Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Southwest Agent Hospitalized,
Passenger Taken to Jail
Nov 14, 2021 2:45 PM CST
Southwest Agent Hospitalized, Passenger Taken to Jail
Accused attacker was already being kicked off the flight
- In the latest update from the unfriendly skies, a Southwest Airlines operations agent was hospitalized after a passenger who was already in the process of being kicked off the plane hit her with a closed fist to the head. The agent, part of the airline staff that oversees boarding and...
of Human Trafficking
on Southwest Flight
Nov 8, 2021 2:35 AM CST
Mixed-Race Family Accused of Human Trafficking on Southwest Flight
Mom says Southwest Airlines employee made racist assumption
- After the sudden death of Mary MacCarthy's brother, the California woman and her 10-year-old daughter booked a last-minute flight to Denver to be with family. Upon arrival, two police officers met them on the jetway to question them, CNN reports. MacCarthy, in an email to Southwest obtained by the...
Pilot Cited for Assault
After Mask Dispute
Nov 3, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Pilot Cited for Assault After Mask Dispute
This one erupted between Southwest crew members at San Jose hotel bar
- A Southwest Airlines flight crew was enjoying an evening at a hotel bar in California last month when a mask dispute erupted between a flight attendant and a pilot, who's now accused of assault. An airline rep told
there was a "crew disagreement during an overnight...
Passengers Say They Heard
Pilot Say 'Let's Go Brandon'
Nov 1, 2021 12:15 AM CDT
Passengers Say They Heard Pilot Say 'Let's Go Brandon'
Southwest says it's investigating
- A Southwest Airlines pilot seems to have said “Let’s Go Brandon,” a phrase that has taken hold with right-wing supporters of Donald Trump, and a lot of people are not happy. A TikTok video featuring audio purported to be from that flight is making the rounds. A...
Southwest Won't Put
Unvaxxed Workers on Leave
Oct 19, 2021 11:25 AM CDT
Southwest Won't Put Unvaxxed Workers on Leave
Airline scraps its plan for December
Southwest Airlines has dropped plans to put unvaccinated workers on unpaid leave in December, reports CNBC . The airline originally told employees they must get their shots—unless they have a medical or religious exemption—to comply with new federal regulations. But the company now says those who fail to...
Oct 11, 2021 12:09 PM CDT
Chaos Continues for Southwest Passengers
Airline cancels hundreds more flights
- Southwest Airlines and its passengers had a rough weekend , and the problems spilled into Monday. The airline canceled about 2,000 flights from Friday through Sunday, amounting to a "meltdown in Southwest operations," per the
Dallas Morning News
. On Monday, it canceled about 365 more flights, or roughly...
Southwest, FAA Differ
on Why 1.8K Flights
Oct 11, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Southwest, FAA Differ on Why 1.8K Flights Were Canceled
And there's lots of speculation elsewhere that something else entirely is to blame
- Southwest Airlines canceled more than 1,800 flights over the weekend, and the Federal Aviation Administration begs to differ with the airline as to the reason. Southwest cited air-traffic control issues and "disruptive weather," but the FAA said in a statement, "No FAA air traffic staffing shortages...
Sep 3, 2021 9:22 AM CDT
Altercation Between Woman, Flight Attendant Turned Bloody
Passenger recorded May 23 encounter on Southwest Airlines flight
- A California woman is facing two felony charges after allegedly punching a flight attendant, who was left bloodied with three broken teeth. Vyvianna Quinonez of Antelope is charged with assault resulting in serious bodily injury and interfering with a flight crew—which could mean up to 20 years in prison...
Yet Another Airline
Pulls Back on the Booze
Jun 3, 2021 7:51 AM CDT
Yet Another Airline Pulls Back on the Booze
United joins Southwest, American in limiting or suspending alcohol service over unruly passengers
- A third airline has hopped on the "curtail alcohol" bandwagon after a slew of increasingly aggressive in-flight incidents, many related to unruly passengers balking at having to wear face masks. Airlines in general had suspended serving alcohol during the pandemic to limit passenger-flight attendant interaction and prevent spreading the...
Another Airline Issues
May 30, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Another Airline Issues Booze Ban
American follows suit with Southwest
- Another airline is suspending in-flight alcohol service in the wake of an attack that left a flight attendant with missing teeth. Per CNN , American Airlines has followed suit with Southwest, which delayed their planned return to alcohol service after the flight attendant was "seriously assaulted" by a passenger on...
