Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Along the Mississippi,
a 'Serious Situation'
Sep 26, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
Along the Mississippi, a 'Serious Situation'
Saltwater intrusion could mean salt water for close to 1M people in Louisiana
- A summer of high heat and low rainfall has created a serious risk to New Orleans' drinking water. In the coming weeks, water levels on the Mississippi River are expected to reach historic lows for the second year in a row . That means salt water flowing north from the Gulf...
A Texas Mystery:
Aug 15, 2023 1:48 PM CDT
A Texas Mystery: Water Barrels for Migrants Are Disappearing
Human rights groups have long maintained them as life-saving measure in desperate heat
- As one of the worst heat waves on record rolls through much of the southern United States this summer, authorities and activists in South Texas found themselves embroiled in a mystery in the arid region near the border with Mexico. Barrels of life-saving water that a human rights group had...
Florida City Famous for Its
Water Now Has Water Woes
Jul 8, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Florida City Famous for Its Water Now Has Water Woes
Zephyrhills is using a lot of it thanks to a booming population
- Zephyrhills, located inland from Tampa, Florida, is famous for its water. In fact, it calls itself the "City of Pure Water." But thanks to a population explosion—13,000 residents in 2010 ballooned to 20,000 in 2022—there are growing concerns that the city's water allowance...
Supreme Court Sides Against
Navajo Nation in Water Case
Jun 22, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
Supreme Court Sides Against Navajo Nation in Water Case
Biden administration feared similar fights with other tribes
- The Supreme Court ruled against the Navajo Nation on Thursday in a dispute involving water from the drought-stricken Colorado River. States that draw water from the river—Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado—and water districts in California that are also involved in the case had urged the court to decide for...
All Over the Moon
Mar 28, 2023 12:03 PM CDT
There's Water All Over the Moon
Researchers in China find H2O can be pulled from heated impact beads
- New research suggests trillions of gallons of water are spread across the moon—which should be great news for those planning a lunar colony. Though NASA plans to search for water ice at the lunar south pole, there are signs that water isn't restricted to the poles but is...
Philly Residents May Want to
Drink Bottled Water for a Bit
Mar 27, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Philly Residents May Want to Drink Bottled Water for a Bit
Drinking water thought to be OK through Monday after chemical spill in Delaware River
- Philadelphia residents were told Sunday that they may want to drink bottled water following a chemical spill into the Delaware River in a neighboring county. Bucks County health officials said Sunday that a leak late Friday evening at the Trinseo Altuglas chemical facility in Bristol Township spilled between 8,100...
UN: 26% of People Don't
Have Safe Drinking Water
Mar 22, 2023 12:30 PM CDT
UN: 26% of People Don't Have Safe Drinking Water
'10% of the global population lives in countries with high or critical water stress'
- A new UN report says 26% of the world’s population doesn’t have access to safe drinking water and 46% lacks access to basic sanitation. The World Water Development Report 2023, released Tuesday, painted a stark picture of the huge gap that needs to be filled to meet UN...
Research Throws Water on
Dec 11, 2022 6:45 AM CST
Research Throws Water on 8-Glasses-a-Day Advice
The 64-ounces guidance might have been taken too literally
- The advice to drink eight glasses of water a day is so engrained that it might be difficult to dislodge it. But some researchers are trying to, the
reports. A new study published in the journal
finds issues with that guidance, which might have been misunderstood all...
Ex-Michigan Governor Catches
Big Break in Flint Case
Dec 10, 2022 11:30 AM CST
Ex-Michigan Governor Catches Big Break in Flint Case
Judge dismisses criminal charges against Rick Snyder, 8 years after water issues began
- A judge dismissed criminal charges against former Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder in the Flint water crisis, months after the state Supreme Court said indictments returned by a one-person grand jury were invalid. Snyder, a Republican who left office in 2019, had been charged with two misdemeanor counts of willful neglect...
Houston Residents Can
Drink Their Water Again
Nov 29, 2022 7:51 AM CST
Houston Residents Can Drink Their Water Again
City lifts boil advisory
- Houston officials lifted an order Tuesday that had called for more than 2 million people in the nation's fourth-largest city to boil their tap water before drinking or using it. The boil order had been in effect since Sunday, when a power outage at a purification plant caused pressure...
