Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nations, Church Decry Displays
of Anti-Semitism on Holiday
Nov 13, 2021 3:50 PM CST
Nations, Church Decry Displays of Anti-Semitism on Holiday
Polish nationalists shouted 'Death to Jews' during Independence Day celebrations
- Israeli and Polish government officials on Saturday condemned an antisemitic incident involving Polish nationalists chanting "Death to Jews" on Poland's Independence Day this week. Participants at the gathering also burned a copy of a medieval document that offered Jews protection and rights in Polish lands, the AP reports....
Belarus Ruler Threatens
to Turn Off Heat in Europe
Nov 11, 2021 6:40 PM CST
Belarus Ruler Threatens to Turn Off Heat in Europe
Natural gas pipeline runs through country from Russia
- Alexander Lukashenko stepped up tensions with Western nations on Thursday by saying he'd reach for the gas shutoff in the event more sanctions are imposed on Belarus. "We are heating Europe," Lukashenko said, the
reports. "They still threaten us that they will close the...
A Tense Situation Unfolds
at Poland's Border
Nov 8, 2021 10:40 AM CST
A Tense Situation Unfolds at Poland's Border
Masses of migrants from Belarus are trying to get in
- Poland has increased security at its border with Belarus, on the European Union's eastern border, after a large group of migrants in Belarus appeared to be congregating by the frontier seeking to try to force their way into Poland, per the AP . Video footage from Belarusian media showed people...
After Woman Dies
Nov 7, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Poland Instructs Obstetricians After Woman Dies
Officials act after widespread protests of new abortion restriction
: One day after nationwide protests over a new restriction in Poland's abortion law, health officials have told doctors they may legally end a pregnancy when the life or health of the mother is in danger. The Health Ministry made the announcement in the form of instructions to obstetricians,...
Doctors Wouldn't End Doomed
Pregnancy, and a Woman Died
Nov 2, 2021 6:29 PM CDT
Doctors Wouldn't End Doomed Pregnancy, and a Woman Died
Case puts Polish abortion law in the spotlight
- A Polish hospital said Tuesday that doctors and midwives did everything they could to save the lives of a pregnant woman and her fetus in a case that has put the spotlight on a new restriction on Poland's abortion law. The 30-year-old woman died of septic shock in her...
Thousands Back Migrants
Oct 17, 2021 2:15 PM CDT
Thousands Back Migrants
Families are camped out in the cold at Poland-Balarus border
- Thousands of protesters marched Sunday in two Polish cities in solidarity with migrants and asylum-seekers at the Poland-Belarus border who have been pushed back by Polish authorities. Several thousand people marched in Warsaw, and others protested in Krakow under the slogan "Stop torture at the border." Marchers accused...
Now Covers Auschwitz
Oct 6, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Antisemitic Graffiti Now Covers Auschwitz
9 barracks vandalized Tuesday with English, German slurs
- Antisemitic terms and other phrases denying the Holocaust appeared Tuesday on at least nine buildings at the site of the former Nazi German death camp Auschwitz, where at least 1.1 million prisoners died during the Holocaust, 90% of whom were Jews. The spray-painted graffiti was written in English and...
Polish Nun, Cardinal
Sep 12, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Church Beatifies Polish Nun, Cardinal
Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski fought communism, Mother Elzbieta Roza Czacka helped the blind
- Poland's top political leaders on Sunday attended the beatification of two revered figures of the Catholic Church—a cardinal who led resistance to communism and a blind nun who devoted her life to helping others who couldn't see. The celebration of Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski and Mother Elzbieta Roza...
Poland's Medical Workers
Call for Help
Sep 11, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
Poland's Medical Workers Call for Help
Staffs say they're overwhelmed, but talks with government go nowhere
- Large numbers of doctors, nurses, and other medical workers marched in Warsaw on Saturday for higher wages and an improvement in working conditions made more difficult by the coronavirus pandemic. Poland's health care sector was strapped for funds even before the pandemic, and low wages drove many medical workers...
Asphalt Is Now a Thing
Aug 26, 2021 7:10 PM CDT
Floral-Scented Asphalt Is Now a Thing
Road builders have Poland's Budimex to thank
- Construction workers know the stench of hot asphalt all too well, and it doesn’t smell like roses. Or does it? Polish construction firm Budimex says it's teamed up with refiner Lotos to create a floral-scented asphalt more pleasing to road builders. Added to the typical bitumen recipe are...
Fleeing the Games, Sprinter
Made a Last-Minute Switch
Aug 4, 2021 7:39 AM CDT
Fleeing the Games, Sprinter Made a Last-Minute Switch
Wary of security, Belarus sprinter changed flight plans from Warsaw to Vienna at last minute
- Change of travel plans for Krystsina Tsimanouskaya—she's headed to Vienna instead of Warsaw, at least initially. The
reports on the continuing drama swirling around the 24-year-old Olympic sprinter, who boarded a plane bound for Poland on Wednesday, less than three days after Belarus authorities took her...
