Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pulls a 180 on
Killer Robots Plan
Dec 7, 2022 2:30 AM CST
San Francisco Pulls a 180 on Killer Robots Plan
Police had said robots would be deployed only to 'save or prevent further loss of innocent lives'
- San Francisco supervisors voted Tuesday to put the brakes on a controversial policy that would let police use robots for deadly force, the AP reports. The Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to explicitly ban the use of robots in such fashion for now. But they sent the issue back to...
This Chatbot Wows Users,
but There Are Concerns
Dec 6, 2022 1:45 PM CST
This Chatbot Wows Users, but There Are Concerns
1 million users have signed up with OpenAI's ChatGPT since Wednesday
- Need to write a history essay? Or need instructions on how to remove a peanut butter sandwich from a VCR written in the style of the King James Bible? It's now made easy thanks to OpenAI's ChatGPT , an AI-powered chatbot that's taking the internet by storm. It'...
San Francisco Debates
Use of Killer Robots
Nov 25, 2022 12:45 PM CST
San Francisco Debates Use of Killer Robots
Police want to keep the option open
- San Francisco has long been known as one of America's most liberal cities—but that doesn't mean its police force is opposed to using killer robots. The San Francisco Police Department has proposed authorizing robots to use deadly force in certain situations, the Verge reports. According to a...
Chess Robot Breaks Finger
of 7-Year-Old Opponent
Jul 25, 2022 7:23 AM CDT
Chess Robot Breaks Finger of 7-Year-Old Opponent
'This is, of course, bad,' says head of Moscow Chess Federation
- It might be a first in the annals of chess: After one player makes a move his opponent doesn't like, the opponent breaks his finger. As the
reports, it actually happened last week at the Moscow Open, under unusual circumstances: One player was a robot, the other a...
New Hire Talks,
and Works for Free
Mar 4, 2022 1:25 PM CST
Restaurant's New Hire Talks, Plays Music, and Works for Free
Faced with worker shortage, Tin Lizzie's in Deadwood, SD, recruited a robot server
- At the Tin Lizzie Gaming Resort in Deadwood, SD, a labor shortage left management scrambling to figure out a way to alleviate current workers' stresses. "We thought outside the box," Assistant General Manager Josh Thurmes tells Local 12 in introducing the casino eatery's newest staffer: a robot...
Is Mark Zuckerberg a Robot?
Traffic Lights Reveal the Truth
Mar 3, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Is Mark Zuckerberg a Robot? Traffic Lights Reveal the Truth
Podcaster asks Zuckerberg to prove he's not 'Zuckerborg'
- Mark Zuckerberg has long known that he comes across as, well ... not quite human, acknowledging in a 2019 interview that "historically, I've had a very hard time expressing myself. ... I just come across as robotic." One computer scientist and AI researcher recently decided to carry out a...
Reach Triple A
Jan 20, 2022 7:30 PM CST
Robot Umpires Reach Triple A
MLB is hiring humans to help run the technology
- Robo-umps are making the jump to Triple A, a phone call away from the majors, and baseball needs somebody to assist them. MLB has posted an ad on its site looking for ABS techs, Axios reports. The employee will "physically support the plate umpire including his device, its functionality,...
Blown Call Makes
Case for Robot
Oct 16, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Blown Call Makes Case for Robot Umpires
Technology has stepped in after human error before, David Von Drehle writes
- After the Dodgers-Giants playoff game Thursday night, Gabe Morales was able to watch replays of his call that ended San Francisco's season. The umpire had ruled that the Giants' Wilmer Flores had gone around while trying to check his swing. That was the third strike, the last out of...
Aug 20, 2021 11:04 AM CDT
Elon Musk's Humanoid Bots Are Headed Our Way
Prototype for the 'Tesla Bot' is due out 'sometime next year,' says CEO
- Will Elon Musk soon have his own
-style theme park ? Things probably won't get that far, but you can't blame the thought from arising after an announcement this week from the Tesla CEO. That reveal, made at Thursday's AI Day in California, per CNBC : The company...
to Help Search
Jun 30, 2021 6:05 PM CDT
Robots Arrive to Help Search for Survivors
But if the throwable machines become stuck, they can hinder rescue crews
- Crews now have small robots they can enlist in the search of the rubble at the Florida condominium collapse, but the decision to use them isn't as clear-cut as it might sound. The Teledyne Flir machines are small—one the size of a brick, the other the size of...
Couple Hears 'Prowler,' Calls
911, Ends Up Embarrassed
Dec 26, 2019 1:32 PM CST
Couple Hears 'Prowler,' Calls 911, Ends Up Embarrassed
It was their new robotic vacuum
- A North Carolina couple called 911 on their own vacuum. As WGHP-TV explains, the couple in Forsyth County was awakened on Christmas night by what they thought was a prowler downstairs. As it turns out, their new robot vacuum had somehow started up, then proceeded to get stuck and start...
