Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Author Whose Novel Became
1994 Blockbuster Film Has Died
Sep 18, 2020 3:42 AM CDT
Author Whose Novel Became 1994 Blockbuster Film Has Died
'Forrest Gump' author Winston Groom was 77
- Winston Groom, the writer whose novel
was made into a six-Oscar winning 1994 movie that became a soaring pop cultural phenomenon, has died at age 77. Fairhope Mayor Karin Wilson said in a message on social media that Groom had died in the south Alabama town, the AP...
Nabs 7-Figure Deal
Sep 3, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
21-Year-Old Author Nabs 7-Figure Deal
Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé to release 2 young adult books, one with Black protagonists
- A 21-year-old author has agreed to a seven-figure deal for a pair of young adult novels, per the AP . Feiwel and Friends, an imprint of Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, announced Thursday that it would publish Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé's highly anticipated debut, the...
She Did for Adults What
Spock Did for Babies
Aug 25, 2020 12:23 PM CDT
She Did for Adults What Spock Did for Babies
Gail Sheehy, author of 'Passages,' is dead at 83
- Gail Sheehy, the journalist, commentator, and pop sociologist whose best-selling
helped millions navigate their lives from early adulthood to middle age and beyond, has died at age 83, per the AP . Sheehy, widow of
magazine founder Clay Felker, died Monday of complications from pneumonia in Southampton, New...
Jul 16, 2020 8:20 AM CDT
Magic School Bus
Joanna Cole was 75
- Sad news for fans of Ms. Frizzle: Joanna Cole, creator of the
Magic School Bus
series, has died. Publisher Scholastic says the 75-year-old died Sunday from idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, the AP reports. Cole, a former school librarian and magazine editor who grew up in New Jersey, started writing children's...
She Cut Her
Chops on This
Jun 25, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
, She Cut Her Chops on This
Unfinished early work by Louisa May Alcott is published in Strand Magazine
- The current issue of
(subscription) will give readers the chance to discover an obscure and unfinished Louisa May Alcott work of fiction—and to provide a conclusion themselves. Alcott's
Aunt Nellie's Diary
has rarely been seen since she drafted what may have been a novel or...
Idea for Kids
May 26, 2020 10:23 AM CDT
JK Rowling's Idea for Kids in Lockdown Starts Today
She'll be releasing 'The Ickabog,' a 'political fairy tale,' in 34 free installments ahead of print edition
- JK Rowling is set to release her first children's book unrelated to the
series—and this time it's free.
, a fairy tale "about truth and the abuse of power" in an imaginary land, written "in fits and starts" between the
JK Rowling to
'Tell Me the
May 22, 2020 1:45 PM CDT
Fan Asks JK Rowling to 'Tell Me the Truth.' So She Did
Author reveals 'true birthplace' of her 'Harry Potter' books: a London apartment
- On Thursday, a
fan implored JK Rowling on Twitter to "tell me the truth"—and she did, with a reveal that may have surprised many readers. CNN notes that the initial tweet included a picture of the Elephant House, a coffeehouse in Edinburgh, Scotland, which has...
May 19, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Author: Flying Halfway Around the World Was 'Stupid'
Neil Gaiman says travel advisories had him 'panicked'
- Neil Gaiman has apologized for his "stupid" decision to fly halfway around the world amid a pandemic. In a Thursday blog post , the English-born author wrote that he flew three weeks ago from New Zealand—where his wife and son remain—to London, then drove to his writing retreat...
Author's Murdered Wife,
FBI Training Were All Made Up
May 13, 2020 12:40 PM CDT
Author's Murdered Wife, FBI Training Were All Made Up
Stephane Bourgoin was considered one of France's leading experts on serial killers
- French author Stephane Bourgoin specializes in nonfiction—except when it comes to his own life story. The 67-year-old, long considered France's leading expert in serial killers, has confessed to lying extensively about his past, the
reports. Bourgoin, author of more than 40 books about serial killers and criminal...
A Hacker Did
This to Me
May 10, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
Neil Gaiman: A Hacker Did This to Me
The 'American Gods' author sees his marital woes go public
- Really, I was hacked. That's all it is. So said Neil Gaiman after his Goodreads account showed he was reading the book
Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder
while his marriage fell into disarray, Mashable reports. His marital woes became public recently when...
