2023 5:27 AM CDT
Founding Member of Isley Brothers Dead at 84
Rudolph Isley scored huge hits with 'Shout,' 'Twist and Shout'
- Rudolph Isley, a founding member of the Isley Brothers who helped perform such raw rhythm and blues classics as "Shout" and "Twist and Shout" and the funky hits "That Lady" and "It's Your Thing," has died at age 84, the AP reports. "There...
Rock Hall Nominations
Include 8 First-Timers
Feb 1, 2023 11:05 AM CST
Rock Hall Nominations Include 8 First-Timers
Missy Elliott, Willie Nelson, and George Michael are among the 14 to be nominated
- Missy Elliott, Willie Nelson, Kate Bush, Iron Maiden, Cyndi Lauper, Soundgarden, Sheryl Crow, and the late George Michael are the 2023 nominees for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, reflecting a mix of country, soul, hip-hop, metal, pop, rap-rock, and grunge. The Cleveland-based institution announced Wednesday the...
Jan 16, 2023 4:24 PM CST
Robbie Bachman of Bachman-Turner Overdrive Dies
Band was popular in the 1970s with hits like 'Takin' Care of Business'
- Robbie Bachman, the drummer for the Canadian hard rock band Bachman-Turner Overdrive that was known for such 1970s hits as “Takin' Care of Business" and “You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet," has died at age 69. His death was announced on social media Thursday by his brother...
Dylan Kicks Off
Tributes to an Original
Oct 30, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Dylan Kicks Off Tributes to an Original
Musicians say Jerry Lee Lewis left his mark
- "Jerry Lee will live forever—we all know that," Bob Dylan told an English audience during his concert Friday night. He then performed a Don Robertson song the Killer recorded in 1970, per Yahoo Entertainment , "I Can't Seem to Say Goodbye." Other musicians and celebrities...
Jerry Lee Lewis Is Dead
Oct 28, 2022 12:10 PM CDT
Rock Pioneer Jerry Lee Lewis Is Dead
'Great Balls of Fire' singer was 87
- Jerry Lee Lewis, the untamable rock and roll pioneer whose outrageous talent, energy, and ego collided on such definitive records as “Great Balls of Fire” and “Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" and sustained a career otherwise upended by personal scandal, died Friday morning at 87. The last survivor...
'The Killers' Stop Show
to Check on Crowd Surfer
Jun 14, 2022 2:17 PM CDT
'The Killers' Stop Show to Check on Crowd Surfer
The 67-year-old Killers fan was bruised but otherwise fine
- The Killers, an American rock band out of Vegas, hit the brakes on a show in Manchester, England, on Saturday night when frontman Brandon Flowers noticed a fallen crowd surfer. Per Loudwire, video shows Flowers asking the crowd, "Who dropped him?" Laughter can be heard, but then Flowers noticed...
May 8, 2021 6:26 PM CDT
Singer Was a Pioneer Offstage, as Well
Lloyd Price might have had the first rock hit
- Singer-songwriter Lloyd Price, an early rock 'n' roll star and enduring maverick whose hits included such up-tempo favorites as "Lawdy Miss Clawdy," "Personality," and the semi-forbidden "Stagger Lee," has died. He was 88. Price died Monday in New Rochelle, New York, of complications...
Nickelback Just Figured Out
a Way to Unite All the 'Haters'
Aug 17, 2020 11:55 AM CDT
Nickelback Just Figured Out a Way to Unite All the 'Haters'
Canadian band's take on Charlie Daniels' 'Devil Went Down to Georgia' isn't going over well
- If you worried that Charlie Daniels would disappear from our thoughts soon after his death last month at the age of 83, Nickelback has swooped in to keep his memory alive. The Canadian rockers have done so by putting out a cover of Daniels' most famous song, "The Devil...
RIP, Little Richard
—'a Genius, Pure
May 9, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
RIP, Little Richard —'a Genius, Pure and Simple'
Mick Jagger, Quincy Jones are among those reacting to Little Richard's death
- Reactions are rolling in to the death of rock 'n' roll pioneer Little Richard, who died Saturday at 87, the AP reports. Among them:
of Rock 'n' Roll' Is Dead at 87
May 9, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Self-Proclaimed 'Architect of Rock 'n' Roll' Is Dead at 87
Little Richard is gone
- Little Richard, the self-proclaimed "architect of rock 'n' roll" whose piercing wail, pounding piano and towering pompadour irrevocably altered popular music while introducing black R&B to white America, has died Saturday. He was 87. Pastor Bill Minson, a close friend of Little Richard's, told the AP...