Got a 'Kind and Friendly Face'?
It Could Make You $127K
Oct 16, 2019 1:44 PM CDT
Got a 'Kind and Friendly Face'? It Could Make You $127K
You just need to sell the rights to it in perpetuity, no big deal
- If you are in need of money and happen to possess a "kind and friendly face," one company has a proposition for you. Geomiq, a London-based engineering startup, is helping its client, an unnamed robot company, to develop a "virtual friend" for elderly people. That's where...
Robot Dog May Have
a Future in the Circus
Sep 27, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Robot Dog May Have a Future in the Circus
Cirque de Soliel is in talks with Boston Dynamics
- Animal-like robots that started out as a military-funded research project might be shipped off to the circus instead of the battlefield. Cirque du Soleil says it's in talks with robot maker Boston Dynamics about using the four-legged Spot robot in its live shows, the AP reports. The agile robots...
After Getting 'Stuck in Traffic,'
ISS Now Has a New 'Bot
Aug 27, 2019 3:36 AM CDT
After Getting 'Stuck in Traffic,' ISS Now Has a New 'Bot
Russian humanoid robot Fedor is 'ready to work now' after a week's delay
- A Russian space capsule carrying a humanoid robot has successfully docked at the International Space Station after a failed attempt last week. Russian space agency Roscosmos said on Tuesday that the capsule carrying the robot and other cargo docked at the orbiting lab early morning Moscow time. The robot, called...
Family Shocked to Get
Grim News by 'Robot' Video
Mar 9, 2019 4:45 PM CST
Family Shocked to Get Grim News by 'Robot' Video
They were devastated by how the hospital handled it
- Ernest Quintana's family knew he was dying of chronic lung disease when he was taken by ambulance to a hospital, unable to breathe. But they were devastated when a robot machine rolled into his room in the intensive care unit that night and a doctor told the 78-year-old patient...
Your Amazon Order
May Soon Arrive in This
Jan 24, 2019 1:11 PM CST
Your Amazon Order May Soon Arrive in This
Six 'cooler-sized' Scout vehicles undergoing test in Washington state
- With drone delivery still a ways off , enter Amazon's self-driving delivery robot. Amazon Scout is a "cooler-sized" electric vehicle on six wheels, intended to deliver Amazon packages along a delivery route, reports the
. A promotional video shows Scout cruising down a sidewalk, stopping in front of...
Plan Runs Into
Sep 30, 2018 12:50 PM CDT
'Robot Brothel' Plan Runs Into Trouble
Houston stops the business from opening, at least for now
- Houston city officials have ordered a halt, at least temporarily, to a Canadian company's plan to open a so-called "robot brothel" in the city, the AP reports. The
reports building inspectors ordered the halt after determining KinkySDollS lacked the permits required for demolition and construction. The...
Robot Sex Is Coming to This US
City. The Mayor's Not Happy
Sep 28, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
Robot Sex Is Coming to This US City. The Mayor's Not Happy
Sex-doll brothel out of Canada is headed to Houston
- "Sex Robot Battle" sounds like the name of a B-movie one might stumble on during late-night channel-surfing, but that's actually how KTRK depicts a war brewing between the mayor of a Texas city and the owner of a "sexbot business" out of Canada. The owner of KinkySDollS,...
'Regrettable' AI Move Spurs
Boycott Against University
Apr 5, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
'Regrettable' AI Move Spurs Boycott Against University
Academics aren't happy S. Korea's KAIST is involved in project that could produce 'killer robots'
- Dozens of AI and robotics scientists want to prevent "an arms race that no one wants to happen": so-called "killer robots" that could emerge from a recently announced venture between a South Korean university and a weapons manufacturer. Per the
, the teaming up of the Korea Advanced...
Chain Has New Employee—
a Burger-Flipping Robot
Mar 6, 2018 5:04 PM CST
Chain Has New Employee— a Burger-Flipping Robot
- Welcome to 2018: Robots are cooking hamburgers now. Fast-food chain CaliBurger is using a robot called Flippy at its Pasadena, Calif., location, KTLA reports. A human employee loads up the grill with raw burger patties, and Flippy uses thermal imaging, 3D and camera vision to detect the temperature and size...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Screenshots Live Forever, as Santos Is Now Finding Out
Someone Is Hiding Razor Blades in Gas Pump Handles
Jay Leno Cannot Catch a Break
Is It 'the Largest Con in Corporate History'?
Fed-Up Rod Stewart Offers to Pay for People's Hospital Scans
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.