Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Boeing 737 Max Is
Cleared for Takeoff
Nov 18, 2020 9:35 AM CST
Boeing 737 Max Is Cleared for Takeoff
After fixes, issue with plane's nose 'can no longer happen'
- Following two fatal crashes and 20 months on the ground, the Boeing 737 Max has been cleared to fly in the US. The FAA said Wednesday that a review process was complete and the plane could take to the skies—but only after necessary changes are made, pilots receive simulator...
Southwest Makes Move It
Says Is Backed by Science
Oct 23, 2020 3:34 AM CDT
Southwest Makes Move It Says Is Backed by Science
It will start putting passengers in middle seats again
- After announcing the biggest loss in its history Thursday, Southwest Airlines said it plans to unblock middle seats and allow flights to operate at full capacity over the holidays, starting Dec 1. The airline said studies show people are highly unlikely to get infected with the coronavirus on a flight...
The Plane Touched Down.
Suddenly, a Man Appeared
May 8, 2020 7:17 AM CDT
The Plane Touched Down. Suddenly, a Man Appeared
Southwest jetliner kills adult male on runway in Austin, Texas
- A man was struck and killed by a commercial jet landing on a runway at an airport in Austin, Texas, authorities said. The pilot of Southwest Airlines Flight 1392, a Boeing 737 arriving from Dallas, reported seeing a person on Runway 17R at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. The sighting occurred shortly...
Mar 10, 2020 11:21 AM CDT
Southwest CEO Takes Pay Cut
Gary Kelly trims salary 10% as airlines cut back over coronavirus slowdown
- The airline industry is getting slammed by the coronavirus outbreak, and airlines are responding accordingly. Southwest CEO Gary Kelly is taking a 10% pay cut, reports the
Wall Street Journal
, while United CEO Oscar Munoz and United President Scott Kirby are forgoing their base salaries until at least the end...
Boeing to Shut Down
737 MAX Production
Dec 16, 2019 5:45 PM CST
Boeing to Shut Down 737 MAX Production
US economy likely to feel the effects
- With its backlog of 737 MAX planes growing to about 400, Boeing plans to suspend production of the grounded airliner next month. The company has lacked regulator approval to fly the plane since March, after two of the jets crashed and killed a total of 346 people. Layoffs aren't...
38 Southwest Jets
Lack Proper Paperwork
Nov 12, 2019 11:43 AM CST
38 Southwest Jets Lack Proper Paperwork
Airline is speeding up inspections after FAA raised issues about inspections
- Southwest Airlines couldn't produce safety data for 38 jets, which caused the Federal Aviation Administration to consider—but ultimately delay—grounding those jets, the
Wall Street Journal
reveals. The airline brought 88 used foreign jets into its fleet between 2013 and 2017, and last year an FAA official uncovered...
Boeing's New Problem:
Planes Are Cracking
Oct 31, 2019 10:25 AM CDT
Boeing's New Problem: Planes Are Cracking
Up to 50 737NG planes have been grounded
- It's been a rough week for Boeing as its CEO was grilled by a Senate committee about deadly issues with the company's 737 Max jets and told to quit by the mother of a crash victim. And Thursday didn't make it any better: Boeing announced cracks had...
Against 2 Pilots
Oct 26, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
Attendant Makes Incredible Accusation Against 2 Pilots
Renee Steinaker is suing Southwest Airlines
- Flying Southwest? You might be on candid camera. A Southwest Airlines attendant claims she saw two pilots watching livestream video of the plane's lavatory during a 2017 flight,
reports. In a lawsuit, Renee Steinaker says she noticed the livestream on a cockpit iPad while the captain took...
Boeing 737 Max Could
Be Back in the Sky
Oct 9, 2019 11:16 AM CDT
Boeing 737 Max Could Be Back in the Sky Come January
Per a new American Airlines filing with the SEC
- All Boeing 737 Max aircraft were grounded after two crashes involving the jets over the past year killed a total of 346 people. But come January, the planes will likely be in the air again. American Airlines announced in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Wednesday that two software...
Southwest Pilots Sue Boeing
Over Grounded 737 Max
Oct 7, 2019 7:04 PM CDT
Southwest Pilots Sue Boeing Over Grounded 737 Max
Union says members are losing of millions of dollars per month
- Boeing has been sued by the Southwest Airlines pilots union, accused of hurrying its 737 Max into service while claiming it was safe. The plane was grounded after two fatal crashes. The suit says the grounding is costing the almost 10,000 union pilots millions of dollars a month, the...
