Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This State Wants Roasted
Chiles to Be Its Official Aroma
Feb 3, 2023 11:41 AM CST
This State Wants Roasted Chiles to Be Its Official Aroma
New Mexico would be first state to have an affiliated scent
- Every fall, the air in New Mexico is infused with the sweet, smoky scent of roasted chile peppers, a tradition that follows chile harvesting season. Now, a bunch of fifth-graders have spearheaded a campaign to deem that salivation-inducing bouquet as the scent of the Land of Enchantment, making it the...
Only One US City
Makes Top 10
Dec 17, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Only One US City Makes Top 10 Travel Destinations
New York squeaks in at No. 10 on Euromonitor International's list; Paris comes in at No. 1
- Recovery from the pandemic for the travel industry is a work in progress, but inbound arrivals around the world increased by more than 80% this year in terms of numbers of trips, CNN notes. That means people are breaking out their passports again, and some cities are drawing travelers in...
Here Are the Most Overrated
Tourist Spots in the US
Nov 5, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Here Are the Most Overrated Tourist Spots in the US
Plus, 10 underrated gems, courtesy of HawaiianIslands.com
- Looking to book your next getaway and take in the sights? If you've ever been disappointed during past visits to American tourist magnets, you might want to check out HawaiianIsland.com's list . The site analyzed upward of 17,000 Tripadvisor reviews for destinations in all 50 states, searching...
Look at Titanic
Sep 6, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Footage Offers 'Unprecedented' Look at Titanic
First 8K video of shipwreck emerges; meanwhile, tourists are heading down to see it for $250K a pop
- An underwater tourism company has emerged with new footage of the wreckage of the RMS Titanic, and it's jaw-dropping in its clarity—the highest-quality recording of the ship since it sank during its 1912 maiden voyage. The haunting one-minute clip released to the public by OceanGate Expeditions, which has...
Mayor of Resort Town
Will Fine Bikini-Wearers
in case you missed it
Jul 16, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Mayor of Resort Town Will Fine Bikini-Wearers
At least, if they're walking around in Sorrento, Italy
- Tourists flock to the resort town of Sorrento, Italy, on the southwestern coast for its picturesque views. The mayor, however, is insisting that they cover up when they do so, reports Travel Weekly . Massimo Coppola has decreed that anyone walking around town in a bikini or without a shirt faces...
Arizona Town's Residents
Told to Stop Yelling at Tourists
Jul 15, 2022 9:24 AM CDT
Arizona Town's Residents Told to Stop Yelling at Tourists
Notes on cars are also a no-no, police in Jerome say
- Police in a old Arizona mining town that gets 1 million tourists annually are warning residents to stop yelling at visitors or they could face harassment charges. Jerome, population about 450, was once home to one of Arizona's largest copper mines and is now a hub for artists, the...
Opens Its Doors Again
Jun 10, 2022 6:12 AM CDT
Japan Cautiously Opens Its Doors Again
For now, only guided package tours will be allowed for foreign tourists
- Japan on Friday eased its borders for foreign tourists and began accepting visa applications, but only for those on guided package tours who are willing to follow mask-wearing and other anti-COVID measures as the country cautiously tries to balance business and infection worries. Friday is the first day to start...
Egypt's New Find Includes
May 30, 2022 2:30 PM CDT
Egypt's New Find Includes Well-Preserved Mummies
Recently unearthed antiquities date to 500 BC
- Egypt on Monday displayed a trove of ancient artifacts dating back 2,500 years that the country's antiquities authorities said were recently unearthed at the famed necropolis of Saqqara near Cairo. The artifacts were showcased at a makeshift exhibit at the feet of the Step Pyramid of Djoser in...
You Can Now Get Paid
to Get Married in Italy
Mar 1, 2022 1:57 PM CST
You Can Now Get Paid to Get Married in Italy
New initiative will refund couples $2,250 for Lazio-based wedding services in 2022
- The coronavirus pandemic has put a real damper on the wedding and tourism industries. But Italy is fighting back with a new $11 million initiative that aims to boost both industries while possibly funding your wedding. Any couple—Italian or foreign—who opt to marry or begin a civil union...
Shuttered in March 2020, Fiji
Celebrates a 'Momentous Day'
Dec 1, 2021 6:21 AM CST
Shuttered in March 2020, Fiji Celebrates a 'Momentous Day'
Fiji is once again open to tourists, for first time in nearly 2 years
- Since March 2020, the island nation of Fiji has had its doors shuttered to tourists, in an attempt to keep COVID from overwhelming the limited medical services available to its 1 million residents. On Wednesday, nearly two years after the tourism-dependent country's shutdown, locals once again started to welcome...
