Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Tiny Island Has Innovative
Plan to Protect the Ocean
Sep 23, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Tiny Island Has Innovative Plan to Protect the Ocean
Pacific island Niue wants people to sponsor oceans
- The tiny Pacific island nation of Niue has come up with a novel plan to protect its vast and pristine territorial waters—it will get sponsors to pay. Under the plan, launched by Niue's Prime Minister Dalton Tagelagi on Tuesday in New York, individuals or companies can pay $148...
Island Shuts Schools Amid
'Very Explosive' COVID Riots
Nov 22, 2021 12:34 PM CST
Island Shuts Schools Amid 'Very Explosive' COVID Riots
French territory of Guadeloupe trashed during days of protests turned violent
- Schools closed across the French Caribbean territory of Guadeloupe on Monday, and France's president warned of a "very explosive" situation in the island territory, after protests against COVID-19 rules and vaccinations descended into days of rioting and looting. France's central government sent in police special forces to...
Scientists Stumble Upon
World's Northernmost Island
Aug 30, 2021 3:35 AM CDT
Scientists Stumble Upon World's Northernmost Island
They thought they were on Oodaaq Island, discovered they were further north
- Scientists who thought they were on Oodaaq Island, an Arctic island off the coast of Greenland, checked their position and found they were actually 2,625 feet further north. That means they likely discovered the planet's northernmost island, the point of land closest to the North Pole, the BBC...
A Treaty Gave Them the Island
in 1794. They Now Have It Back
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2021 11:29 AM CDT
A Treaty Gave Them the Island in 1794. They Now Have It Back
'It's been every chief's goal ever since to return it,' says William Nicholas
- Members of the Passamaquoddy tribe frequented Maine's Pine Island (Kuwesuwi Monihq) for millennia before the arrival of white settlers, who brought deadly diseases. Graves of tribal members who died of smallpox remain on the island, but prior to March, they hadn't been visited by members in more than...
in case you missed it
May 1, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Island's Lone Resident Leaving After 3 Decades
Mauro Morandi, 81, has been caretaker of Italy's Budelli since 1989
- Mauro Morandi is known as Italy's Robinson Crusoe, for good reason. As the BBC explains, the 81-year-old came across the Italian island of Budelli while at sea in 1989—and he never left. That's about to change, however. Morandi is decamping against his will after being the island'...
Only Home on This Island Can
Be Yours, With a Fitting Address
Apr 28, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
Only Home on This Island Can Be Yours, With a Fitting Address
Rhode Island's 0 Patience Way is on the market for $400K
- Zero patience for the company of others? Anyone who's ever wanted their own private island getaway now has a chance, and it might be less expensive than you'd think, per the AP . The only house on a small island in Rhode Island's Narragansett Bay has hit the...
15-Month Mission Saves
Giraffes on Sinking Island
Apr 16, 2021 9:56 AM CDT
15-Month Mission Saves Giraffes on Sinking Island
9 endangered Rothschild giraffes transported on custom-made barge to mainland Kenya
- For more than a year, multiple groups have worked together to rescue nine endangered giraffes from a sinking island in a Kenyan lake. On Monday, the final two animals made the milelong journey from their flooded habitat to their new home on the mainland, thanks to the rescuers' patience and...
Residents of 'Space Island'
Tell Elon Musk to Stay Away
Mar 10, 2021 10:20 AM CST
Residents of 'Space Island' Tell Elon Musk to Stay Away
Biak Island elder says supporting Indonesian spaceport would mean 'sponsoring' genocide
- Residents of a small island in Indonesia aren't too pleased to learn that their government has offered up their land to SpaceX boss Elon Musk. Indonesia President Joko Widodo has been encouraging Musk to build a rocket launch site in his country for months, per AFP . Biak's location,...
Quiet Island Has
a Mystery on Its Hands
Feb 15, 2021 2:37 PM CST
Quiet Island Has a Mystery on Its Hands
Italy's Capraia, with just 400 residents, has been hit by wave of thefts
- It's like "having a thief in the family," says the deputy mayor of the tiny Italian island of Capraia. As the
reports, he's referring to dozens of thefts on the island over the winter, a time when only about 400 residents live there. Unfortunately, the...
After 5 Weeks on
Feb 10, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Trio Rescued After 5 Weeks on Deserted Island
They had a lovely bunch of coconuts, at least
- US Coast Guard officials were conducting a routine air patrol on Monday when they noticed movement on what should've been a deserted island in the Bahamas. It turns out a trio had been living on Anguilla Cay, a tiny chain of islands between the Bahamas and Cuba, since swimming...