Flier Charged Over Tantrum
Says He Was Just Being 'Rude'
in case you missed it
Aug 10, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Flier Charged Over Tantrum Says He Was Just Being 'Rude'
Justin Riley Brafford is fighting back over his October arrest
- Justin Riley Brafford was arrested last October over what happened on a Dallas-bound Southwest Airlines flight: He allegedly tried to flirt with the woman sitting next to him, going so far as to touch her multiple times. She asked the crew to move her, but Brafford allegedly approached her in...
Reporter Waiting for His Flight
Witnesses Something 'Beautiful'
Aug 9, 2019 6:58 AM CDT
Reporter Waiting for His Flight Witnesses Something 'Beautiful'
On inbound plane, the remains of an American who died in Vietnam, flown home by son
- Bryan Knight was 5 years old when he saw his father depart Dallas Love Field Airport for Vietnam. It was January 1967. On Thursday, Knight returned to the same airport, ferrying his father's remains. The Southwest captain had arranged to be the one to fly the remains of Col....
Man's Kindness Toward Scared
Young Seatmate Goes Viral
in case you missed it
Jul 6, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Man's Kindness Toward Scared Young Seatmate Goes Viral
Ben Pedraza made sure 7-year-old autistic boy had fun and felt safe during his flight
- Alexa Bjornson was anxious about sending her 7-year-old son, Landon, on a plane by himself to see his dad in Oregon—not just because of Landon's age, but because he has high-functioning autism and was nervous about flying alone, per KATU . And so Bjornson penned a note to whoever...
Here Are the Main
US Airlines, Ranked
May 2, 2019 5:40 PM CDT
Here Are the Main US Airlines, Ranked
Alaska Airlines comes in at No. 1 overall, and it's also the safest
- While it always feels like a win to score a cheap plane ticket, price isn't the only factor that makes an airline desirable. WalletHub looked at the nine biggest domestic airlines, plus three regional carriers, examining four categories: safety; incidents involving animals; in-flight comfort and cost; and baggage, departures,...
Delta Has a New Crown
Apr 8, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
Delta Has a New Crown
Airline is top dog in US in annual survey
- Delta Air Lines comes in first in a long-running study that ranks US airlines by how often flights arrive on time and other statistical measures. Researchers who crunch the numbers also say that as a whole, US airlines are getting better at handling baggage and overcrowded flights and are getting...
Travelers Rate the
Best Airlines. There's
a Returning Champ
Apr 2, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Travelers Rate the Best Airlines. There's a Returning Champ
Congrats again to Singapore Airlines
- The champ reigns again in TripAdvisor's third annual list of the world's top 10 airlines, as decided by travelers. Singapore Airlines—one of four Asian carriers to make the 2019 list , which is actually chosen by an algorithm based on the quality and quantity of 2018 flier reviews—...
A Boeing 737 Max
Made an Emergency
Landing in Florida
Mar 26, 2019 4:44 PM CDT
A Boeing 737 Max Made an Emergency Landing in Florida
But it was related to engine trouble, not anti-stall software, officials say
- A Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 Max made a safe emergency landing Tuesday in Orlando, Florida, after experiencing an engine problem, the Federal Aviation Administration said. The crew declared an emergency after taking off from Orlando International Airport around 2:50pm, and returned to the airport safely, the AP reports. No...
Defective Bracket Blamed
for Airport Jet Bridge Collapse
Dec 31, 2018 12:21 AM CST
Defective Bracket Blamed for Airport Jet Bridge Collapse
6 injured in Baltimore incident
- Investigators found a defective metal bracket on a jet bridge that collapsed and injured six people at Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport, officials said Sunday. Metal brackets will be replaced on the jet bridge that collapsed Saturday and on five other jet bridges made by the same manufacturer, the Maryland...
Plane Turns Around After
'Life-Critical Cargo' Left Behind
Dec 14, 2018 9:52 AM CST
Plane Turns Around After 'Life-Critical Cargo' Left Behind
That would be a human heart, forgotten on a Southwest flight headed to Dallas
- The passengers on Southwest Flight 3606 were somewhere over Idaho Sunday when their captain came over the PA with a message: They were headed back to Seattle. That's because there was a "life-critical cargo shipment" that had been left on board, per the
: a donated human...
Southwest Sorry After Girl's
Unusual Name Causes a Fuss
Nov 29, 2018 1:57 PM CST
Southwest Sorry After Girl's Unusual Name Causes a Fuss
Abcde Redford's mom says gate agent 'mocked' 5-year-old's name
- Southwest Airlines was forced to apologize this week after a mom accused one of its employees of mocking her 5-year-old daughter's name a few weeks ago. Traci Redford was traveling home to El Paso, Texas, with daughter Abcde (pronounced Ab-city) when she heard the gate agent at John Wayne...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.