Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Biden Making Another
Move to Keep Gas Prices
Oct 19, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
Biden Making Another Move to Keep Gas Prices From Skyrocketing
President will announce he's authorizing the release of 15M more barrels, sources say
- President Biden is authorizing the release of another 15 million barrels from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and will announce the move Wednesday, sources say. The release, expected sometime in December, will complete the White House's planned release of 180 million barrels, which was announced earlier this year and is...
Gas Is on the Path to
Less Than $3 per Gallon
Aug 16, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Gas Is on the Path to Less Than $3 per Gallon
Though experts warn that's not a guarantee
- For 62 days straight, the average national price for a gallon of gas has fallen, reaching $3.96 on Monday. That's around a 21% drop—$1.06 per gallon—since the $5.02-a-gallon high reached on June 14, reports CNN Business . In nearly 30 states, a gallon now costs...
Gas Prices Dip Below $4
Aug 11, 2022 4:11 AM CDT
Gas Prices Dip Below $4
Nationwide average is lowest in more than 5 months
- Gasoline prices have dipped to just under the $4 mark for the first time in more than five months—good news for consumers who are struggling with high prices for many other essentials. The American Automobile Association says the national average for a gallon of reguar was $3.99 on...
Here's Why Gas Prices Will
Probably Never Come Down
Aug 7, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
Here's Why Gas Prices Will Probably Never Come Down
Refinery capacity is the key, and it's not going up anytime soon, writes Politico's Ben Lefebvre
- Nothing can make or break a president’s political fortunes like the price of gasoline. As Ben Lefebvre reports for Politico, President Biden is trying to ease the pain by tapping the Strategic Petroleum Reserves, easing rules on ethanol sales, and proposing a temporary gas tax cut. Such bandages might...
Gas Prices Likely
to Keep Falling
Aug 3, 2022 1:16 PM CDT
Gas Prices Likely to Keep Falling
Expert predicts national average price to drop below $4 a gallon within a couple weeks
- The average cost of a gallon of regular unleaded gasoline fell for the 50th straight day Wednesday, dropping three cents to $4.16. That's a 17% decline from the record high of $5.02 on June 14, according to the Oil Price Information Service. Prices remain above $5 per...
Gas Tax Holiday
'Isn't Going to Happen'
Jun 22, 2022 3:11 PM CDT
Gas Tax Holiday 'Isn't Going to Happen'
'And it wouldn't help a ton even if it did'
- President Biden formally asked Congress for a three-month national gas tax holiday as expected Wednesday, though Politico 's Anthony Adragna doesn't expect there to be any change at the pumps. "This oft-repeated idea simply isn't going to happen—and wouldn't help a ton even if...
Biden Definitely Wants to Put
Federal Gas Tax on Pause
Jun 22, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Biden Definitely Wants to Put Federal Gas Tax on Pause
President to ask Congress to agree to move that would temporarily lower prices
President Biden has reportedly moved from "considering it" to something a lot firmer when it comes to a temporary pause on the federal gas tax. Senior White House officials tells CNN and NBC News that Biden will in a Wednesday speech call on Congress to suspend the federal...
Gas Station Manager Who
Set Price at 69 Cents Fired
Jun 16, 2022 12:03 AM CDT
Gas Station Manager Who Set Price at 69 Cents Fired
Mistake cost the gas station $16K
The manager who accidentally rolled gas prices
back at a Northern California gas station has been fired. "I just took responsibility for it and I said ‘yeah it’s my fault, and I’m to blame,'" John Szczecina tells CBS Sacramento of the misplaced...
Soaring Gas Prices Are
a Huge Problem for Biden
Jun 12, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Soaring Gas Prices Are a Huge Problem for Biden
Administration admits relief could be months away
- The average gas price in the US hit an eye-watering $5 a gallon Saturday, and analysts say the record-breaking price is a massive problem for President Biden and his admnistration ahead of the midterm elections—especially since relief could be a long time away. Recent polls show that an overwhelming...
Gas Prices Hit
a Nationwide First
Jun 11, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Gas Prices Hit a Nationwide First
Average cost per gallon in the US is now $5, according to AAA
- The nationwide average price for a gallon of gasoline has topped $5 for the first time ever. Auto club AAA said the average price on Saturday was $5.00. Motorists in some parts of the country, especially California, are paying far above that. The national average price has jumped 19...