Dies at 81
Mar 18, 2019 2:01 AM CDT
King of Surf Guitar Dies at 81
Dick Dale pioneered sound in the '50s
- Dick Dale, whose pounding, blaringly loud power-chord instrumentals on songs like "Miserlou " and "Let's Go Trippin' " earned him the title King of the Surf Guitar, has died at age 81. His former bassist Sam Bolle says Dale passed away Saturday night. No other details were...
One of the Most Recorded
Musicians in History Is Dead
Mar 12, 2019 6:46 AM CDT
One of the Most Recorded Musicians in History Is Dead
Session drummer Hal Blaine played on scores of '60s, '70s hits
- You may not have heard the name Hal Blaine, but if you've heard music from the '60s and '70s, you've heard him play. Blaine, an extremely prolific session drummer who became one of the most recorded musicians of all time, has died at the age of...
'We Can Stop Holding
Our Breath' on Rock Hall
Dec 13, 2018 9:50 AM CST
'We Can Stop Holding Our Breath' on Rock Hall
Def Leppard, Stevie Nicks, Janet Jackson to be inducted
- Congratulations to Stevie Nicks. The rocker was announced Thursday as a 2019 inductee into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame following her first appearance as an individual nominee. She'll become the only woman to be entered twice, following Fleetwood Mac's 1998 induction. "I have been in...
Malcolm Young of AC/DC
Dies After Dementia Battle
Nov 18, 2017 8:45 AM CST
Malcolm Young of AC/DC Dies After Dementia Battle
Band co-founder/guitarist was 64
- "Malcolm, job well done." So ends a Facebook post from Australian rock behemoth AC/DC announcing the death of band co-founder/guitarist Malcolm Young. He was 64 and reportedly died with his family at his bedside.
reports Young's three-year battle with dementia had led him to step...
RIP to a Rock Legend:
Fats Domino Is Dead
Oct 25, 2017 9:58 AM CDT
RIP to a Rock Legend: Fats Domino Is Dead
'Blueberry Hill' singer was 89
- Rock 'n' roll legend Fats Domino is dead at age 89, reports WWL-TV of New Orleans. His daughter confirmed the news to the station. No cause of death was immediately released, but the singer—born Antoine Domino Jr. in New Orleans, per
—was surrounded by family and...
Rock Out Like It's 1977
May 16, 2017 6:29 PM CDT
This Summer, Rock Out Like It's 1977
What's 40 years old is not new but still touring, and fans still flock to old favorites
- It's more than a feeling: Many of the rock 'n' roll bands that were huge in 1977 will comprise a big part of the summer concert market 40 years later. Queen, Foreigner, Boston, Aerosmith, Kiss, Alice Cooper, Billy Joel, and Rod Stewart are among those launching major tours...
Drum Stunt Goes
Wrong at Final
Mötley Crüe Gig
Jan 2, 2016 9:51 AM CST
Drum Stunt Goes Wrong at Final Mötley Crüe Gig
Tommy Lee was stuck upside down on 'Crüecifly'
- Mötley Crüe played what they promised would be their last-ever concert on New Year's Eve at the Staples Center in Los Angeles—and Billboard reports that they not only rocked the house, they had a mishap sure to go down in heavy metal history. Drummer Tommy Lee...
NTSB Could Revisit
'Day the Music Died'
Mar 4, 2015 9:16 AM CST
NTSB Could Revisit 'Day the Music Died'
Officials intrigued by man's findings in crash that killed Buddy Holly
- Fifty-six years ago, three of early rock's brightest stars died in a plane crash that was blamed on pilot error and a bad weather report; there's also been a rumor that a gun was found among the wreckage near Iowa's Clear Lake. Now, thanks to a New...
Cream Bass Player
Jack Bruce Dead at 71
Oct 25, 2014 1:33 PM CDT
Cream Bass Player Jack Bruce Dead at 71
Wrote big hits for 1960s band featuring Eric Clapton
- Jack Bruce, bass player, singer, and songwriter for the 1960s rock trio Cream, has died at 71 of liver disease. The British band, which also featured Eric Clapton and drummer Ginger Baker, sold 35 million albums in just two years, breaking up despite their popularity in 1968. The band was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.