Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Clash Over Remarks on Israel
Aug 29, 2023 8:57 AM CDT
Hannity, Ramaswamy Clash Over Remarks on Israel
Fox News host pushes GOP presidential candidate in 'confrontational' interview
- Vivek Ramaswamy is getting into it with everyone these days. Last week, he got combative with CNN's Kaitlan Collins over his comments on Taiwan and 9/11. Then the GOP presidential candidate received a cease-and-desist letter from Eminem's team demanding he stop using the rapper's songs on the...
Kissinger's 100th Marked With
Tributes, New Accusations
May 27, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Kissinger's 100th Marked With Tributes, New Accusations
Ex-secretary of state's sway over foreign policy isn't questioned, but calls of 'war criminal' still haunt him
- Former diplomat and presidential adviser Henry Kissinger marks his 100th birthday on Saturday, outlasting many of his political contemporaries who guided the United States through one of its most tumultuous periods, including during the Vietnam War and his eight years as national security adviser and secretary of state under Richard...
Stakes Are Huge as US
Oct 13, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Stakes Are Huge as US Battles Russia
Thomas Friedman raises concerns about these 'uncharted waters'
- The US is currently in conflict with Russia, and the confrontation is an obvious one playing out on the battlefields of Ukraine with American weapons. But Thomas Friedman writes in the
New York Times
that the US is simultaneously in a less obvious conflict with China—though the stakes are...
Listened to Mitt
Feb 23, 2022 9:50 AM CST
Growing Consensus on Russia: Should've Listened to Mitt
A look back at Romney's 2012 remarks on Russia being 'without question, our No. 1 geopolitical foe'
- As the world waits anxiously for his next move on Ukraine, Vladimir Putin continues to make demands over the crisis, exacerbated this week by his ordering of Russian troops into eastern Ukraine. Now, comments made about Russia a decade ago by Sen. Mitt Romney, then a presidential contender against incumbent...
Kamala Harris Has a Warning
for China Over 'Intimidation'
Aug 24, 2021 7:28 AM CDT
Kamala Harris Has a Warning for China Over 'Intimidation'
Vice president delivered rebuke from Singapore on Tuesday on nation's actions in South China Sea
- Vice President Kamala Harris delivered a sharp rebuke to China for its incursions in the South China Sea, warning its actions there amount to "coercion" and "intimidation" and affirming that the US will support its allies in the region against Beijing's advances. "We know that Beijing...
Biden Makes Big Break
From Trump on Foreign Policy
Feb 5, 2021 7:09 AM CST
Biden Makes Big Break From Trump on Foreign Policy
'This war must end,' he says of Yemen conflict
- President Biden, declaring that "America is back," delivered his first diplomatic address as president Thursday. He outlined several policies that reverse those of the Trump administration, and one that also breaks with an Obama administration policy that he helped shape, the
New York Times
reports. Biden, calling Saudi...
In Big Speech, Biden Shares
Slew of Foreign Policy Shifts
Feb 5, 2021 1:30 AM CST
In Big Speech, Biden Shares Slew of Foreign Policy Shifts
President gives his first diplomatic address
- In his first diplomatic address since becoming president, Joe Biden on Thursday declared that "America is back" on the global stage, Reuters reports. "American leadership must meet this new moment of advancing authoritarianism, including the growing ambitions of China to rival the United States and the determination of...
Only 150 Troops Involved,
but Stakes Are Much Bigger
Oct 7, 2019 10:55 AM CDT
Only 150 Troops Involved, but Stakes Are Much Bigger
Trump defends a Syrian withdrawal, while critics warn of the dangers
- The US isn't withdrawing all of its troops from Syria, but it is withdrawing the 150 or so soldiers stationed at two posts near the Syrian border with Turkey. However, the small numbers involved belie the major foreign policy implications at stake. The move will allow Turkey to stage...
Dick Cheney, Mike Pence Clash
Mar 12, 2019 6:51 AM CDT
Dick Cheney, Mike Pence Clash
Former VP says current administration 'looks more like Obama than Reagan'
- Mike Pence was interviewed by predecessor Dick Cheney at a closed-door retreat over the weekend, and the former vice president did not pull his punches, according to the
, which has obtained a transcript of the "off-the-record" talk. The Bush administration veteran hit Pence with questions about Trump'...
On Bolton's First Day, a Huge
Foreign Policy Decision Awaits
Apr 9, 2018 10:04 AM CDT
On Bolton's First Day, a Huge Foreign Policy Decision Awaits
New national security adviser will have to help president shape response to Syria
- Monday is the first official day on the job for John Bolton, President Trump's "hawkish" new national security adviser. Bolton takes over for HR McMaster just as the Trump administration is facing one of its biggest foreign policy decisions yet—how to respond to an apparent chemical attack...
