Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Grocery Chain: Use
the Sniff Test on Milk
Jan 10, 2022 11:35 AM CST
Grocery Chain: Use the Sniff Test on Milk
UK's Morrisons does away with expiration dates to cut down on waste
- Maybe it's the start of a shift in labeling? A UK grocery chain is doing away with "use by" expiration dates for its milk, reports the BBC . Instead, Morrisons is encouraging people to use the good-old sniff test to make sure the stuff hasn't gone bad. The...
S. Korea Dairy Company Sorry
for Turning Women Into Cows
Dec 15, 2021 11:47 AM CST
S. Korea Dairy Company Sorry for Turning Women Into Cows
The advertisement for Seoul Milk wasn't well received
- "We are taking this matter seriously, and we will pay more attention and review to prevent similar problems in the future." It's a fairly standard corporate apology. What prompted South Korea's largest dairy company to issue it is a little less typical: an advertisement that critics...
Got Milk Controversy?
Nov 5, 2021 12:09 PM CDT
Got Milk Controversy? CNN Does
A Texas family's milk consumption was featured in a news segment on inflation; backlash followed
- The US economy continues to be a hot topic, especially as we head toward another winter still wrangling with COVID, and a CNN report this week tried to get to the heart of "how badly inflation is hitting the middle class." The five-minute segment intro'd by commentator...
'Got Milk?' Yes, You Do Again
Aug 3, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
'Got Milk?' Yes, You Do Again
Dairy industry's iconic ad campaign makes a comeback as milk sales shoot up during pandemic
- The dairy industry has a familiar question for you: “Got milk?” Six years after the popular tagline was retired, “Got milk?” ads are back. A group funded by the dairy industry is reviving it, hoping to prolong the boost milk has gotten during the pandemic. US milk sales...
'a New Low'
May 15, 2020 1:27 PM CDT
NYC MTA: TikTok Star's Subway Prank 'a New Low'
Josh Popkin's Fruity Pebbles-and-milk stunt didn't go over well
- A TikTok star caused quite a commotion on a New York City subway, and now he's facing quite a backlash. Per BuzzFeed , Josh Popkin, the 23-year-old also known as @fckjoshy, shared video on the social network showing him carrying a plastic bin filled with Fruity Pebbles and milk onto...
Dark Message to
Apr 14, 2020 8:27 AM CDT
Dark Message to Dairy Farmers: 'Start Dumping Your Milk'
With food supply chain in chaos, farmers can't get their perishable product to where it's got to go
- With schools and restaurants closed during the coronavirus pandemic, truck drivers afraid to transport product for fear of catching the virus, and exports slowing to a crawl, the dairy industry is taking a hit—and it's forcing farmers to trash their milk supply. "We need you to start...
Yes, This Is a Cow
in a VR Headset
Nov 27, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Yes, This Is a Cow in a VR Headset
Russian initiative says VR headsets reduce bovine anxiety, may boost milk production
- We imagine when cows dream, they must dream of lazily idling in sunny green pastures. On one Russian farm, a virtual reality experiment is being conducted in the hopes that such visions can help cows pump out more milk. The
reports that a regional agricultural administration has fitted...
Nov 12, 2019 4:05 PM CST
Nation's Biggest Milk Company Declares Bankruptcy
People aren't drinking nearly as much milk as they used to
- Got milk? Increasingly, Americans don't, and that led the nation's biggest milk producer to file for bankruptcy Tuesday. Dean Foods blamed a decadeslong drop in milk consumption that has seen people turn to alternatives like soda, juice and almond milk. The Dallas company said it may sell itself...
Milk in It
Aug 4, 2018 9:00 AM CDT
Almond Milk Recalled for Possibly Having Milk in It
Blue Diamond's Vanilla Almond Breeze may have been tainted in production 'failure'
- Many people who drink almond milk do so to avoid drinking cow's milk, which is why the FDA has been forced to issue a recall on more than 145,000 half-gallon cartons of "potentially compromised product," per Gizmodo . The affected product from HP Hood: Blue Diamond Vanilla...
Survey of US Teens Shows
Big Change in Milk Drinkers
Jun 14, 2018 2:05 PM CDT
Survey of US Teens Shows Big Change in Milk Drinkers
Less than a third drink a glass a day, down from about half 25 years ago
- Fewer US teens are smoking, having sex, and doing drugs these days. Oh, and they're drinking less milk, too. Less than one-third of high school students drink a glass of milk a day, according to a large government survey released Thursday. About two decades ago, it was nearly half....
