Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
North Korea Fires More Missiles
Sep 15, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
North Korea Fires More Missiles
Latest provocative move from Pyongyang defies UN resolutions
- North Korea fired two ballistic missiles toward the sea in defiance of UN resolutions, the second weapons test in several days that experts say shows it’s pressing ahead with its arms build-up plans while nuclear diplomacy with the United States remains stalled. South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff...
N. Korea Launches
Long-Range Cruise Missiles
Sep 13, 2021 2:22 AM CDT
N. Korea Launches Long-Range Cruise Missiles
Japan 'extremely concerned'
- North Korea says it successfully test fired newly developed long-range cruise missiles over the weekend, its first known testing activity in months, underscoring how it continues to expand its military capabilities amid a stalemate in nuclear negotiations with the United States. The Korean Central News Agency said Monday the cruise...
Kim Jong Un Is
Suddenly Looking Svelte
Sep 9, 2021 12:40 PM CDT
Kim Jong Un Is Suddenly Looking Svelte
North Korean leader's weight loss does not go unnoticed at military parade
- The big source of attention at a military parade in North Korea on Thursday wasn't weaponry, it was the physical appearance of leader Kim Jong Un. The 37-year-old looked noticeably thinner while sporting a new haircut (perhaps a nod to his grandfather) and a tan, reports Bloomberg . Kim also...
N. Korea Military Parade
Features Anti-COVID Units
Sep 9, 2021 7:24 AM CDT
N. Korea Military Parade Features Anti-COVID Units
Annual event was unusually toned-down, analysts say
- Civil defense forces carrying rifles and personnel wearing gas masks and red hazmat suits paraded North Korea’s capital overnight in a celebration of the nation’s 73rd anniversary that was a marked departure from past militaristic displays. The parade—overseen by leader Kim Jong Un, wearing a cream suit...
N. Korea Pays Piper
Over Its Olympic No-Show
Sep 9, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
N. Korea Pays Piper Over Its Olympic No-Show
Pyongyang is suspended from Beijing Olympics for skipping out on Tokyo Games over COVID
- North Korea was formally suspended from the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics by the IOC on Wednesday as punishment for refusing to send a team to the Tokyo Games citing the COVID-19 pandemic. IOC president Thomas Bach said the North Korean national Olympic body will also now forfeit money it was...
North Korea Turns Down
the Vaccines It's Offered
Sep 3, 2021 7:06 AM CDT
North Korea Turns Down the Vaccines It's Offered
Analysts suspect Kim is holding out for Pfizer
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ordered officials to wage a tougher epidemic prevention campaign in "our style" after he turned down some foreign COVID-19 vaccines offered via the UN-backed immunization program. During a Politburo meeting Thursday, Kim said officials must "bear in mind that tightening epidemic prevention...
News on N. Korea's
Aug 30, 2021 2:15 AM CDT
Report Holds 'Deeply Troubling' News on N. Korea's Nuclear Reactor
Yongbyon nuclear reactor, inactive since 2018, seems to have been restarted
- North Korea appears to have restarted the operation of its main nuclear reactor used to produce weapons fuels, the UN atomic agency said, as the North openly threatens to enlarge its nuclear arsenal amid long-dormant nuclear diplomacy with the United States. The annual report by the International Atomic Energy Agency...
5 Fascinating Places
in case you missed it
Aug 15, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
5 Fascinating Places You're Prohibited From Visiting
Business Insider rounds up unique, forbidden places around the world
- You may be looking for a remote spot, far from people, for your next travel destination. But Business Insider wants to remind you that some far-off places are better left alone—particularly if you want to avoid charges or, worse, death. Five unique, forbidden places:
Kim's Sister Issues Warning
Over US-South Korea Drills
Aug 10, 2021 4:09 PM CDT
Kim's Sister Issues Warning Over US-South Korea Drills
Pyongyang has stopped answering hotline
- The annual US-South Korean military drills have been scaled back and are now almost entirely computer simulations—but Pyongyang is still furious. Kim Yo Jong, sister of dictator Kim Jong Un, described the exercises as "perfidious behavior" that will cause the US and South Korea to face a "...
North Korea Giving Its People
Rice Reserved for Wartime Use
Aug 4, 2021 8:04 AM CDT
North Korea Giving Its People Rice Reserved for Wartime Use
So says South Korea’s spy agency
- North Korea is releasing emergency military rice reserves as its food shortage worsens, South Korea’s spy agency said Tuesday, with a heat wave and drought reducing the country’s supply. North Korea’s reported food problems come as its moribund economy continues to be battered by the protracted COVID-19...
