Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Richard Branson: Cut
Speed Limits to Beat Putin
Apr 21, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
Richard Branson: Cut Speed Limits to Beat Putin
'Importing Russian oil and gas is funding Putin’s war and has got to stop immediately'
- Sir Richard Branson, who has broken world speed records in boats and balloons and beat Jeff Bezos to space last year, isn't a man normally known for advocating slower speeds—but he says it could be the key to defeating Vladimir Putin. The billionaire says the world needs to...
Shatner: Prince William
Is 'Lovely' but Wrong
Oct 15, 2021 6:55 AM CDT
Shatner: Prince William Is 'Lovely' but Wrong
He says Blue Origin voyages are 'baby steps' toward greater things after prince's criticism
: William Shatner says Prince William is a "lovely, gentle, educated man"—but he's got the "wrong idea" about space tourism. After the prince said the world's greatest minds should focus on fixing problems on Earth, Shatner told
that trips like his Wednesday...
FAA Is Investigating
Branson's Space Flight
Sep 2, 2021 11:48 AM CDT
FAA Is Investigating Branson's Space Flight
Trip veered off course, but Virgin Galactic insists there was no danger
- Richard Branson famously became the first billionaire to rocket into space, just ahead of Jeff Bezos, but it seems that Branson's flight was a little rockier than first thought. Now the FAA is taking a closer look at what transpired on the Virgin Galactic trip, reports the
Astronaut? Not So Fast,
FAA Tells Bezos
Jul 24, 2021 8:51 AM CDT
Astronaut? Not So Fast, FAA Tells Bezos
Rule may exclude billionaire from high-flying club
- Jeff Bezos may have reached outer space, but the billionaire may never get to be officially dubbed an astronaut. Per BBC , the FAA announced its Commercial Astronaut Wings program the same day Bezos boarded his Blue Origin spaceship trained on the outer reaches of Earth's atmosphere. But rather than...
Bezos Touches Down
After Trip to Space
Jul 20, 2021 8:15 AM CDT
Bezos Touches Down After Trip to Space
He and 3 passengers lifted off on Blue Origin's debut flight
- Billionaire No. 2 has completed his trip to space. Jeff Bezos and three passengers blasted off on Tuesday from Texas aboard a Blue Origin rocket and returned safely about 10 minutes later. The flight, another crucial test for space tourism, follows the feat of Richard Branson . As the AP notes,...
Richard Branson Got to Space.
Now Comes the Hard Part
Jul 12, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Richard Branson Got to Space. Now Comes the Hard Part
Entrepreneur has to show space tourism is a viable business
- Richard Branson blasted off into space on Sunday and returned safe and sound, but the
Wall Street Journal
reports that perhaps a bigger challenge for Branson's Virgin Galactic company still lies ahead: Can it make space tourism a viable business? Jeff Bezos, of course, hopes to do the same...
3am Visitor Before
Jul 12, 2021 1:25 AM CDT
Richard Branson's 3am Visitor Before Space Flight: Elon Musk
Tesla founder stopped by Branson's kitchen
- Richard Branson got a visit from another billionaire in the wee hours of Sunday, just before his historic trip to space: Elon Musk. The Virgin Group founder tweeted a photo of himself with the (barefoot) Tesla founder two hours before the flight launched,
reports. Branson later explained at...
Branson Earns His Wings,
Returns After Reaching Space
Jul 11, 2021 11:06 AM CDT
Branson Earns His Wings, Returns After Reaching Space
70-year-old tops Jeff Bezos in race between billionaires
- Swashbuckling entrepreneur Richard Branson hurtled into space aboard his own winged rocket ship Sunday in his boldest adventure yet, beating out fellow billionaire Jeff Bezos. The nearly 71-year-old Branson and five crewmates from his Virgin Galactic space tourism company reached an altitude of about 53 miles over the New Mexico...
Advice to Bezos, Branson:
'Read the Room'
Jul 9, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
Advice to Bezos, Branson: 'Read the Room'
Critics weigh in on the billionaires' space race
- With Richard Branson and Jeff Bezos planning their first trips to space as dangerous heat waves intensify, some people suspect the billionaires are planning futures off the planet. Not going to happen, says Sim Kern in an essay at Salon . "As a scifi writer and the spouse of a...
Branson Invites Colbert to
Host Launch Livestream
Jul 9, 2021 8:02 AM CDT
Branson Invites Colbert to Host Launch Livestream
Billionaire will blast off Sunday morning
- Richard Branson is going to space on Sunday— nine days before rival billionaire Jeff Bezos—and he's now lined up a celebrity host for the livestream. Branson invited Stephen Colbert to host the Sunday morning event after the late-night host joked on Twitter about not being invited on the...
