X

London Crash Being Treated as Terrorist Attack

Suspect wasn't known to security agencies
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 15, 2018 12:01 AM CDT
Armed police on Victoria Embankment in Westminster, after a car crashed into security barriers outside the Houses of Parliament, in London, Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018.   (Stefan Rousseau/PA via AP)
camera-icon View 4 more images

(Newser) – The crash that injured three people outside Britain's Houses of Parliament on Tuesday is being treated as a terrorist attack, police in London say—but the suspect does not appear to have been on authorities' radar. The 29-year-old man isn't known to counterterrorism or spy agencies and is not cooperating with investigators, the BBC reports. The Guardian has named the suspect as Salih Khater, a Birmingham resident of Sudanese origin. Authorities say two addresses in Birmingham and one in Nottingham, where the silver Ford Fiesta used in the attack was registered, were searched by officers Tuesday. The vehicle hit pedestrians and cyclists before slamming into security barriers Tuesday morning.

"Given that this appears to be a deliberate act, the method, and this being an iconic site, we are treating it as a terrorist incident," says Scotland Yard counterterror chief Neil Basu. He says police believe there is no further threat to the city and the threat level will not be raised from "severe," the AP reports. Prime Minister Theresa May denounced the attack but urged Londoners to go about their lives as normal. "For the second time in as many years the home of our democracy, which is a potent symbol of our precious values of tolerance and freedom, has witnessed terrible scenes just yards from its door," she said, referring to last year's deadly vehicle attack on a bridge near Parliament. (Read more London stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results  |  
9%
9%
22%
7%
50%
4%