Poland Grants Visa to Runner
Afraid to Return to Belarus
Aug 2, 2021 2:04 PM CDT
Poland Grants Visa to Runner Afraid to Return to Belarus
Krystsina Tsimanouskaya's husband has now fled the country
- Poland granted a visa Monday to a Belarusian Olympic sprinter who said she feared for her safety and that her team’s officials tried to force her to fly home, where the autocratic government was accused of diverting a flight to arrest a dissident journalist. An activist group that is...
6 Swimmers Told to Go Home
After Arriving at Olympics
Jul 21, 2021 2:33 PM CDT
6 Swimmers Told to Go Home After Arriving at Olympics
Poland's swimming federation mistakenly sent too many athletes to Japan
- Being told you haven't qualified for the Olympic team is a tough blow for any athlete. But for six members of Poland's swimming team, it was all the more devastating because they had already taken the Olympic oath and traveled to Japan. The six swimmers flew back to...
Surprise Discovery of Coins
May Be Old Viking Ransom
Jul 13, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Surprise Discovery of Coins May Be Old Viking Ransom
Money was paid to avoid a sack of Paris, and the coins were found in a Polish field
- Last fall, metal detectorists turned up some old coins in a Polish field. Now, what had at first seemed like a not-so-surprising find has the potential to be quite the opposite, reports the
New York Times
. Archaeologists have since found nearly 120 silver coins at the location near the town...
Palace Where Enigma Codes
Were Cracked to Return to Life
Jul 7, 2021 12:38 PM CDT
Palace Where Enigma Codes Were Cracked to Return to Life
The Nazis destroyed the Saski Palace in 1944
- Poland is reviving plans to reconstruct a historic Warsaw palace where the German Enigma machine codes were first cracked in 1932 and that Nazi German occupying forces blew up in 1944. In a ceremony Wednesday at the site where the Saski Palace stood, President Andrzej Duda handed a law drafted...
Over Auschwitz Review
May 7, 2021 12:17 PM CDT
TripAdvisor Apologizes Over Auschwitz Review
Museum complained about insensitive post, and the travel website eventually agreed
- TripAdvisor has removed an insensitive review of the Auschwitz Museum after initially saying it complied with its submission guidelines, per the AP . The museum at the site of the Nazi concentration camp in Poland on Thursday tweeted that it had asked the Massachusetts-based travel website to take down a review...
Drama Over Decision to Pull
Flag During Checkers Game
Apr 30, 2021 10:49 AM CDT
Drama Over Decision to Pull Flag During Checkers Game
Kremlin says Russian flag removal cost Tamara Tansykkuzhina the game
- Under a World Anti-Doping Agency ruling , Russian athletes are banned from competing under their national flag until 2022—and that applies to checkers players too. The rule caused what the BBC calls a "diplomatic incident" this week when a Polish official removed the Russian checker player's flag from...
Poland Fights Holocaust Finding
Mar 29, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Poland Fights Holocaust Finding
'Memory wars' rage over role in the killing of Jews
- The US isn't the only nation fighting over competing versions of its past. While political and educational arguments rage over the 1619 Project , Poland's internal struggle over the Holocaust has resurfaced in a court case involving a recent academic history, Masha Gessen writes in a
He Called Poland's President
a 'Moron,' Now Faces Prison
Mar 23, 2021 11:51 AM CDT
He Called Poland's President a 'Moron,' Now Faces Prison
Writer Jakub Zulczyk apparently violated article making it a crime to insult the head of state
- A popular Polish writer is facing a potential sentence of up to three years in prison for calling the nation's president a "moron" on social media, per the AP . Jakub Zulczyk had criticized the manner in which Polish President Andrzej Duda—a close ally of former President Trump—...
Poland Bars Gay
People From Adopting
Mar 11, 2021 4:35 PM CST
Poland Bars Gay People From Adopting
Nation is closing a loophole
- Poland is doubling down on its anti-gay policies despite pushback from the European Union. The government said Thursday that it would close a loophole and ensure that no gay people will be allowed to adopt a child, reports Reuters . Current Polish law prohibits gay couples from adopting, but some homosexuals...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Backlash, Rittenhouse's Student Status Changes
CNN Suspends Chris Cuomo Indefinitely
3 Dead, 6 Injured in Michigan School Shooting
FTC Orders Walmart, Amazon to Explain 'Sky-High Prices'
Clarence Thomas' Long Fight Reaches Its 'Zenith'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.