Blogger Dies in Accident Involving Whipped Cream Device

She was hit by exploding cream dispenser
By Arden Dier,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 22, 2017 7:13 AM CDT
Blogger Dies in Accident Involving Whipped Cream Device
A cream dispenser similar to the one Burger was using.   (Instagram)

(Newser) – A popular fitness and lifestyle blogger is dead after a whipped cream dispenser exploded. French blogger Rebecca Burger, 32, was on Sunday struck in the chest by a piece of the device, which injects gas into a metal container to create a high-pressure environment, reports the BBC. As HuffPost puts it, "Faults on the connectors can cause the [gas] capsules to break and expel at high speed." In Burger's case, she suffered cardiac arrest and died, per the Telegraph. Her death was announced by her family on Burger's Instagram account, which has 163,000 followers. Her family warned people not to use the cream dispensers, claiming "tens of thousands of the faulty devices" have been sold.

France's government office for consumers issued a warning about the dispensers in 2014, citing an explosion hazard, after numerous injuries were reported. One consumer group cites defective gas capsules as being the problem, per the BBC, which reports injuries ranging from busted teeth to tinnitus have been associated with the devices. One of the injured said in 2013, "I had six broken ribs, and my sternum was broken. At the hospital, I was told that if the shock and blast had been facing the heart, I would be dead now." Burger's death is under investigation, reports Le Parisien. (A woman died after drinking tea.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X