Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
South Carolina River Cleanup
Makes Surprising Civil War Find
in case you missed it
Nov 18, 2023 12:10 PM CST
South Carolina River Cleanup Makes Surprising Civil War Find
Hundreds of relics uncovered from Sherman's March to the Sea
- Hundreds of Civil War relics were unearthed during the cleanup of a South Carolina river where Union troops dumped Confederate military equipment to deliver a demoralizing blow for rebel forces in the birthplace of the secessionist movement. As the AP reports, the artifacts were discovered while crews removed tar-like material...
Unpublished Lincoln Letter
About DC Defenses to Be Sold
Jul 5, 2023 4:36 PM CDT
Unpublished Lincoln Letter About DC Defenses to Be Sold
President answered request for larger civil engineer corps
- More than 160 years after it was written, a letter from President Abraham Lincoln sent during the Civil War has been discovered. Nathan Raab, a collector of Civil War artifacts, plans to put the letter up for sale , saying there's no record that it's ever been published or...
GOP Governor Nixes
'Relic of the Confederacy'
May 20, 2021 7:57 AM CDT
GOP Governor Nixes 'Relic of the Confederacy'
Larry Hogan approves repeal of Maryland's Civil War-era state song, which refers to 'Northern scum'
- Since 1939, "Maryland, My Maryland" has served as Maryland's state song, but its 82-year-old reign has just come to an end. On Tuesday, Gov. Larry Hogan OKed a repeal of the Civil War-era tune after a longtime bipartisan effort to nix it over its controversial lyrics—including referring...
Discovered in Maryland
Mar 28, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
Explosive History Discovered in Maryland
It was found near the Monocacy Battlefield
- “It could have easily killed someone or multiple people if mishandled.” That’s what Oliver Alkire, a deputy state fire marshal in Maryland, had to say about a piece of unexploded Civil War-era ordnance discovered in Frederick County, CNN reports. A resident got in touch with state authorities...
Civil War Widow Kept
Her Secret for Decades
Jan 8, 2021 12:30 AM CST
Civil War Widow Kept Her Secret for Decades
As a teenager, Helen Viola Jackson married a 93-year-old veteran
- Helen Viola Jackson's 1936 marriage to James Bolin was unusual, to say the least: He was 93 and in declining health, and she was a 17-year-old schoolgirl. Bolin was also a Civil War veteran who fought for the Union in the border state of Missouri. Jackson was almost certainly...
President's Hair, Bloody
Telegram Up for Auction
Aug 29, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
President's Hair, Bloody Telegram Up for Auction
Abraham Lincoln's hair is expected to fetch at least $75K
- This is one macabre auction: A lock of Abraham Lincoln's hair, wrapped in a bloodstained telegram about his 1865 assassination, is up for sale, the AP reports. Boston-based RR Auction said bidding has opened online for the items ahead of a live auction scheduled for Sept. 12 in New...
Tied to Civil War
Has Been Paid Out
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Last Pension Tied to Civil War Has Been Paid Out
Irene Triplett, last child of Civil War veteran getting a pension, has died at 90
- The word "mind-bending" features in the
Wall Street Journal
's obituary on Irene Triplett and her place in history, with good reason. The 90-year-old died Sunday in a Wilkesboro, NC, nursing home, bringing an end to the final pension that had been paid out in connection with the...
Another Big Statue
Will Fall: Report
Jun 3, 2020 5:54 PM CDT
Another Big Statue Will Fall: Report
Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam plans to have statue of Robert E. Lee taken down
- Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is expected to announce plans Thursday for the removal of an iconic statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee from Richmond's prominent Monument Avenue, a senior administration official told the AP . The governor will direct the statue to be moved off its massive pedestal and...
Someone Tried to Recycle
a Civil War Cannonball
May 21, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Someone Tried to Recycle a Civil War Cannonball
Michigan's Kent County recycling center evacuated Tuesday
- "DO NOT RECYCLE CANNONBALLS." That was the message from a county commissioner in Michigan on Tuesday after a Kent County resident tried to, well, recycle a cannonball. Grand Rapids police evacuated the county recycling center just after noon Tuesday after finding a live cannonball believed to have a...
Civil War Fades as an Attraction
May 27, 2019 4:04 PM CDT
Civil War Fades as an Attraction
Museums and sites seek broader audience
- Museums and historical sites are making changes to appeal to a broader audience in the face of declining interest in the Civil War. Data from the National Park Service shows that its five major Civil War battlefield parks drew 3.1 million visitors in 2018, down from about 10.2...
