Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 244,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
N. Korea: Trump Wrote, Wants to Help With Virus
As Kim fires off missiles anew
- President Trump sent a personal letter to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, seeking to maintain good relations and offering cooperation in fighting the viral pandemic, Kim’s sister said Sunday. The correspondence came as Kim observed the firing of tactical guided weapons over the weekend, drawing criticism from South...
N. Korea Fires Weapons After Threat of 'Momentous Action'
Japan says at least 3 ballistic missiles were fired
- North Korea fired three short-range projectiles off its east coast on Monday, South Korea’s military said, two days after the North threatened to take “momentous” action to protest outside condemnation over its earlier live-fire exercises. Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the three launches were made from...
Kim Jong Un's Sister Issues Biting First Statement
Kim Yo Jong's words are for South Korea
- It's the first statement she has ever issued, and it's harsh. Kim Yo Jong is both Kim Jong Un's sister and a close aide, and she didn't hold back in her Tuesday statement directed at South Korea, which had the day prior chided the North for...
North Korea Fires Unidentified Projectiles
Coronavirus may have caused lull in testing
- North Korea fired two unidentified projectiles into its eastern sea on Monday, having apparently resumed weapons demonstrations after a months-long hiatus that could have been forced by the coronavirus crisis in Asia. The launches came two days after North Korea’s state media said leader Kim Jong Un supervised an...
North Korea's Purebred Horses Aren't Home Grown
Customs data shows the country imported a dozen last year
- An odd footnote to the story of Kim Jong Un's 2019 rides up a snowy sacred mountain on a white horse: It turns out North Korea imported 12 purebred horses from Russia in October, the same month as Kim's first ride. Reuters reports that customs data shows the...
Kim Jong Un's Aunt Makes Appearance, Ending Rumors
Kim Kyong Hui hadn't been seen in years, and some thought she'd been executed
- She was once an influential figure in North Korea, but Kim Kyong Hui hadn't been seen in public in six years. However, the aunt of Kim Jong Un just made a public appearance, putting an end to rumors she had been executed after her nephew came to power, reports...
Trump Sent Kim a Birthday Note. Kim Remains Unmoved
Adviser to Kim Jong Un says North Korea feels 'deceived by the US,' nuclear talks unlikely
- Everyone appreciates a birthday card, and Kim Jong Un is likely no exception, but that doesn't mean President Trump's well wishes to the North Korean leader have cleared the path for more nuclear negotiations between Pyongyang and the US. Per CNN , a top adviser to Kim said via...
Kim Threatens 'Shocking' Action
And says North Korea will soon show new strategic weapon
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un accused the Trump administration of dragging its feet in nuclear negotiations and warned that his country will soon show a new strategic weapon to the world as it bolsters its nuclear deterrent in the face of “gangster-like” US pressure. In a key ruling...
Kim Says N. Korea Needs to Take 'Offensive Measures'
He may be hinting at a resumption of nuclear testing
- The start of the year 2020—or, in North Korea, the year 109—is approaching and observers fear Kim Jong Un might be planning something big. According to North Korean state media, the dictator told a meeting of the ruling Workers' Party Central Committee on Sunday that North Korea needs...
'Ghost Ship' Comes Ashore Carrying Human Heads
Japanese officials suspect they know where it came from
- A shipwreck on the coast of Japan carried grisly cargo: five human bodies and two human heads, Sky News reports. Police apparently found the boat Saturday on Sado Island, about 31 miles northwest of the mainland, and are investigating the cause of death. "Five of the bodies were identified...
Just After Midnight, NK 'Gift' Was Sent. Except It Wasn't
Public broadcaster NHK sent out incorrect report that North Korea had launched a missile
- North Korea's " Christmas gift " to the US never came (at least that we know of), but a news alert sent in Japan early Friday temporarily scared people into thinking the gift had been delivered. Reuters reports that a few minutes after midnight, public broadcaster NHK put out...
Could N. Korea's 'Christmas Gift' Be on the Way?
Signs of activity at long-range missile site
- North Korea is undergoing a flurry of activity around the holidays, but predictably not of the merry variety: "There is activity at a number of locations indicating that North Korea is laying the groundwork for an expansion of their ICBM program—more systems, more buildings, more capabilities," Jeffrey...
North Korea: 'Rocket Man' Lived Up to His Nickname
Pyongyang says its latest missile test was 'crucial'
- North Korea has done it again, or so it says. Pyongyang announced Saturday it had conducted a "crucial test" at its site for long-range rockets—an apparent chess move with Washington amid their stalled denuclearization talks, NBC News reports. The Korean Central News Agency didn't provide details or...
N. Korea: Trump Is an 'Erratic Old Man'
He's also 'bereft of patience'
- North Korea insulted President Trump again on Monday, saying his tweets clearly show he's an irritated old man "bereft of patience." Per ex-nuclear negotiator Kim Yong Chol, "[Trump] is such a heedless and erratic old man, the time when we cannot but call him a '...
North Korea Conducts 'Very Important Test'
Dec. 31 deadline is looming
- North Korea said Sunday that it carried out a “very important test” at its long-range rocket launch site that it reportedly rebuilt after having partially dismantled it at the start of denuclearization talks with the United States last year. The announcement comes amid dimming prospects for a resumption of...
North Korean Test Site Doesn't Look Dismantled Anymore
Activity increases at station Trump said was being idled
- After President Trump met with Kim Jong Un in Singapore, he announced that the North Korean dictator seemed to be keeping his promise by dismantling the Sohae Satellite Launching Station. "And we appreciate that," Trump said, per CNN . Now, expert analysis of a satellite image obtained by CNN...
Kim's Symbolic Horse Ride Suggests Big Decision Is Near
Trip up sacred peak comes ahead of nuke deadline
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un rode a white horse up a sacred mountain on his second symbolic visit in less than two months , state media reported Wednesday, as his country is threatening provocation if the United States refuses to make concessions in nuclear diplomacy by year’s end. The...
North Korea Promises 'Christmas Gift' for US
What it is depends on US actions: official
- North Korea says the US could be in for an unpleasant Christmas gift unless denuclearization talks move forward. The veiled threat came Tuesday as Pyongyang denounced little progress in discussions with Washington, reports CNBC . Calls for a "sustained and substantial dialogue" are "nothing but a foolish trick" serving...
OK: Giving a Talk on Cryptocurrency. Not OK: Giving It in N. Korea
Computer scientist Virgil Griffith arrested in LA, accused of helping Pyongyang evade sanctions
- His seminar was entitled "Blockchain and Peace," but US authorities didn't find anything peaceful about it. Now Virgil Griffith, a 36-year-old described by the
Los Angeles Times
as a "rabble-rousing computer scientist," has been arrested, taken into custody at LAX on Thursday by FBI agents...
N. Korea Boasts About 'Super-Large' Rocket Launcher
Weapons system may be deployed soon
- North Korea said Friday the latest test-firing of its "super-large" multiple rocket launcher was a final review of the weapon’s combat application, a suggestion that the country is preparing to deploy the new weapons system soon. South Korea’s military earlier said North Korea fired two projectiles , likely...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Costco Draws the Line on Customers
Engineer Tries to Crash Train Into Hospital Ship
Treasury Does 180 on Stimulus Funds for One Set of Americans
A New Worry Emerges on Coronavirus Tests
Governor's Statement Causes Some Double Takes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.