Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Woman Dies After
a Fall on Southwest
Airlines' Jet Bridge
Feb 1, 2023 12:59 AM CST
Woman Dies After a Fall on Southwest Airlines' Jet Bridge
Gaby Assouline was paralyzed from the neck down
- In February of last year, Gaby Assouline was boarding a Southwest Airlines flight when her electric wheelchair hit a junction on the jet bridge and flipped over, throwing her from the chair, her family says. Nearly a year later, the 25-year-old is dead. Assouline's family says she landed on...
The Ice Man Groundeth
1K Flights in Texas
Jan 31, 2023 11:25 AM CST
The Ice Man Groundeth 1K Flights in Texas
Southwest is not having a particularly cheery day again
- Winter weather brought ice to Texas and nearby states Tuesday, causing the cancellation of more than 1,300 flights and delaying nearly as many more. Numerous auto collisions were reported in Austin, with at least one fatality. In Travis County, Texas, which includes Austin, police and sheriff’s deputies have...
American, Southwest Post
Drastically Different Q4 Stats
Jan 26, 2023 8:35 AM CST
American, Southwest Post Drastically Different Q4 Stats
American sees a profit of $803M; Southwest takes $220M loss after a chaotic December
- American Airlines offered more proof Thursday of the recovery in air travel, posting a better-than-expected profit for the fourth quarter, while Southwest Airlines lost money because of massive flight cancellations last month. Southwest said it also expects another loss in the first quarter, though it added it was encouraged by...
Southwest Offers Passengers
'Goodwill Gesture' After
Jan 3, 2023 7:03 PM CST
Southwest Offers Passengers 'Goodwill Gesture' After Holiday Chaos
Those affected by delays, cancellations are being given 25K frequent flier points
- After chaos over the holidays disrupted travel for more than a million Southwest Airlines passengers, CEO Bob Jordan said "there's just no way almost to apologize enough." On Tuesday, the airline reached out with what it called a "gesture of goodwill"—25,000 frequent flyer...
Dec 30, 2022 12:54 PM CST
Southwest CEO: 'No Way to Apologize Enough'
Airline returns to a relatively normal day of flying on Friday
- Southwest Airlines returned to a relatively normal flight schedule Friday, as the focus shifts to making things right with more than a million passengers who missed flights during the holidays, and many of whom are still missing luggage. The Dallas carrier, which had canceled thousands of flights every day this...
Southwest Resuming Normal
Flight Schedule Friday
Dec 29, 2022 12:16 PM CST
Southwest Resuming Normal Flight Schedule Friday
After 3 days of chaos
- The Southwest travel nightmare might be near an end. The airline plans to operate a full schedule on Friday after canceling roughly two-thirds of its flights over the last three days, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. That amounts to about 15,000 canceled flights in a busy travel week, with...
United, American Cap Fares
to Help Southwest's Stranded
Dec 29, 2022 6:36 AM CST
United, American Cap Fares to Help Southwest's Stranded
Other airlines also try to accommodate customers left high and dry by thousands of nixed SW flights
- Amid travel woes involving Southwest Airlines ' customers this holiday week, two other major airlines are trying to mitigate the mess. CNN Business reports that United Airlines and American Airlines are limiting how much it costs to fly to and from certain cities on their own flights to help the...
Pete Buttigieg Gives
Southwest CEO a Warning
Dec 28, 2022 12:04 AM CST
Pete Buttigieg Gives Southwest CEO a Warning
Airline could face fines if legal obligations to customers are not met
- The Department of Transportation had warned it was looking into Southwest Airlines' massive problems over the last few days, and on Tuesday the department's secretary said he's offered a personal warning to the airline's CEO. "I made clear that our department will be holding them accountable...
A Look at Why Southwest
Is in Such a Mess
Dec 27, 2022 2:28 PM CST
A Look at Why Southwest Is in Such a Mess
Airline is operating only about a third of its schedule for the coming days
- On Monday, Southwest Airlines canceled a staggering 71% of its flights . Tuesday is pretty much the same—and Wednesday and Thursday likely won't be much better. The airline had scrapped about 62% of its flights on Tuesday and plans to keep the cuts in place through at least Thursday,...