She Sold Her Family
Home. She Didn't
Know About the
May 24, 2019 10:52 AM CDT
She Sold Her Family Home. She Didn't Know About the Secret Safe
Now, legal wrangling over the Civil War-era gold certificates found inside that are worth millions
- A story out of New Jersey has both legal experts and Reddit threads buzzing , and has spurred both a civil lawsuit and a criminal trial. It involves a secret safe hidden under the basement stairs of an Asbury Park home once owned by Elaine Palmer, who died in 2004, and...
FBI: No Civil War Gold Here.
Treasure Hunters: Oh Yeah?
Oct 10, 2018 5:47 AM CDT
FBI: No Civil War Gold Here. Treasure Hunters: Oh Yeah?
Father-son team think the agency secretly grabbed up to $250M worth of the precious metal in Pa.
- The father-son duo of Dennis and Kem Parada spent years combing a bit of Pennsylvania wilderness with high-end metal detectors to prospect for a fabled cache of Civil War gold. They felt certain they'd found the hiding place, but at the end of the court-sanctioned excavation, the FBI in...
Civil-War Time Capsule
Unearthed in New Orleans
Aug 3, 2018 4:10 PM CDT
Civil-War Time Capsule Unearthed in New Orleans
Confederate bills and a Louisiana medal are among the damp items
- Turn-of-the-century tour books, lots of Confederate cash, a post-Civil War medal from a Union veterans' group, and a flag too tattered by time to tell whether it was US or Confederate were among items removed Friday from a 1913 time capsule buried beneath a Confederate monument in New Orleans, the...
First Civil War
'Limb Pit' Is
Jun 20, 2018 8:50 AM CDT
First Civil War 'Limb Pit' Is Excavated
Find at Manassas National Battlefield Park reveals the aftermath of battle
- A utility crew working at Virginia's Manassas National Battlefield Park unearthed what at first just seemed like portions of bone. Then came more bones, so far 11 limbs in all, nearly all of them leg bones. Now, thanks to help from forensic anthropologists at the Smithsonian's National Museum...
Apr 18, 2018 5:15 PM CDT
Republicans Punish Memphis for Removing Confederate Statues
- The Republican-dominated House in Tennessee voted Tuesday to punish the city of Memphis for removing Confederate monuments by taking $250,000 away from the city that would have been used for a bicentennial celebration next year, the AP reports. Rep. Antonio Parkinson began to call the amendment vile and racist...
Legendary Lost Gold
May Have Been Found
in case you missed it
Mar 24, 2018 1:49 PM CDT
Legendary Lost Gold May Have Been Found
FBI overseeing dig in Pennsylvania, where a Civil War fortune might be buried
- It's the stuff of legend: A wagon from the Union Army supposedly lost a huge cache of gold bars while en route from Wheeling, West Virginia, to the US Mint in Philadelphia in 1863. More than 150 years later, the FBI is overseeing a dig in a Pennsylvania state...
We Masked Death's
Smell With Candles.
Then Lincoln Died
Nov 11, 2017 10:33 AM CST
We Masked Death's Smell With Candles. Then Lincoln Died
Brian Walsh argues we switched to embalming because of the late president
- Abraham Lincoln is famous for many things, and in a piece for the Conversation , Elon University assistant professor Brian Walsh argues the 16th president's list of accomplishments should be longer by one. He writes that America's embrace of embalming our dead should be credited in part to Lincoln....
Kelly Was 'Stupid' About the
Civil War. You Don't Have to Be
Nov 1, 2017 4:04 PM CDT
Kelly Was 'Stupid' About the Civil War. You Don't Have to Be
Ta-Nehisi Coates recommends 5 books to make you 'unstupid'
- John Kelly, President Trump's chief of staff, said Monday that "the lack of an ability to compromise led to the Civil War." It was, as Ta-Nehisi Coates writes in the
, "an incredibly stupid thing to say" and "built on a long tradition of endorsing...
Coates: It's 'Shocking' Kelly
Is So Ignorant on Civil War
Oct 31, 2017 1:10 PM CDT
Coates: It's 'Shocking' Kelly Is So Ignorant on Civil War
Writer rebuts White House chief of staff's assertion that inability to compromise caused it
- White House chief of staff John Kelly has been taking criticism over comments he made about the Civil War, mainly because he said the war was caused by "the lack of an ability to compromise" and made no mention of slavery. Now, Ta-Nehisi Coates has issued a rebuttal in...
John Kelly Taking Flak
Over Civil War Comments
Oct 31, 2017 4:03 AM CDT
John Kelly Taking Flak Over Civil War Comments
'The lack of an ability to compromise led to the Civil War'
- White House chief of staff John Kelly, generally viewed as the man whose mission is to keep controversy at bay, finds himself caught up in another one . Kelly is taking flak for his comments about the Civil War, made Monday night on the debut of Laura Ingraham's show on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
6 Teens Guilty for Role in Teacher's Beheading
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Actor Hit Big With Love Story
U Penn President Steps Down After Outcry
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.