Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Undersea Drones Find Remains
of Airman Missing Since 1967
Aug 2, 2021 1:37 PM CDT
Undersea Drones Find Remains of Airman Missing Since 1967
Robots have joined search for Vietnam MIAs
- More than a quarter of the 1,584 Americans still listed as missing in the Vietnam War disappeared over or near the country's territorial waters, and advances in technology may help bring closure to more families. Underwater drones have been used to locate the wreckage of one of two...
It's 'One of the Last Untold
Stories' of the Vietnam War
Mar 20, 2021 12:07 PM CDT
It's 'One of the Last Untold Stories' of the Vietnam War
Secret spraying of Agent Orange in Laos continues to take a heavy toll
- It is, writes George Black in the
New York Times
, "one of the last untold stories of the American war in Southeast Asia." He's referring to the scope of the United States' secret and illegal spraying of Agent Orange—and the even more toxic Agent Purple—on...
Neil Sheehan Revealed All
Before He Died. It's Amazing
in case you missed it
Jan 10, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Neil Sheehan Revealed All Before He Died. It's Amazing
'NYT' reporter revealed exactly how he got his hands on the Pentagon Papers
- The intimate details on how
New York Times
journalist Neil Sheehan broke the story on the Pentagon Papers have never been revealed—until now. In 2015, Sheehan explained exactly what happened to a reporter, on the condition the story not be published until after his death , which happened Thursday. The...
Reporter Who Broke
Pentagon Papers Story Dies
Jan 8, 2021 3:14 AM CST
Reporter Who Broke Pentagon Papers Story Dies
Neil Sheehan was 84
- Neil Sheehan, a reporter and Pulitzer Prize-winning author who broke the story of the Pentagon Papers for the
New York Times
and who chronicled the deception at the heart of the Vietnam War in his epic book about the conflict, died Thursday. He was 84. Sheehan died of complications from...
Man Pens Poignant
Obituary to 'Damaged'
Brother, a Vietnam Vet
Dec 19, 2019 9:40 AM CST
Man Pens Poignant Obituary to 'Damaged' Brother, a Vietnam Vet
Bill Ebeltoft was never the same after return from war, but Paul Ebeltoft's tribute recalls the old Bill
- In an obituary that CNN calls more of a "journey" than a death notice, a New York man penned a tribute to his brother, Vietnam veteran Bill Ebeltoft, who died Sunday at age 73. The now-viral obit, which appeared in the
in North Dakota, where Ebeltoft and...
Reporter Waiting for His Flight
Witnesses Something 'Beautiful'
Aug 9, 2019 6:58 AM CDT
Reporter Waiting for His Flight Witnesses Something 'Beautiful'
On inbound plane, the remains of an American who died in Vietnam, flown home by son
- Bryan Knight was 5 years old when he saw his father depart Dallas Love Field Airport for Vietnam. It was January 1967. On Thursday, Knight returned to the same airport, ferrying his father's remains. The Southwest captain had arranged to be the one to fly the remains of Col....
Thinks It's Found Man Who
Helped Trump Avoid Vietnam
Dec 26, 2018 6:33 AM CST
Thinks It's Found Man Who Helped Trump Avoid Vietnam
But Queens podiatrist Dr. Larry Braunstein died in 2007
- Much has been made of the bone spurs that allowed Donald Trump to secure a medical exemption from serving in the Vietnam War. If you're looking for the story behind that 1968 diagnosis, the
New York Times
thinks it finally maybe has it. The paper reports that Trump has...
Why 4K Mines Exploded
for No Apparent Reason
Nov 18, 2018 4:40 PM CST
Why 4K Mines Exploded for No Apparent Reason
A new paper looks millions of miles away
- A new paper says dozens—and by one account about four thousand—US mines exploded during the Vietnam war for a pretty strange reason, Atlas Obscura reports. Published in Space Weather , the paper concludes that a 1972 solar storm triggered the mines: "I was completely taken aback" by the...
Gets 7 Years for His
'Piece de Resistance'
Oct 18, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Gun Collector Gets 7 Years for His 'Piece de Resistance'
Vietnam vet Alfred Pick had illegal M14
- The fully automatic M14, spotted at a Texas gun show in the early 1980s, reminded Alfred Pick of the weapon he'd carried as an Army lieutenant in Vietnam. So he bought it, even though the gun was illegal to own and its serial number had been scratched out. Decades...
Medal of Honor
Thank Selfless Marine
Oct 17, 2018 11:20 AM CDT
Medal of Honor Helps Comrades Thank Selfless Marine
John Canley to be honored for rescuing wounded in Vietnam
- Sgt. Maj. John L. Canley repeatedly risked his life to rescue fellow Marines during the Vietnam War, so they felt it only right to fight for him. Thanks to their efforts, Canley will on Wednesday become the 300th Marine to receive the Medal of Honor, usually bestowed within five years...