100 People, 2 Helicopters
Hunt for Very Special Dog
Dec 1, 2019 12:00 PM CST
100 People, 2 Helicopters Hunt for Very Special Dog
Flint, a rat-sniffer, got lost on an uninhabited island near New Zealand
- If Flint ever wondered, he can't now: People love the heck out of him. The Jack Russell-fox terrier got lost Wednesday on an island between New Zealand and Antarctica and triggered two rescue missions—one lasting seven hours, the AP reports. The rat-sniffing canine, aged about 5, was on...
Australia's 'Last Unspoilt
Paradise' Is Anything But
May 21, 2019 1:37 PM CDT
Australia's 'Last Unspoilt Paradise' Is Anything But
Researchers find 414M pieces of plastic debris on remote islands
- Study after study has illustrated the insane amount of plastic clogging up our planet. But a new one focusing on Australia's Cocos Islands suggests we still may have greatly underestimated the problem. Researchers surveyed 88% of the total landmass of the remote islands considered "Australia's last...
He Just Bought
a Private Island.
Cops Say He
Stole From Kmart
Apr 9, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
He Just Bought a Private Island. Cops Say He Stole From Kmart
Andrew Lippi faces grand theft charges, accused of stealing $300 worth of items
- Andrew Lippi owns a resort that's been used in MTV's
and a private island in the Florida Keys that he purchased for $8 million last week. He was also just accused of trying to steal about $300 worth of items from Kmart. ABC News and the...
One of the World's Newest
Islands Has a Mystery
Feb 7, 2019 9:04 AM CST
One of the World's Newest Islands Has a Mystery
NASA visitors 'baffled' by mud on land mass near Tonga
- An underwater volcano burped up a land mass near Tonga about four years ago, and NASA researchers who visited the new island for the first time got a surprise. The South Pacific island informally called Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai has "very sticky" clay mud, says scientist Dan Slayback in...
For Sale: One of
the Falkland Islands
Dec 13, 2018 11:10 AM CST
For Sale: One of the Falkland Islands
Name your price, because the sellers aren't sure
- Have a huge affinity for penguins? A family in Wales is accepting offers on one of the Falkland Islands, where tens of thousands of penguins from five species run amuck. An Important Bird and Biodiversity Area, as well as the third largest offshore island in the archipelago at 20 miles...
US Missionary Meets Grisly End
at Hands of Vicious Tribe
Nov 21, 2018 6:01 AM CST
US Missionary Meets Grisly End at Hands of Vicious Tribe
Fishermen arrested after 'adventure tourist' reportedly killed by Sentinelese with arrows
- The Sentinelese aren't exactly known to be welcoming to visitors, and they've once more lived up to that reputation. The AP and BBC report that the isolated indigenous tribe located on India's North Sentinel Island has apparently killed an American "adventure tourist," with local media...
Sign of 'What the Future Could
Look Like' in Remote Hawaii
in case you missed it
Oct 28, 2018 7:31 AM CDT
Sign of 'What the Future Could Look Like' in Remote Hawaii
East Island disappears beneath Pacific waves
- Hawaii might've grown a peninsula this year, but it's now lost a whole 11-acre island, and perhaps endangered seals and turtles along with it. East Island, the second-largest islet in the French Frigate Shoals atoll, a few hundred miles northwest of the Hawaiian island chain, has disappeared since...
Baby Born on Island That
Has 'Ban' on Childbirth
May 21, 2018 7:24 AM CDT
Baby Born on Island That Has 'Ban' on Childbirth
Fernando de Noronha island is some 230 miles off Brazil's coast
- It lies 230 miles off the coast of Brazil, making Fernando de Noronha a fairly isolated island—so much so that women who become pregnant there are told to go to the mainland to give birth. So amidst what the BBC terms a "ban" on childbirth comes a surprise:...
Man Vows to Defend
Island From National
Park Service 'Invaders'
Mar 15, 2018 1:00 PM CDT
Man Vows to Defend Island From National Park Service 'Invaders'
But the island doesn't appear to even exist anymore
- A man prepared to defend in court his claim of ownership of a tiny island off the coast of North Carolina remains undeterred despite said island having, by all appearances, ceased to exist, the
reports. "My land will always be there," says Ken Barlow of Virginia,...
Island Was to
Disappear in Months.
It's Now Been 3 Years
Dec 14, 2017 9:55 AM CST
Island Was to Disappear in Months. It's Now Been 3 Years
NASA hopes it will give insights into Martian volcanoes
- When an ash island formed in the Pacific Ocean following an underwater volcanic eruption in late 2014, scientists predicted it would soon disappear. Over the next six months, the island nestled between two others of the Tonga nation experienced heavy erosion, but "then it leveled off," NASA scientist...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Elusive Tire Slasher Turned Out to Be a Dog
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.