Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Her Lungs Were Among Worst
He'd Seen. Now, a 2nd Chance
Jun 11, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
Her Lungs Were Among Worst He'd Seen. Now, a 2nd Chance
Double lung transplant saves young COVID-19 patient's life in Chicago
- A 20-something woman whose lungs were devastated by the coronavirus has undergone the first known US lung transplant related to COVID-19—a double transplant, at that. It was her one shot at survival, reports the
New York Times
. The procedure carried out at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago last week...
Helps Livers Survive,
Jan 15, 2020 10:10 AM CST
New Machine Helps Livers Survive, Regenerate Outside Body
This could be a huge breakthrough in transplant technology
- The liver is an amazing organ—the only internal one capable of regenerating itself—and researchers in Switzerland have come up with an invention almost as impressive. A machine they've been working on since 2015 keeps livers alive outside the human body for up to a week, instead of...
Identical Twin Gives
His Brother a Testicle
Dec 9, 2019 10:30 AM CST
Identical Twin Gives His Brother a Testicle
It's only the 3rd such operation, in part because of ethical issues
- Doctors in Serbia have accomplished a rare feat in the field of transplants: They removed a testicle from a donor and implanted it into his identical twin brother, reports the
New York Times
. The 36-year-olds are doing fine, and the procedure should allow the recipient not only to have more...
2 Patients, One Kidney,
a 'Rare' Mistake
Nov 27, 2019 2:04 PM CST
2 Patients, One Kidney, a 'Rare' Mistake
New Jersey hospital calls erroneous transplant an 'unprecedented event'
- A New Jersey hospital is offering a mea culpa for an "unprecedented event" and vowing to put measures into places so something similar never happens again. Per NJ Advance Media , Virtua Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Camden acknowledged this week that a 51-year-old patient on the transplant list...
Brain-Dead Patient Allegedly
Kept Alive to Boost Stats
Oct 4, 2019 11:43 AM CDT
Brain-Dead Patient Allegedly Kept Alive to Boost Stats
ProPublica investigation looks into case at Newark Beth Israel hospital in New Jersey
- A ProPublica investigation into practices at New Jersey's Newark Beth Israel hospital reveals a startling case: The hospital is accused of keeping a brain-dead patient alive for a year to boost survival stats on organ transplants. The story alleges that the hospital's transplant team kept the family of...
US May Be Tossing
Too Many Donated Kidneys
Aug 30, 2019 12:29 PM CDT
US May Be Tossing Too Many Donated Kidneys
US discards more than France, despite the big waiting list
- Every day, 12 Americans die while waiting for a kidney transplant. In what will be an especially hard pill to swallow for the 93,000 Americans currently on the waiting list, about 10 donated kidneys are discarded in that same period, reports
. A study published Monday in
Jun 18, 2019 5:48 PM CDT
China Forcefully Harvests Organs From Detainees, Tribunal Finds
Independent group calls practice 'unmatched wickedness'
- China is harvesting organs from detainees in prison camps to feed a $1 billion transplant business, an international tribunal has found. More than 1.5 million people are being held in the camps, and some of them are being killed for their organs, NBC reports. In London, the independent China...
He Came to the Rescue.
2 Years Later, She Did for Him
May 21, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
He Came to the Rescue. 2 Years Later, She Did for Him
It's kidney donor Becca Bundy who feels 'pretty blessed'
- Two years after a volunteer firefighter rushed to help her 1-year-old daughter, who was having a seizure, Becca Bundy returned the favor. The mother from Cook, Minn., donated one of her kidneys to Bill Cox after she ran into him in October in the bar that's employed him for...
This Is One of the Best
Drone Deliveries Ever
Apr 30, 2019 1:55 AM CDT
This Is One of the Best Drone Deliveries Ever
In a first, a hospital receives a kidney needed for transplant
- The University of Maryland Medical Center received a historic delivery at its Shock Trauma heliport last week: a human kidney, delivered by drone. The first-of-its-kind delivery was made by the LG-1,000, a 50-pound drone created by the university's School of Medicine specifically to transport organs, CBS Baltimore reports....
Baboon Experiment May
Have Big Implications
Dec 6, 2018 8:14 AM CST
Baboon Experiment May Have Big Implications
Two survive 6 months with pig hearts
- A new study involving pigs and baboons could mean big news for humans downs the road. Researchers successfully implanted pig hearts into baboons, and two of the recipients lived for six months before being euthanized, reports
. Writing in
, the researchers from Germany, Sweden, and Switzerland call the...