Wiped From Facebook, Vienna's
Nude Art Moves to OnlyFans
Oct 21, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Wiped From Facebook, Vienna's Nude Art Moves to OnlyFans
City's tourism board speaks out on social media censorship
- Have you checked out the Vienna tourism board's hot new account on adults-only OnlyFans? It's full of nudity, though of the century-old artistic kind. As the
reports, Vienna museums have come up against bans and other forms of censure after sharing nude artworks on more traditional social...
Canadian Luxury Train
Launches New US Route
Aug 16, 2021 12:44 PM CDT
Canadian Luxury Train Launches New US Route
Rocky Mountaineer now travels from Denver to Moab
- A new train service has arrived in the West but it's definitely not one for ordinary commuters—one-way tickets on the Rocky Mountaineer are $1,250 per person in SilverLeaf class and $1,645 in SilverLeaf Plus. The luxury service from the renowned Canadian company made its maiden voyage...
France to Open for Tourists,
With a Few Rules
Jun 4, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
France to Open for Tourists, With a Few Rules
Americans will find it easier to travel, though not everywhere in Europe
- France is ready to welcome back foreign tourists, the government announced Friday, provided they follow a few color-coded rules. Vaccinated visitors from Europe can arrive starting Wednesday, France 24 reports. So can travelers from the the orange-rated US and much of the rest of the world, who won't have...
Airline: We'll Tell You
Where You're Going,
Just Before You Land
Mar 3, 2021 9:45 AM CST
Airline: We'll Tell You Where You're Going, Just Before You Land
Qantas resumes 'mystery flights' for Australian passengers
- Australia's flag carrier has just the thing for people desperate to get away, so long as they don't care where they're going. In the hope of boosting the beleaguered tourism industry amid international travel restrictions, Qantas is asking Australian passengers to hop aboard one of three "...
New Zealand Has
Had It With Your
Jan 28, 2021 8:49 AM CST
New Zealand Has Had It With Your Instagram Shots
New tourism ad urges 'something new'
- First, New Zealand wanted to get on the map . Now, it's annoyed that travelers have flocked to its lookouts and lavender fields to post the same photos everyone else is sharing on social media. "People have been seeing those photos on social media, and they're going to...
Mexico's Tourism Agency
Is Not Having a Good Week
Aug 8, 2020 9:36 AM CDT
Mexico's Tourism Agency Is Not Having a Good Week
First came the travel warning from the US, then came the bizarre website errors
- It's been a bad week for Mexican tourism promotion, and it got worse Friday when the English-language version of the country’s tourism website appeared with hilarious mis-translations, per the AP . The Caribbean resort of Tulum somehow became “Jumpsuit" on VisitMexico.com. The central Mexican town of Aculco...
Flights to and
Jul 21, 2020 12:13 PM CDT
Island Bans Commercial Flights to and From US
Bahamas puts most Americans on the not-welcome list for the near future
- Three weeks after reopening its borders, the Bahamas is shutting them again—at least to most US travelers. Effective Wednesday, all commercial flights to the country will be halted except for those departing Canada, the UK, and the European Union, reports CNBC . Private international flights, pleasure craft, and yachts will...
Uzbekistan Makes Unusual
Offer to Coax Tourists
Jul 20, 2020 7:23 AM CDT
Uzbekistan Makes Unusual Offer to Coax Tourists
If you get COVID-19 while visiting, the country will pay you $3K
- The government of Uzbekistan is so sure of the hygiene and safety measures it's put in place to protect tourists against getting COVID-19 that "the president is prepared to put money where his mouth is." That's per a statement from the country's tourism ambassador to...
in UK, Doesn't
Want to Be
Feb 26, 2020 10:10 AM CST
Harry, Back in UK, Doesn't Want to Be Called 'Prince'
Just Harry, he requests at working summit for his sustainable travel initiative
- Just Harry, please: On his first trip back to the UK since he and wife Meghan agreed to the terms of their exit as senior royals, that's how Prince Harry asked to be introduced—Harry, minus the "prince." As
Good Morning America
reports, he also flew commercial...
Utah Wooed Tourists,
and Boy, Did They Swarm
Feb 4, 2020 7:47 AM CST
Utah Wooed Tourists, and Boy, Did They Swarm
'Outside' magazine looks at the resulting congestion in parks
- The ad was a "masterpiece," writes Mark Sundeen at
magazine. The 60-second spot in 2013 commissioned by Utah's Office of Tourism extolled the beauty of the "Mighty 5"—referring to the five national parks within the state's borders. Those would be Zion, Bryce...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.