Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
One Trump, One Obama Take
Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Dec 29, 2020 11:23 AM CST
One Trump, One Obama Take Home 'Most Admired' Crowns
Donald Trump ends Barack Obama's 12-year winning streak, while Michelle Obama wins top spot for women
- Donald Trump didn't beat Joe Biden in the election, but he can notch a win against Barack Obama. In its annual survey on the matter, Gallup pollsters asked 1,000 or so American adults to name, without being given choices, a man and a woman they most admire anywhere...
Dalai Lama Marks 85th
Birthday in a Big Way
Jul 6, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Dalai Lama Marks 85th Birthday in a Big Way
Spiritual leader's first album, 'Inner World,' drops to help us 'transcend our differences'
- If you've been anxiously waiting for the Dalai Lama's first album to drop, your wait is over (and the album can help you with some of that residual anxiety).
debuts Monday, on the occasion of the Buddhist spiritual leader's 85th birthday, leaving him on track...
Dalai Lama to
Drop First Album
Jun 10, 2020 12:07 AM CDT
Dalai Lama to Drop First Album
'Inner World' pairs his teachings with music
- Stressed out while working at a bank in New Zealand, Junelle Kunin began searching for music paired with teachings from the Dalai Lama to calm herself down and allow herself to focus. But she couldn't find it online, per the AP . That's when the musician and practicing Buddhist...
China Speaks of Boy Chosen by
Dalai Lama Who Then Vanished
May 20, 2020 2:38 PM CDT
China Speaks of Boy Chosen by Dalai Lama Who Then Vanished
Beijing claims Gedhun Choekyi Nyima wants to be left alone
- China says a boy who disappeared 25 years ago after being picked by the Dalai Lama as Tibetan Buddhism’s second-highest figure is now a college graduate with a stable job. Very little information has been given about Gedhun Choekyi Nyima or his family since he went missing at age...
10 Most Admired
Men, Women in World
Jul 19, 2019 12:57 PM CDT
10 Most Admired Men, Women in World
Michelle Obama and Bill Gates lead their respective lists
- Michelle Obama is not only the most admired woman in America , but also in the world, according to new poll. Market research firm YouGov asked 42,000 people in 41 countries to name the men and women they most look up to, and Obama's name came up a lot,...
Dalai Lama's 'Attractive' Mess
All Started With a
Jul 2, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
Dalai Lama's 'Attractive' Mess All Started With a
So explains his website in an apology statement
- The fuss all began with
magazine in the year 1992, at least according to a statement posted on the Dalai Lama's website Tuesday. It offers up the Dalai Lama's "sincere apologies" to anyone who was offended by his recent remarks to a BBC interviewer , in which...
If a Woman Succeeds Him,
Dalai Lama Wants Outer Beauty
Jun 30, 2019 8:55 AM CDT
If a Woman Succeeds Him, Dalai Lama Wants Outer Beauty
'Appearance is important,' spiritual leader says
- The Dalai Lama isn't against a woman successor, but thinks she should be physically attractive. "If a female Dalai Lama comes, she should be more attractive," the Dalai Lama tells the BBC . Otherwise, he said, "People, I think prefer, not see her, that face." The...
Passes Torch to
Another as 'Most
Dec 27, 2018 12:00 PM CST
Ex-First Lady Passes Torch to Another as 'Most Admired Woman'
Michelle Obama takes crown from Hillary Clinton, winner since 2002; Barack Obama is men's victor
- Hillary Clinton has been named the most admired woman in Gallup's annual survey more than any other since Gallup started asking in 1946: 22 times, to be exact, including for each year since 2002. This year, however, another former first lady has finally knocked Clinton off the hill. Michelle...
Dalai Lama Says
to the Europeans'
Sep 13, 2018 5:45 PM CDT
Dalai Lama Says 'Europe Belongs to the Europeans'
Europe should welcome refugees, but ultimately migrants should return home, he says
- Addressing a conference in Malmö, Sweden, home of many immigrants, the Dalai Lama said Europe was "morally responsible" for helping refugees who are in danger—but that ultimately those refugees should return to their homelands. "Receive them, help them, educate them ... but ultimately they should develop their own...
Mercedes' Instagram Post
Causes Chinese Headache
Feb 8, 2018 12:15 PM CST
Mercedes' Instagram Post Causes Chinese Headache
Dalai Lama's words aren't #MondayMotivation for the Chinese
- "Look at situations from all angles, and you will become more open." These words are hardly controversial, but in China, the figure who spoke them is. It's for that reason that Mercedes-Benz and its parent company have each apologized after the German automaker included the quote from...