Southwest Keeps Flights Dry
After Passenger Clashes
May 28, 2021 3:25 PM CDT
Southwest Keeps Flights Dry After Passenger Clashes
Alcohol service had been scheduled to resume this summer
- Southwest Airlines is delaying serving alcohol again on flights after an increase in incidents of unruly passengers. The airline was planning to resume selling alcohol next month on Hawaii flights and in July on other flights, the AP reports, a move that was questioned by the president of the union...
Flight Attendant Loses
2 Teeth in Assault
May 25, 2021 8:52 AM CDT
Flight Attendant Loses 2 Teeth in Assault
Southwest crew member hurt amid 'intolerable level' of passenger misconduct incidents
- A flight attendants union is pleading for more travel safeguards after an attack against a crew member on a Southwest flight over the weekend. Per a letter from Lyn Montgomery, president of Transport Workers Union Local 556, to the airline's CEO, a flight attendant was "seriously assaulted" by...
FAA: Told to Mask Up,
Passengers Got Physical
May 6, 2021 11:56 AM CDT
FAA: Told to Mask Up, Passengers Got Physical
Agency issues 4 fines totalling more than $67K
- Two travelers are facing a combined $50,000 in fines from the FAA, and not just for their lack of masks. Both are accused of assaulting flight attendants who called them out for their rule-breaking, per the
. A female passenger told to don a mask on a Feb. 7...
Pilot Exposed Himself
Mid-Flight, Police Say
Apr 6, 2021 4:00 AM CDT
Former Southwest Pilot Exposed Himself Mid-Flight, Police Say
He left the company before incident became known
- Michael Haak was piloting a Southwest Airlines plane when he allegedly engaged in lewd behavior mid-flight, police say. Haak left the airline before it became aware of the situation, the company says in a statement. He is accused of exposing his genitals during the flight, which took off from Philly...
Hot Mic Picks Up Pilot
Ranting Against Liberals
Mar 26, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Hot Mic Picks Up Pilot Ranting Against Liberals
And Hyundais, in Southwest Airlines audio caught on air traffic control scanner
- Rule No. 1 of wearing a microphone: Always assume it's a hot one. A Southwest Airlines pilot found that out the hard way after his rant against liberals and a certain car manufacturer got picked up by air traffic control. Per travel site One Mile at a Time , the...
Test Domestic Passengers?
Bad Idea, Say the Airlines
Jan 29, 2021 11:01 AM CST
Test Domestic Passengers? Bad Idea, Say the Airlines
The CDC is 'actively looking at' such a rule
- Health officials in the Biden administration have floated the idea of requiring passengers on domestic flights to show proof of a negative COVID test. On Thursday, executives of major airlines made clear they hate the idea. "A mistake" and a "real goat rodeo" were two of the quotes...
The 2020 Losses
Are In for Airlines
Jan 28, 2021 6:25 PM CST
The 2020 Losses Are In for Airlines
Southwest finishes the year in the red for the first time in decades
- Just how bad was 2020 for the airline industry? The six biggest US airlines lost $34 billion, and Southwest suffered its first full-year loss since Richard Nixon was president and gasoline sold for 36 cents a gallon. It was a disaster for airlines, worse than 9/11 or the global financial...
Boeing Max Is
Back on US Route
Dec 29, 2020 2:36 PM CST
Boeing Max Is Back on US Route
Plane was grounded last year after two crashes
- American Airlines flew a Boeing 737 Max with paying passengers from Miami to New York on Tuesday, the plane's first commercial flight in US skies since it was grounded after two deadly crashes. American Flight 718 carried about 100 passengers, according to an airline spokeswoman, and landed Tuesday afternoon...
Boeing 737 Max Is
Cleared for Takeoff
Nov 18, 2020 9:35 AM CST
Boeing 737 Max Is Cleared for Takeoff
After fixes, issue with plane's nose 'can no longer happen'
- Following two fatal crashes and 20 months on the ground, the Boeing 737 Max has been cleared to fly in the US. The FAA said Wednesday that a review process was complete and the plane could take to the skies—but only after necessary changes are made, pilots receive simulator...
Southwest Makes Move It
Says Is Backed by Science
Oct 23, 2020 3:34 AM CDT
Southwest Makes Move It Says Is Backed by Science
It will start putting passengers in middle seats again
- After announcing the biggest loss in its history Thursday, Southwest Airlines said it plans to unblock middle seats and allow flights to operate at full capacity over the holidays, starting Dec 1. The airline said studies show people are highly unlikely to get infected with the coronavirus on a flight...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oprah on Beverly Hills Murder: 'World Is Upside Down'
Snowstorm Strands Dozens in IKEA Overnight
Aariel Maynor Arrested in Jacqueline Avant Murder
Sheriff: Church Musician Killed His Family, Then Called Cops
'The Big Ragoo' Has Died at 69
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.