Number of Canceled
Flights Is Pretty Wild
Dec 27, 2022 1:22 AM CST
Number of Canceled Southwest Airlines Flights Is Pretty Wild
Carrier canceled 71% of its flights Monday
- Travelers were dealing with flight delays and cancellations Monday, perhaps not surprising given the combination of holiday travel and the wild weather impacting much of the US. The shocking part? Just how massive a share of the flight cancellations Southwest Airlines accounted for. As CNN and NPR report, flight tracking...
an Odd One
Sep 2, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Southwest Pilot's Warning Was an Odd One
It wasn't about turbulence or an overbooked flight, but a passenger sending nude pics
- What happens in Texas apparently doesn't stay in Texas, because what took place on one Southwest Airlines flight getting ready to fly to Mexico is now making headlines all over the globe. That's thanks to a now-viral TikTok video taken by Teighlor Marsalis, who tells CNN she recorded...
Aug 23, 2022 2:18 PM CDT
The Best US Airlines, Ranked
The Points Guy crowns Delta as king
- The Points Guy website is out with its annual ranking of US airlines, and Delta comes out on top by a rather comfortable margin. The top-10 ranking takes into account all the factors you'd expect—on-time flights, cancellations, general reliability, cost, scheduling, frequent-flier perks, and more. Here are the...
Extra-Hard Landing Leads to
Unusual Flight Attendant Injury
Aug 9, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Extra-Hard Landing Leads to Unusual Flight Attendant Injury
Crew member on Southwest flight suffered broken back during rough touchdown in California
- A Southwest Airlines flight attendant suffered a compression fracture to a vertebra in her upper back during a hard landing last month in California, according to federal safety investigators. The National Transportation Safety Board said the impact of landing was so hard that the flight attendant thought the plane had...
Southwest Pilots Protest
in Dallas Over Fatigue, Stress
Jun 22, 2022 1:42 PM CDT
Southwest Pilots Protest in Dallas Over Fatigue, Stress
It's the latest sign that all is not well in the airline industry
- More than 1,300 uniformed Southwest Airlines pilots gathered at Dallas Love Field airport on Tuesday to protest working conditions. Per Business Insider, the pilots belong to the Southwest Airlines Pilot Association, a union representing nearly 10,000 aviators. They held signs that read, "Southwest’s operation: From first...
Sentencing in Flight Attendant
Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
May 28, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
Vyvianna Quinonez gets 15 months in prison for punching Southwest crew member in face
- A California woman who punched a Southwest Airlines flight attendant in the face during a flight, breaking her teeth, has been sentenced to 15 months in federal prison. Vyvianna Quinonez was also ordered Tuesday by the federal judge in San Diego to pay nearly $26,000 in restitution and a...
Airline Fills Fare Gap
With New Category
Mar 24, 2022 3:55 PM CDT
Airline Fills Fare Gap With New Category
Wanna Get Away Plus level is marketed toward business travelers
- Southwest Airlines will add a fourth fare category as part of changes designed to attract more business travelers and boost revenue. The new fare level will be priced higher than Southwest's cheapest tickets but below the airline's top two fare categories. Southwest executives think this will fill the...
Flight Attendants' Union
Peeved by Southwest Move
Feb 4, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Flight Attendants' Union Peeved by Southwest Move
It doesn't want to see the resumption of alcohol sales on flights
- Southwest Airlines will resume alcohol sales on most of its flights this month following a nearly two-year hiatus. COO Mike Van de Ven said last week that the resumption would likely come late in the first quarter or early in the next quarter, per CNBC . The date is now confirmed...
Is the Best
of All Major
Jan 28, 2022 10:30 AM CST
This Airline Is the Best of All Major US Carriers
'WSJ' puts Delta at the top of its annual list, JetBlue at the bottom
- Between industrywide woes , unruly passengers , and sharing a name with a coronavirus variant, one could say the pandemic has not been kind to Delta Air Lines. Now, a bit of good news has come Delta's way, as it takes the top spot in the
Wall Street Journal
Airlines Have a Dire
Warning on 5G Rollout
Jan 18, 2022 6:48 AM CST
Airlines Have a Dire Warning on 5G Rollout
They say it could lead to 'catastrophic' flight disruptions
- Verizon and AT&T are set to deploy new 5G service Wednesday—and in a letter to federal officials Monday, major airlines warned there could be "catastrophic" consequences. As Axios notes, the dispute between the airlines and the wireless companies has been going on a while, with the aviation...
Woman Pleads Guilty
to Attacking Flight Attendant
Dec 23, 2021 8:31 AM CST
Woman Pleads Guilty to Attacking Flight Attendant
Vyvianna Quinonez expected to get 4-month sentence plus 3-year flight ban
: California woman Vyvianna Quinonez has admitted attacking a Southwest flight attendant earlier this year and is likely to face prison time—plus a long ban from flying. The Sacramento resident pleaded guilty in federal court Wednesday to interfering with a flight attendant, NBC San Diego reports. According to a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
Funeral Home Staff Unzipped a Body Bag, Got Quite a Shock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.