World First for
Dec 5, 2018 7:51 AM CST
'Extremely Exciting' World First for Woman Sans Womb
Patient gave birth to healthy baby girl after uterus transplant from deceased donor
- A 45-year-old woman who'd been pregnant and had three successful deliveries died from a stroke—but her uterus just produced its fourth child. In what Gizmodo calls a "medical first," doctors in Sao Paulo, Brazil, implanted that woman's reproductive organ after her death in a 32-year-old...
She Found Out
She Had Cancer.
Then, a 'God
Oct 12, 2018 7:56 AM CDT
She Found Out She Had Cancer. Then, a 'God Moment'
Nurse Iris Zink donated her kidney to longtime patient and friend Ginny Holcomb
- Everyone hopes for a caring and compassionate nurse when they're ailing, but one Michigan woman's caretaker went "above and beyond the call of duty," per
Becker's Hospital Review
. For more than 15 years, nurse practitioner Iris Zink has treated Ginny Holcomb at Lansing Rheumatology, and...
Guy Offers Truck, Kidney
in Return for Help for Sick Wife
May 10, 2018 12:10 AM CDT
Guy Offers Truck, Kidney in Return for Help for Sick Wife
He says she desperately needs a new liver
- A California man desperate to save his wife's life made an unusual offer: his truck, his trailer, and one of his kidneys in return for a slice of healthy liver from somebody with O-positive or O-negative blood. In a Facebook post that went viral, Verlon Robinson, 55, said he...
Twins Shared a Liver Disease.
Why Only One Was Saved
Mar 22, 2018 6:38 AM CDT
Twins Shared a Liver Disease. Why Only One Was Saved
Mom blames shortage of organs, which forced the boys to get sicker before being put on list
- Margi Coats knew her son was dying. "I stayed awake holding his hand all night with my heart pounding, waiting for him to take his last breath," she says of 18-year-old Nick's final hours. "It's the most frightening thing in the world for a mother....
Lose Your Kidney in Venezuela,
'Go Straight to the Cemetery'
in case you missed it
Mar 3, 2018 4:00 PM CST
Lose Your Kidney in Venezuela, 'Go Straight to the Cemetery'
Medicine shortage causing those with transplants to experience rejection
- There's a literal casualty of Venezuela's ongoing economic woes: those with kidney problems. Reuters dives into the dire situation that both kidney transplant recipients and those hoping to join their ranks face in the midst of the country's inability to buy enough drugs from abroad or make...
Feb 17, 2018 5:08 PM CST
Scientists Create Human-Sheep Chimera for Organ Donations
Though it's long way from sheep embryos with human cells to that point
- Human-animal chimeras are taking over the barnyard. A year after a research team announced they had created the first animal-human chimera by way of pig embryos containing human cells, they've done it again, the
reports. This time it's sheep embryos with human cells. The goal is to...
Man Who Got Face Transplant
Details Life After Risky Surgery
Oct 23, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Man Who Got Face Transplant Details Life After Risky Surgery
Pat Hardison says he 'bet it all' and won; now he vacations with his kids, lives life to fullest
- There was only a 50% chance the face transplant that could transform his life would work—and it was a gamble Mississippi's Pat Hardison won. Per
, the ex-Senatobia firefighter received the "world's most extensive face transplant" in August 2015, after he'd been severely burned...
Illegal Organ Harvesting
Is Over in China: Report
Sep 23, 2017 11:52 AM CDT
Illegal Organ Harvesting Is Over in China: Report
China has slowly stopped practice of taking organs from death row prisoners, says Post
- Long accused of harvesting the organs of prisoners on death row to be sold to the highest bidder, China appears to have cleaned up its act, the
reports. China has been castigated by the international community for building the world's second-largest—but basically unregulated—transplant industry by...
On First Day of School, Tragedy
for Heart Transplant Teen
in case you missed it
Aug 26, 2017 2:59 PM CDT
On First Day of School, Tragedy for Heart Transplant Teen
Peyton West collapsed and died as his older brother dropped him off at school
- Peyton West's dad says that when the Ohio teen woke up for his first day of school on Thursday, he was his usual "goofy self," WKRC reports. But just hours later, the 13-year-old, who'd had a heart transplant in March, had died, leaving his family, friends,...
Could Mean Pig
Organs in Humans
Aug 11, 2017 9:34 AM CDT
Big Breakthrough Could Mean Pig Organs in Humans
Scientists who've created genetically modified piglets say perhaps in 2 years
- Pig organs have long been eyed as transplant options for humans, as the organs are about the same size and pigs are plentiful, but it's been challenging to overcome the human immune system's possible rejection of such organs. Now, in what one medical expert tells the
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.