Another Billionaire Will Get
to Space 9 Days Before Bezos
Jul 2, 2021 6:34 AM CDT
Another Billionaire Will Get to Space 9 Days Before Bezos
Richard Branson will be on July 11 flight
- Jeff Bezos is going on what he calls his " greatest adventure " on July 20—but the Amazon founder won't be able to claim the title of "first billionaire to go to space in his own spacecraft." Virgin Galactic founder Richard Branson announced Thursday that he...
'Pinch Yourself:' Virgin
Launches Satellites From a 747
Jul 1, 2021 3:03 AM CDT
'Pinch Yourself:' Virgin Launches Satellites From a 747
7 satellites were from 3 countries
- Richard Branson’s Virgin Orbit delivered satellites from three countries into space on Wednesday, its second successful rocket launch from a plane. The company’s modified 747 jet, dubbed Cosmic Girl, took off from California’s Mojave Desert, carrying the 70-foot rocket beneath its left wing. Once the plane was...
2nd Time's the Charm:
Virgin Orbit Reaches Space
Jan 18, 2021 1:52 AM CST
2nd Time's the Charm: Virgin Orbit Reaches Space
Richard Branson's company succeeds Sunday, 8 months after failed flight
- Richard Branson's Virgin Orbit reached space on Sunday, eight months after the first demonstration flight of its air-launched rocket system failed, the company said. A 70-foot-long LauncherOne rocket was released from beneath the wing of a Boeing 747 carrier aircraft off the coast of Southern California, ignited moments later,...
Richard Branson's Virgin Orbit
Rocket Launch Ends Poorly
May 26, 2020 1:23 AM CDT
Richard Branson's Virgin Orbit Rocket Launch Ends Poorly
It's not yet clear what went wrong, but mission was terminated
- Richard Branson's Virgin Orbit failed Monday in its first test launch of a new rocket carried aloft by a Boeing 747 and released over the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Southern California, the AP reports. The inaugural launch had appeared to be going well until moments after the...
Branson Says He Will Use
Island to Secure Loans
Apr 20, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
Branson Says He Will Use Island to Secure Loans
Billionaire asks UK government for assistance
- Virgin chief Richard Branson is asking the British government for a bailout—and defending himself against critics who say a billionaire who doesn't pay British taxes shouldn't be asking for help. In an open letter to Virgin employees , Branson said he was asking for a government loan to...
Border With Brazil
Feb 22, 2019 7:44 AM CST
Venezuela's Border With Brazil 'Completely' Closed
President Nicolas Maduro warns border with Colombia may be next
- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has been pushing back against efforts to send humanitarian aid into his country, an initiative led by opposition leader Juan Guaido. The latest development in that conflict came Thursday night, with Maduro announcing on state TV that he was closing the border with Brazil "completely...
Dec 13, 2018 11:53 AM CST
Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic Reaches Space
It's a big milestone for the commercial space industry
- Virgin Galactic has officially reached space. Sir Richard Branson's company launched a spacecraft more than 50 miles into the air Thursday, not reaching orbit but successfully meeting the Federal Aviation Administration's definition of space, the
reports. It was the first spacecraft with humans aboard to be...
Branson: I'll Be in
Space Within 'Months'
Oct 9, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Branson: I'll Be in Space Within 'Months'
Virgin founder announces imminent test flights
- Justin Bieber and others with a $250,000 reservation to board Virgin Galactic's tourist spaceship won't have too much longer to wait. Richard Branson tells CNBC that commercial space test flights will begin in "weeks, not months," forging a path for the Virgin founder to board...
Mar 30, 2018 7:04 PM CDT
Las Vegas' Hard Rock Casino-Hotel Has New Billionaire Owner
'The guitar may not survive'
- The Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas will be overhauled over the next several months following its purchase Friday by billionaire Richard Branson, the AP reports. The property with about 1,500 rooms and suites off the Las Vegas Strip will eventually become Virgin Hotels Las Vegas. It...
Billionaire Branson Reveals 2
Crazy Scams—and 1 Worked
Oct 18, 2017 7:19 AM CDT
Billionaire Branson Reveals 2 Crazy Scams—and 1 Worked
Conman impersonates him, scores $2M from a Branson friend
- Billionaire Richard Branson thinks one conman, apparently a master impersonator, is getting rich off his name. In a blog post , the Virgin Group founder reveals two scams in the last year, one of which worked and netted the con artist $2 million. "This story sounds like it has come...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
200 People Drift Away While Ice Fishing in Minnesota
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.