Simone de Beauvoir Book
to Be Released After 66 Years
Apr 29, 2020 6:05 PM CDT
Simone de Beauvoir Book to Be Released After 66 Years
It tells the story of a friendship that ended tragically
- A new book from Simone de Beauvoir is going to reach readers 66 years after it was written—and 34 years after the feminist author's death. Publishers say
tells the story of the writer's friendship with Elisabeth "Zaza" Lacoin, who died at 21 from viral...
Prophetic Book Saw
All of This Coming
Apr 15, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
Prophetic Book Saw All of This Coming
Saleema Nawaz's 'Songs for the End of the World' just came out as an e-book
- Face masks, hoarding, social distancing—it all happened before … in Saleema Nawaz's mind. The Montreal author devoted six years of her life to a novel that looks a lot like our life with the coronavirus, the
Globe & Mail
reports. If this sounds exaggerated, consider that
At Age 4, He
Knew He'd Write.
His Creation: a
Mar 31, 2020 9:02 AM CDT
At Age 4, He Knew He'd Write. His Creation: a Famous Witch
'Strega Nona' author Tomie dePaola dies at age 85 after complications, surgery following a bad fall
- Tomie dePaola, the prolific children's author and illustrator who delighted generations with tales of Strega Nona, the kindly and helpful old witch in Italy, died Monday at age 85 at the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, NH, according to his literary agent. He was badly injured in a fall...
World War Z
Author Calls Out
'Onion of Layered Lies'
Mar 25, 2020 3:42 PM CDT
World War Z
Author Calls Out 'Onion of Layered Lies'
Max Brooks says government could've prevented much of the current panic
- Of the coronavirus-themed celebrity PSAs released so far, Max Brooks' entry with his famous dad Mel—in which the two communicate with each other through a sliding-glass door—has become one of the most shared . The author of 2006's apocalyptic
World War Z
explains to SYFY Wir e that...
Makes Big Move
on Social Media
Feb 3, 2020 6:12 AM CST
Stephen King Makes Big Move on Social Media
Author has quit Facebook over concerns on 'false information,' privacy
- Last month, Facebook decided it wasn't going to bar or fact-check political ads during this election season, nor keep those ads from being targeted to certain groups of people. Now, partly based on that, Stephen King has made his own decision: He has left the social media site for...
Has a Surprising Author
Nov 29, 2019 8:45 AM CST
Centuries-Old Manuscript Has a Surprising Author
Queen Elizabeth I's messy handwriting was the big giveaway, historian says
- In what the
is calling a "royal bombshell," a centuries-old manuscript recently unearthed in a UK library turns out to have been penned by someone rather unexpected. The 42-page text, a translation of a book by the Roman historian Tacitus, has taken up residence at London'...
Anonymous Anti-Trump Author
Says He Will Reveal Identity
Nov 27, 2019 4:42 AM CST
Anonymous Anti-Trump Author Says He Will Reveal Identity
'Donald Trump has not heard the last of me'
- After much speculation about his identity , the anonymous author of
had an "Ask Me Anything" session on Reddit and promised not to stay anonymous forever. "I am not afraid to use my own name to express concern about the current occupant of the Oval Office,"...
Man Who Cracked
He Knows 'Anonymous'
Nov 26, 2019 6:32 AM CST
Man Who Cracked
Thinks He Knows 'Anonymous'
Kusnet believes author is Mattis speechwriter
- David Kusnet, the former Bill Clinton speechwriter who deduced that Joe Klein wrote
, believes he has figured out the identity of another anonymous author. Kusnet writes in the
that he strongly suspects, based on a "close reading of the text," that the author of...
Why Irish Politicians
Are Seeking to
Unearth James Joyce
Oct 16, 2019 1:04 PM CDT
Why Irish Politicians Are Seeking to Unearth James Joyce
They want him repatriated by 2022, but it won't be easy
- James Joyce could be in for an international move some 70 years after his death. Officials in Ireland hope to dig up the country's "premier writer" in order to repatriate his remains and those of his wife, kept at a Swiss cemetery, before the 100th anniversary of Joyce'...
Students React to Writer's
Talk by Burning Her Book
Oct 12, 2019 4:30 PM CDT
Students React to Writer's Talk by Burning Her Book
Jennine Capó Crucet was speaking out against white privilege
- A visiting novelist at Georgia Southern University inspired such debate Wednesday that some students set her book on fire, BuzzFeed reports. Jennine Capó Crucet told a student audience about her novel,
Make Your Home Among Strangers
, which depicts a Cuban American girl trying to fit in with a privileged, mostly...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
20-Year Search for One of 'World's Most Brutal Killers' Ends
Thomas: Justices Don't Trust Each Other Anymore
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.