Tibetans Call for Return
of Panchen Lama, Now 28
Apr 30, 2017 4:03 PM CDT
Tibetans Call for Return of Panchen Lama, Now 28
Little is known of Tibet's second-ranked monk 22 years after his detention
- This week marked the 28th birthday of Tibet’s Panchen Lama, reinvigorating calls for his release from detention by the Chinese government. Radio Free Asia reports that at just 6 years old, Gedhun Choekyi Nyima and his family were detained when the exiled Dalai Lama named him the 11th reincarnation...
Dalai Lama Has 'No Worries'
About Trump Election
Nov 23, 2016 3:18 AM CST
Dalai Lama Has 'No Worries' About Trump Election
Buddhist leader is looking forward to meeting him
- Exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama said Wednesday he has "no worries" about Donald Trump's election as US president, adding that he expects the businessman will align his future policies with global realities. Commenting at the conclusion of a four-day visit to Mongolia, the leader of Tibetan...
Gaga Just Got
Banned in China
Jun 28, 2016 10:05 AM CDT
Gaga Just Got Banned in China
She interviewed the Dalai Lama on Sunday
- You won't be hearing, or likely seeing, Lady Gaga in China anytime soon. After the singer met with the Dalai Lama on Sunday to talk meditation and mental health, the Communist Party's propaganda department ordered her songs banned in China, while state-controlled media were ordered to condemn the...
Dalai Lama Cancels US Visit
Sep 26, 2015 5:37 AM CDT
Dalai Lama Cancels US Visit
American doctors have told him he needs to rest
- The Dalai Lama canceled his US appearances for the month of October after doctors at Minnesota's Mayo Clinic advised him to rest, his office says. The 80-year-old Tibetan Buddhist leader was at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester this week for what was described as a routine check-up. "The...
Driving Planners Nuts
Jul 3, 2015 8:51 AM CDT
Dalai Lama's Birthday Bash Driving Planners Nuts
What gifts and what kind of cake to make for spiritual leader are tough calls
- He's the man who has (and wants) nothing, which is putting birthday planners in a peculiar predicament. The Dalai Lama turns 80 on Monday, and per the
Wall Street Journal
, it's been a task and a half to prepare for an address he's giving to about 15,...
Tibet to China:
Give Us Back the
Boy Monk You Stole
May 18, 2015 1:32 PM CDT
Tibet to China: Give Us Back the Boy Monk You Stole
2nd-highest Buddhist spiritual leader disappeared 20 years ago at age 6
- Twenty years ago this week, a 6-year-old Tibetan boy was cornered by Chinese authorities, then apparently fell off the face of the Earth. He wasn't just any grade-schooler, though: Gedhun Choekyi Nyima had just been declared the 11
Panchen Lama (second only to the Dalai Lama in the Buddhist...
Mar 9, 2015 8:50 AM CDT
China Slams Dalai Lama's Views on Reincarnation
Official disputes spiritual leader's suggestion he might not be reincarnated
- The Dalai Lama has said he could be the last of his kind , and China's governor of Tibet doesn't take kindly to the suggestion, Reuters reports. "I think that, in fact, he is profaning religion and Tibetan Buddhism," Padma Choling says. According to Tibetan Buddhism, the...
I Could Be
the Last One
Dec 17, 2014 7:38 AM CST
Dalai Lama: I Could Be the Last One
Better to avoid the risk of a 'stupid' successor, he says
- The current Dalai Lama says he could be the last, and it could be for the best. "The Dalai Lama institution will cease one day. These man-made institutions will cease," he told the BBC in an interview. "There is no guarantee that some stupid Dalai Lama won'...
Dalai Lama to Buddhists:
Stop Killing Muslims
Jul 8, 2014 3:16 AM CDT
Dalai Lama to Buddhists: Stop Killing Muslims
He calls for end to violence in Burma, Sri Lanka
- If monks going on the rampage against Muslims doesn't sound very Buddhist to you, then the Dalai Lama is in agreement. At a celebration high in the Himalayas to mark his 79th birthday, the religious leader spoke out against attacks on the Muslim minorities in Burma and Sri Lanka,...
Dalai Lama: Medical Pot OK, But Not for 'Crazy Mind'
Oct 16, 2013 7:33 AM CDT
Dalai Lama: Medical Pot OK, But Not for 'Crazy Mind'
Lest recreational potheads get any ideas
- The Dalai Lama still endorses meditation as the way to reach enlightenment, but has endorsed a particular herbal medication as a way to cure what ails you. Asked about his stance on marijuana while in Mexico, the Tibetan spiritual leader said smoking pot for medical reasons was OK. "But...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
DeSantis: Wish I'd Been 'Much Louder' Against Trump's COVID Move
University President Fired For 'Inappropriate Relationship'
Maxwell Agrees to Revealing Identities of Men in Lawsuit
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.