Jane Fonda: 'I Will Go to My
Grave Regretting' That Photo
Sep 20, 2018 6:08 AM CDT
Jane Fonda: 'I Will Go to My Grave Regretting' That Photo
Actress talks to Stephen Colbert about image from Vietnam during the war
- The image was so volatile that it still comes up more than four decades later: Jane Fonda sitting on an anti-aircraft gun used by North Vietnamese soldiers against American planes. On Wednesday night, the 80-year-old actress talked to Stephen Colbert about "the bad thing I did," and said...
Search for Vietnam
War Buddy Goes Viral
May 29, 2018 2:35 PM CDT
Search for Vietnam War Buddy Goes Viral
His platoon called him 'Louisiana,' and hope social media outreach can track him down
- All they have is a photo from the 1970s, a nickname, and social media—but the veterans from one Vietnam War platoon are hoping that will be enough to track down the buddy they called "Louisiana." Posting from her husband's Vietnam reunion earlier this month, Susan Waldrop...
50 Years Ago:
Episode in Modern
US Military History'
Mar 16, 2018 2:57 AM CDT
50 Years Ago: 'Most Notorious Episode in Modern US Military History'
US soldiers slaughtered 504 unarmed civilians at My Lai
- More a thousand people in Vietnam marked Friday's 50th anniversary of the My Lai massacre, the most notorious episode in modern US military history, with talk of peace and cooperation instead of hatred. On March 16, 1968, the American soldiers of Charlie Company were sent on what they were...
Study Suggests Old Parasite
Is Killing Vietnam War Vets
Nov 22, 2017 2:00 AM CST
Study Suggests Old Parasite Is Killing Vietnam War Vets
It can take decades for symptoms of the cancer to appear
- A half a century after serving in Vietnam, hundreds of veterans have a new reason to believe they may be dying from a silent bullet—test results show some men may have been infected by a slow-killing parasite while fighting in the jungles of Southeast Asia. The Department of Veterans...
McCain Slams 'Bone Spur'
That Kept Trump Out of War
Oct 23, 2017 7:28 AM CDT
McCain Slams 'Bone Spur' That Kept Trump Out of War
Senator doesn't mention president by name, but faults Vietnam deferments by wealthy
- He didn't mention President Trump by name, but John McCain seems to have taken a swipe at the president over his Vietnam War deferment. In an interview with C-SPAN for the 50th anniversary of the war, McCain took issue with how easy it was for wealthy men to get...
Sep 15, 2017 10:47 AM CDT
Is 'Required Viewing'
Critic calls 18-hour series a 'masterpiece'
- A decade in the making, Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's documentary series,
The Vietnam War
, premieres on PBS Sunday, but it's already gaining quite the reputation among critics. The 18-hour documentary, told in 10 episodes, digs deep into the conflict, meshing first-person interviews with historical footage. Then it...
Medal of Honor
'Hell' to Save 10
Aug 1, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
Medal of Honor Recipient Endured 'Hell' to Save 10
James McCloughan honored for his bravery in Vietnam
- Saving a life may be a common bucket-list entry, but it's one that's rarely checked off. James McCloughan could've done so 10 times over two days in 1969. Ignoring his lieutenant's orders to evacuate Nui Yon Hill in Vietnam after shrapnel cut into his head and...
Remembering Sharon Lane:
Killed by Hostile Fire in Vietnam
May 28, 2017 5:13 PM CDT
Remembering Sharon Lane: Killed by Hostile Fire in Vietnam
She was a 25-year-old nurse
- Minutes before 6am, Army nurse Martha Green woke with a jolt to a thunderous explosion half a mile away. It was the steamy morning of June 8, 1969, and she was in her bed at Chu Lai base at the height of the Vietnam War. Green's husband returned with...
Decorated Vietnam Airman,
McCain's Cellmate Dies at 85
May 4, 2017 3:50 PM CDT
Decorated Vietnam Airman, McCain's Cellmate Dies at 85
Col. Leo Thorsness was awarded the Medal of Honor for his deeds
- Col. Leo Thorsness survived six years of captivity and torture at the "Hanoi Hilton," cellmates with John McCain. He died Thursday in Florida at the age of 85 from leukemia, the
New York Times
reports. With two Silver Stars, five Distinguished Flying Crosses, and the Medal of Honor,...
Vet Riding Horse Across US
Over Dad's Agent Orange Death
Apr 30, 2017 3:00 PM CDT
Vet Riding Horse Across US Over Dad's Agent Orange Death
Colt Romberger wants to call attention to chemical blamed in father's death
- The two things Colt Romberger and his father had most in common, the ones that made them best friends as well as father and son, were a deep affection for horses and an equally deep pride in having served their country in times of war. So when Cliff Romberger, a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Brooke Shields Blasts Barbara Walters for 1980 Interview
Before His Execution, Man Confessed to Another Murder
Suicide Pod Can Be Used in Switzerland
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
2 Die After Using Bed Rails
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.