Newt: Media Missed Trump's
'Titanic' Foreign Policy Shift
May 25, 2017 8:33 AM CDT
Newt: Media Missed Trump's 'Titanic' Foreign Policy Shift
Former speaker says Trump's speech in Saudi Arabia was unlike any before it
- The media must have been otherwise occupied when President Trump gave a "historic speech" in Saudi Arabia this week, because they missed what Newt Gingrich writes in the
was the "real drama of the moment: a titanic shift in US foreign policy occurring right before their...
Trump Said, 'Let's Bring
Her Home.' Now She's Home
Apr 21, 2017 2:08 AM CDT
Trump Said, 'Let's Bring Her Home.' Now She's Home
Egyptian-American Aya Hijazi had been detained in Egypt for almost 3 years
- In what appears to be a major foreign-policy victory for President Trump, a freed Egyptian-American charity worker is back in the US after the president personally intervened in the case, officials say. Aya Hijazi, a 30-year-old US citizen who'd been detained in Egypt for nearly three years, flew from...
Flynn's Talks With Russia
May Have Broken the Law
Feb 10, 2017 7:15 AM CST
Flynn's Talks With Russia May Have Broken the Law
National security adviser allegedly discussed sanctions before inauguration
- President Trump's national security adviser may be in hot water over his talks with the Russian ambassador before Trump took office. The upshot of stories in the
New York Times
is the same: They say Michael Flynn discussed sanctions with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, despite...
in Israel Policy
Feb 3, 2017 6:28 AM CST
Trump Makes Surprise Shift in Israel Policy
He warns that new settlements could undermine peace
- President Trump made a foreign policy move Thursday almost as surprising as alienating Australians : He appeared to shift policy on Israel, taking a line closer to that of the Obama administration and warning the country that announcing new or expanded settlements is "undermining" peace efforts, the
Go Out With
Jan 18, 2017 8:21 AM CST
Biden, Power Go Out With Guns Blazing at Russia
Both describe Russia as major threat in final speeches
- Donald Trump's plan to cozy up to Russia is "backwards" and all politicians should stand against it, says the current US ambassador to the UN. In her last major speech on the job Tuesday, Samantha Power urged politicians to prevent the Kremlin from "tearing down" a "...
Israel: We've Got Proof
Obama Set Up UN Resolution
Dec 27, 2016 11:21 AM CST
Israel: We've Got Proof Obama Set Up UN Resolution
Says it's ready to hand 'evidence' right over to President-elect Trump
- Israel has been voicing its displeasure about the United States' abstention from a UN Security Council vote Friday that called for an end to illegal Israeli settlements. So has Donald Trump, who's vowed "things will be different after Jan. 20th." Now Israel is offering the president-elect what...
The World Reacts
to Trump's Victory
Nov 9, 2016 8:29 AM CST
The World Reacts to Trump's Victory
'This is like watching the Titanic sink'
- Reactions to the biggest political upset in recent memory are pouring in from around the globe, and if any world leaders are shaking in their boots, they aren't showing it. A look around:
: "I'm in shock, my stomach aches, I can't believe it. This is
One Grossly Overlooked Fact:
US Is Now Fighting 5 Wars
Oct 25, 2016 1:48 PM CDT
One Grossly Overlooked Fact: US Is Now Fighting 5 Wars
Silence is deafening, complains op-ed
- Even though it's an election year, one vital issue has been all but ignored: "The United States is waging war in at least five countries simultaneously: Iraq, Syria, Yemen, Libya, and Somalia," writes Damon Linker at the Week . Blame for the silence goes all around. Republicans want...
Trump's Foreign Policy Speech
a 'Blathering Jumble'
Aug 16, 2016 6:23 AM CDT
Trump's Foreign Policy Speech a 'Blathering Jumble'
Analysts confused, alarmed by proposals
- Donald Trump delivered what one analyst calls a "surprisingly serious" speech on foreign policy and counterterrorism Monday—but serious may not equal coherent. Many analysts were taken aback by the mix of proposals in the speech, which included policies favored by the Obama and George W. Bush administrations, along...
Jun 23, 2016 9:46 AM CDT
GOP Stalwart Says He'll Back Hillary
Brent Scowcroft was national security adviser for Ford, George HW, served 3 other GOP presidents
- When you hear the name "Brent Scowcroft," certain things may come to mind, including "retired lieutenant general " and "heavyweight foreign policy adviser" to several GOP presidents, CNN notes. He served as national security adviser to Presidents Ford and George HW Bush, as well as in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.