Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 3,269,541+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cindy McCain Sees No Voice of Reason Anymore
Senator's wife laments changes since his death
- The Republican Party has changed since her husband's death a year ago, Cindy McCain says. Bipartisanship is missing. "I don't see anybody carrying that mantle at all, I don't see anyone carrying the voice—the voice of reason," she tells ABC News in a new...
Charles Had 90 Minutes to Change Trump's Mind, Didn't
President, Piers Morgan talk climate change in wide-ranging interview
- President Trump's sit-down with Prince Charles was supposed to last 15 minutes. It went for 90, but that wasn't enough to get Trump on board with Charles' climate stance. In a
Good Morning Britain
interview that aired Wednesday, the president answered a slew of questions from Piers Morgan....
Mulvaney Defends Request to Hide USS John McCain
He says it was 'not an unreasonable thing'
- Asking the US Navy to conceal a ship named after three generations of American war heroes to avoid potentially irritating the president was "not an unreasonable thing," according to Mick Mulvaney. The acting White House chief of staff told NBC 's
Meet the Press
on Sunday that...
Navy Confirms Request to Hide USS McCain From Trump
Ships remained 'in their normal configuration,' admiral says
- The Navy indeed was asked to "minimize the visibility" of the USS John S. McCain when President Trump was in Japan last month. "However, all ships remained in their normal configuration during the President's visit," Rear Adm. Charlie Brown said in a statement Saturday, per Politico...
Trump Responds to Reports of Odd McCain Directive
If a White House official ordered ship obscured, he was 'well-meaning,' says president
- President Trump has made no secret of the fact that he isn't, and never was, an admirer of the late John McCain. But that story took a strange turn this week with a report that the White House ordered the Navy essentially to conceal a destroyer named for McCain'...
Report: White House Wanted USS John McCain 'Out of Sight'
'Trump is a child,' tweets Meghan McCain
- The White House made a bizarre request ahead of President Trump's visit to a naval base in Japan this week, according to an email seen by the
Wall Street Journal
. In the May 15 email a US Indo-Pacific Command official told US Navy and Air Force officials that the...
'Be Respectful,' Meghan McCain Scolds Klobuchar
'The View' host wants late father left 'out of presidential politics'
- Meghan McCain was not a fan of Amy Klobuchar's anecdote about John McCain reciting names of dictators during President Trump's inauguration speech. "On behalf of the entire McCain family - @amyklobuchar please be respectful to all of us and leave my fathers legacy and memory out of...
Klobuchar: McCain Did an Odd Thing at Trump's Inauguration
He listed dictators 'because he knew this man'
- The late Sen. John McCain apparently predicted President Trump's cozy relationship with dictators well before the president rubbed elbows with Kim Jong Un and Rodrigo Duterte. At an event in Iowa on Saturday, Democratic presidential candidate Amy Klobuchar recounted that the Arizona senator "kept reciting to me names...
Trump Renews Criticism of John McCain
Widow Cindy McCain disputes report she will endorse Joe Biden
- President Trump renewed his criticism of the late John McCain on Thursday, telling Sean Hannity of Fox News that McCain "did the nation a tremendous disservice" when he voted against a Republican bill to repeal ObamaCare in 2017. "John McCain, at the very last moment, late in the...
Arnold Defends McCain, Takes Personal Jab at Trump
The late senator's youngest daughter also made a rare public pushback
- President Trump has unleashed a series of new attacks on the late John McCain in recent days, seven months after the senator's death, and Sen. Joni Ernst on Thursday became the latest Republican to criticize him for it. "He does need to stop that," said Ernst when...
Trump: I Wasn't Thanked for John McCain's Funeral
Senator's daughter slams 'bizarre new low'
- President Trump continued his feud with the late John McCain Wednesday, telling an audience at a tank factory in Ohio that he "wasn't a fan" of the senator—and complaining that he was never thanked for approving his funeral seven months ago. "I gave him the kind...
Cindy McCain Shares the Hate That Followed Trump's Criticism
Senator's widow shares private message she received from a stranger
- "I'm glad he's dead," a stranger told John McCain's widow in a private social media message. Cindy McCain received the message after President Trump renewed his criticism of the longtime senator and POW, tweeting a series of attacks on McCain over the weekend, Today reports....
Romney 'Can't Understand' Trump's Attacks on McCain
He praises 'exemplary' senator
- The Republican Party's 2012 presidential nominee isn't happy about what the 2016 candidate is saying about the 2008 nominee. In a tweet Tuesday night, Sen. Mitt Romney wondered why President Trump had renewed his attacks on John McCain seven months after the Arizona senator's death,
Meghan Fires Back After Trump Attacks John McCain
President still feuding with late senator
- President Trump is apparently still feuding with John McCain—seven months after the senator's death . After a report that a McCain associate had leaked the infamous Russia dossier, Trump quoted Ken Starr as saying it was a "very dark stain" on McCain's record and tweeted that the...
GOP's McSally Will End Up in Senate After All
She is appointed to fill John McCain's seat until a special election in 2020
- Arizona's governor has named Rep. Martha McSally to replace Jon Kyl in the Senate seat that once belonged to John McCain, the AP reports. Republican Gov. Doug Ducey announced Tuesday that McSally will take over for Kyl, who was appointed after McCain's death from brain cancer in August...
She Lost Race for Senate. Now, New Door May Open
Arizona governor has to pick a senator, and Rep. Martha McSally is a top contender
- Rising GOP star Martha McSally lost a close race for the Senate in November, but the Arizona congresswoman may end up joining the new crop of senators anyway. McSally is considered a top contender to be appointed to a suddenly vacant Senate seat in her home state, reports the Hill...
Will Trump Speak at Funeral? He Has Friction With Bushes
But the president had kind words for George HW Bush on Saturday
- President Trump had kind words for George HW Bush on Saturday after the former president's death , both in a formal statement and a more personal tweet . But as
reports, Trump has a history of friction with the Bush family, with the elder Bush himself referring to Trump...
Defeated Republican Could Still Get a Senate Seat
Supporters want Martha McSally appointed to John McCain's old seat
- After it became clear that Democrat Kyrsten Sinema had an insurmountable lead in the Arizona Senate race, Republican Martha McSally delivered a gracious concession speech —so gracious that she might end up in the Senate after all. Arizona's other Senate seat is currently held by Republican Sen. Jon...
John McCain's Replacement Is No Stranger to the Senate
Jon Kyl was once the No. 2 GOP senator
- The person who will fill John McCain's Senate seat is a man who has occupied such a chair before. The
reports former Sen. Jon Kyl will be named as McCain's successor on Tuesday; the AP received confirmation from Cindy McCain. Kyl and McCain served as fellow...
Senator Praises Meghan McCain Following Funeral
The South Carolina Republican praised his friend's child
- On CNN's
State of the Union
, Sen. Lindsey Graham praised Meghan McCain as "her father's daughter" following her headline-grabbing eulogy to her dad that many said appeared to bash President Trump. Former Secretary of State John Kerry appeared on
Face The Nation
and bashed the country's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Widow: Face-Mask Killing 'Destroyed' My Family
Horse Race Takes Bizarre Turn in the Home Stretch
FDA: These Hand Sanitizers Have Possibly Fatal Ingredient
New Battle Over 'Cancel Culture' Is Getting Vicious
Thanks, COVID-19: A US Tradition Bites the Dust
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.