Pain at the Pump
Sees a New Jump
Jun 6, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
Pain at the Pump Sees a New Jump
Gas prices have spiked 25 cents in just one week
- At least 10 states now claim an average gas price of more than $5 per gallon, and some of them can trace this dubious honor back to a surge over the past few days. According to AAA, the country's average increased to $4.87 a gallon on Monday, which...
OPEC Alliance Agrees
to Boost Oil Production
Jun 2, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
OPEC Alliance Agrees to Boost Oil Production
Move by group that includes Russia may bring modest relief to sky-high prices
- The OPEC oil cartel and allied countries including Russia will raise production by 648,000 barrels per day in July and August, offering modest relief for a global economy suffering from soaring energy prices and inflation. The decision Thursday steps up the pace by the alliance, known as OPEC Plus,...
Gas Prices in Every State
Reach an Unwelcome Mark
May 18, 2022 2:27 PM CDT
Gas Prices in Every State Reach an Unwelcome Mark
Average has crossed $4 for the first time in all 50 states
- There's apparently nowhere for Americans to hide from rising gas prices. For the first time, prices in every state average at least $4 per gallon, AAA data show. The immediate cause is the increasing cost of crude oil, which is almost $110 a barrel globally, per NBC News . AAA...
May 10, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Gas Prices Reach Record, and Biden Speaks Out
Inflation is my No. 1 priority, says the president
- About a month ago, President Biden ordered the release of a million barrels of oil a day from national reserves to help curb steep gas prices. On Tuesday, however, those gas prices reached their steepest point on record—an average of $4.37 across the US, reports the Hill . No...
Biden to End Summer
Ban on 15% Ethanol Gas
Apr 12, 2022 6:44 AM CDT
Biden to End Summer Ban on 15% Ethanol Gas
New strategy to lower gas prices to be announced Tuesday
- President Biden on Tuesday will announce plans to allow the sale of gasoline containing 15% ethanol this summer in a bid to further lower prices at the pump , according to reports. Most gasoline sold contains up to 10% ethanol. The 15% ethanol blend, E15, costs 10 cents less per gallon...
Biden Sticker on Gas Pump
Leads to Man's Arrest
Apr 11, 2022 3:46 PM CDT
Biden Sticker on Gas Pump Leads to Man's Arrest
Pennsylvania man faces charges including resisting arrest
- With gas prices still near record highs after a surge earlier this year, stickers blaming President Biden have become a common sight at gas pumps across the country—but one Pennsylvania man ended up in the back of a squad car after getting caught in the act. Thomas Richard Glazewski,...
Oil Executives Don't Bend
on Cutting Dividends
Apr 6, 2022 7:00 PM CDT
Oil Executives Don't Bend on Cutting Dividends
Democrats in hearing push for money to be diverted to increasing production
- Leveling intense criticism at oil companies over skyrocketing energy prices, House Democrats suggested that the CEOs cut dividends and reduce stock buybacks, diverting that money to increasing production. In a hearing Wednesday, Rep. Frank Pallone asked the executives if they'd agree to "doing whatever it takes" to lower...
It's the Biggest
of US Oil
Mar 31, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
It's the Biggest Drawdown of US Oil in History
President orders release of 180M barrels from US reserves over six months
This summary has been updated with new developments throughout.
President Biden is ordering the release of 1 million barrels of oil per day from the nation’s strategic petroleum reserve for six months, the White House said Thursday, in a bid to control energy prices that have spiked since...
From the Gas Pump
Draws Shock, Then Snark
Mar 25, 2022 7:25 AM CDT
Ice-T's Tale From the Gas Pump Draws Shock, Then Snark
Rapper joke-tweeted that he was robbed ... by high prices at the gas station
- A tweet from Ice-T this week prompted immediate concern from those reading it—until they got to the end of the post and realized the 64-year-old rapper and
Law and Order: SVU
actor was making a pointed joke about a timely topic. "I was robbed at a gas station...
We Could Get
a 'Gas Tax Holiday'
Mar 10, 2022 12:38 PM CST
We Could Get a 'Gas Tax Holiday'
Lawmakers are pushing the idea to ease the pain at the pumps
- With gas prices at their highest in years—an average of $4.318 per gallon in the US as of Thursday—and expected to climb higher , some lawmakers are calling on President Biden to back the suspension of a federal gas tax to ease the financial burden. A federal "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.