Kim Jong Un Seen With
Weird Spot on Head
Aug 3, 2021 6:09 PM CDT
Kim Jong Un Seen With Weird Spot on Head
Images cause more speculation about North Korean dictator's health
- North Korea-watchers often find it difficult to determine what might be going on inside North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un's head—and lately, they've been puzzled by what's happening on the outside of it. At meetings in recent days, Kim has been seen with a large green...
'Big Stride' Made in
Relationship Between Koreas
Jul 27, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
'Big Stride' Made in Relationship Between Koreas
Nations restore dormant communication channels after letters between Kim Jong Un, Moon Jae-in
- North and South Korea exchanged messages Tuesday in communication channels that have been dormant for more than a year and agreed to improve ties—positive steps, but ones that still leave any resumption of stalled negotiations to rid the North of its nuclear weapons a long way off. Liaison officials...
North Korea Has a
Weird New Crackdown
Jul 19, 2021 4:02 AM CDT
North Korea Has a Weird New Crackdown
Pyongyang has a problem with citizens using South Korean slang
- In the wake of a new law banning skinny jeans , mullets , and other trends from Western culture, North Korea on Sunday warned citizens against using slang from South Korea. Along with the fashions, hairstyles, and music of South Korea, slang from the country is banned under the new law, violations...
North Korea Is Rejecting
Offers of COVID Vaccines
Jul 8, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
North Korea Is Rejecting Offers of COVID Vaccines
S. Korea intelligence agency says there is no sign leader has been vaccinated
- North Korea has been rejecting donations of COVID vaccines from other countries and Kim Jong Un himself may still be unvaccinated, according to South Korea's spy agency. South Korean legislators say the National Intelligence Service told lawmakers Thursday that there is no sign the leader has been vaccinated and...
The Bank Was on Jupiter St.
That Fact Ruined Their Plot
Jul 5, 2021 1:00 AM CDT
The Bank Was on Jupiter St. That Fact Ruined Their Plot
BBC explains how a North Korean hack was foiled because street name set off alarms
- Remember the giant hack of Sony Pictures in 2014? A lengthy piece from the BBC makes the case that it was merely a "dry run" for a much larger hack two years later, one resulting in perhaps the most brazen bank heist in history. The FBI has long blamed...
Kim Jong Un
Jun 30, 2021 6:46 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un Warns of 'Great Crisis' After COVID Lapses
North Korean leader does not specify what happened
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un berated top officials for failures in coronavirus prevention that caused a “great crisis,” using strong language that raised the specter of a mass outbreak in a country that would be scarcely able to handle it. The state media report Wednesday did not...
'Emaciated' Kim Jong Un Is
Allegedly Worrying N. Koreans
Jun 28, 2021 9:39 AM CDT
'Emaciated' Kim Jong Un Is Allegedly Worrying N. Koreans
So says a report from state TV
- Heartbroken North Koreans have been worrying tearfully about leader Kim Jong Un's "emaciated looks," state media quoted a local resident as saying, in a rare acknowledgement of foreign speculation about his weight loss. Some experts say the comments were seen as an effort to boost domestic support...
North Korea Gives
All-Clear on New Cases
Jun 22, 2021 5:06 PM CDT
North Korea Gives All-Clear on New Cases
Experts are skeptical all 30,000 people tested were free of infection
- North Korea has informed the World Health Organization that it tested more than 30,000 people for the coronavirus through June 10 but has yet to find a single infection. The WHO said in a monitoring report Tuesday that North Korea's testing figures included 733 people who were tested...
Kim Jong Un's Sister:
Talks With US Won't Resume
Jun 22, 2021 1:35 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un's Sister: Talks With US Won't Resume
Kim Yo Jong warns of 'disappointment'
- The powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un dismissed prospects for early resumption of diplomacy with the United States, saying Tuesday the US expectations for talks would “plunge them into a greater disappointment.” Kim Yo Jong issued the statement after US National Security adviser Jake Sullivan...
Kim Orders North Korea
to Prepare to Confront US
Jun 18, 2021 4:57 AM CDT
Kim Orders North Korea to Prepare to Confront US
Dictator said dialogue is also a possibility
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ordered his government to be prepared for both dialogue and confrontation with the Biden administration—but more for confrontation, state media reported Friday, days after the United States and others urged the North to abandon its nuclear program and return to talks. Kim’s...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Things Got Ugly After Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
Trump Mocks Biden in Speech at Arizona Rally
Bob Saget Widow Breaks Silence After Star's Death
Transportation CEO Steps In Front of Train to His Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.