Smithsonian Gets Shipped
Aardvark Milk Each Week
May 4, 2018 10:25 AM CDT
Smithsonian Gets Shipped Aardvark Milk Each Week
The milking itself is tricky business
- An aardvark in Cincinnati is sharing his mother's milk—with scientists in Washington. Ali the aardvark is mother to Winsol, who in late December became the zoo's first healthy aardvark newborn since 1994. Cincinnati Zoo staffers draw milk samples from the 13-year-old mom every Friday, then send them...
Researcher: Radioactive Milk
Killed Hordes of Americans
Dec 22, 2017 9:33 AM CST
Researcher: Radioactive Milk Killed Hordes of Americans
Keith Meyers argues the scale is like that of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- One estimate puts the number of American thyroid cancer deaths tied to our decade-plus of above-ground nuclear testing at 49,000. University of Arizona economist Keith Meyers argues the number of deaths could be 14 times higher. Quartz shares the results of his study , which revolves around milk: specifically, the...
17 Dead After
Poisons Husband's Milk
Nov 1, 2017 3:33 AM CDT
17 Dead After Woman Allegedly Poisons Husband's Milk
Police say she wanted to 'avenge' her forced marriage
- A 21-year-old woman in Pakistan has been charged with murder after police say she poisoned her husband's milk and ended up inadvertently killing 17 people, the AP reports. According to the
, Asiya Bibi (also reported as Aasia Bibi) was forced to marry a 25-year-old man against her will...
48% of US Adults
Aren't Sure Where
Jun 16, 2017 2:21 AM CDT
48% of US Adults Aren't Sure Where Chocolate Milk Comes From
According to a recent survey
- Today in mind-blowing statistics: A full 7% of American adults think chocolate milk comes from brown cows,
Food & Wine
reports. That figure comes from an Innovation Center for US Dairy survey of more than 1,000 people conducted in April. When extrapolated, it means approximately 16.4 million Americans—...
This Type of Milk
May Make Kids Taller
Jun 8, 2017 6:33 PM CDT
This Type of Milk May Make Kids Taller
Cow's milk is the winner; higher protein and fat likely the reason
- Does drinking milk make kids taller? If the milk comes from a cow, the answer may be yes, CBC News reports. A new study in the
American Journal of Clinical Nutrition
found that 3-year-olds who drank 3 cups of an alternative to cow's milk, such as soy, almond, or...
There's a Major
May 9, 2017 6:24 PM CDT
There's a Major Misconception About Dairy
It's not linked to increase in cardiovascular disease: study
- Gouda news for cheese lovers: Despite claims that the fatty treat does damage to your cardiovascular health, a review of 29 studies has found no evidence that full-fat dairy products like cheese and milk boost one's risk of death, heart attack, or stroke. While many dairy products are high...
Vegan Restaurant Bans
Bottle-Feeding Cow's Milk
Apr 3, 2017 7:32 PM CDT
Vegan Restaurant Bans Bottle-Feeding Cow's Milk
Customers react after sign on door asks parents to leave milk bottles at home
- A vegan restaurant in Spain has caused quite a ruckus by posting this on its door: “We like mothers, of all species. That’s why we don’t like bottle feeds based on cow’s milk. Please don’t use them in the restaurant.” According to
a Beef With
Mar 21, 2017 6:51 AM CDT
Florida Has a Beef With Creamery's 'Skim Milk'
Court rules skim milk is still skim milk without added vitamins
- A small, all-natural dairy isn't being deceptive when it calls its skim milk "skim milk," a federal appeals court ruled Monday in a victory for the creamery that's fighting the state's demand to label the product "imitation" because vitamins aren't added to it,...
You Could Be
Due a Refund
Jan 19, 2017 7:45 AM CST
Bought Milk? You Could Be Due a Refund
Class-action suit charged dairy producers killed 500K cows to boost prices
- If you live in one of 15 states and you buy milk, you could be entitled to some cash back.
reports that some people who bought dairy products since 2003 are due refunds as part of a $52 million settlement spun out of the alleged mass slaughter of...
FDA: Sorry, Camel Milk
Is No Miracle Cure
Jan 17, 2017 9:03 AM CST
FDA: Sorry, Camel Milk Is No Miracle Cure
California company gets a warning to tone down claims
- One of the latest, pricey health fads is camel milk, and the FDA has made clear that it's none too pleased. That's because California company Desert Farms has been boasting that its product can cure (or at least mitigate) all kinds of ailments, from allergies to Crohn's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.