Houston Issues Boil Water
Notice for Entire City
Nov 28, 2022 2:13 PM CST
Houston Issues Boil Water Notice for Entire City
Power outage caused pressure to drop at water purification plant
- More than 2 million people in the Houston area were under a boil order notice Monday after a power outage at a purification plant caused water pressure to drop, and the mayor of the nation's fourth-largest city ordered a full review of the system. The notice tells customers to...
It's Canned Water.
And It's Nearly a Unicorn
in case you missed it
Oct 9, 2022 7:20 AM CDT
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Inside Liquid Death's latest round of funding
- Liquid Death might sound like something that kills. In reality, its founders are set to make a killing. The 3-year-old environmentally conscious canned water startup is now valued at $700 million after its latest funding round, making it "70% of a unicorn," as Alex Wilhelm at TechCrunch points...
About Capital City
Does Not Land Well
Sep 19, 2022 10:55 AM CDT
Governor's Joke About Capital City Does Not Land Well
Mississippi's Tate Reeves says it's 'a great day to not be in Jackson,' which has had water trouble
- The governor of Mississippi has raised eyebrows with a jab at the capital city of Jackson, which has recently endured serious drinking-water problems . Speaking at a function in the city of Hattiesburg, Tate Reeves told the crowd it was great to be in the city. "It's also, as...
City's Residents Told They
Can Drink the Water Again
Sep 15, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
City's Residents Told They Can Drink the Water Again
Mississippi health official immediately issues caveats
- After nearly seven weeks of being forced to boil their water before drinking it or using it to brush teeth, people in Mississippi's largest city were told Thursday that water from the tap is safe to consume—but Jackson's water system still needs big repairs that the mayor...
of the Future May
Sep 3, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Drinking Water of the Future May Come Increasingly From Toilets
In the face of climate change, recycled water could be a solution
- Garden hose bans are in place across much of Britain, where rivers and reservoirs are at unusually low levels following months of low rainfall. In the future, part of the solution will be "to reprocess the water that results from sewage treatment and turn it back into drinking water,...
Capital of Mississippi Has
Little or No Running Water
Aug 30, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Capital of Mississippi Has Little or No Running Water
This week's flooding made long-standing problems worse in Jackson
- For the 150,000 or so residents of Jackson, Miss., the water situation is a mess. The capital city's main treatment plant was on the brink of collapse, with most households having little or no water pressure. And if residents are lucky enough to have a trickle from their...
In Nebraska, Canal Water
Mysteriously Goes Missing
Aug 26, 2022 1:09 PM CDT
In Nebraska, Canal Water Mysteriously Goes Missing
Someone opened a dam on an irrigation channel one night this month
- Authorities in Nebraska are trying to determine who released 16 million gallons of water by opening a dam on an irrigation channel one night this month—and why. The puzzling water release from the Cambridge Canal reduced the flow to some 18,000 acres of crops and jeopardized expensive irrigation...
River, He Drank It
Jul 22, 2022 4:50 PM CDT
Offered Water From Polluted River, He Drank It 'Without Hesitation'
Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann ends up in hospital, though party denies it was from the water
- In this week's "Regrets, I've Had a Few" files, an Indian politician trying to show how clean the waters of a local river were ended up in the hospital, though his party insists the two events aren't related. On Sunday, Bhagwant Mann, the chief minister of...
Texas City Loses
During Heat Wave
Jun 15, 2022 5:07 PM CDT
Texas City Loses Running Water During Heat Wave
Odessa officials blame aging infrastructure
- Crews worked to restore water service Wednesday to the West Texas city of Odessa, where residents have been without water this week amid scorching temperatures after an aging pipe broke. The city's water treatment plant was back online by about 8am Wednesday, and utility officials said it could take...
2 States Fear
the Other Has
Designs on River
Jun 12, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
2 States Fear the Other Has Designs on River
Nebraska and Colorado have shared the South Platte's water for 99 years
- Since 1923, Nebraska and Colorado have shared the water of the South Platte River in harmony. Now both states are worried that the other is trying to get the jump on the river water, the
Wall Street Journal
reports, in a split that could end up in court. It began...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
When a Bear Came, Mom Knew What to Do
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.